Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2021, 07:02 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times

Advertisements

To satisfy whiny sports writers, and make a ton of money off advertisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2021, 07:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
What is the purpose of the BCS?
To make money.

If they wanted an actual champion, they'd do what every other NCAA sport does, including all other levels of gridiron besides I-AA (the 127 D1A/FCS, 320 D2, 450 D3 schools). Play a tournament.

Old 12-04-2021, 05:56 PM

17,986 posts, read 27,444,769 times
Quote:
What is the purpose of the BCS?...?

So the same boring ast four teams can play each other for the same boring ast championship.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:21 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,544 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

I do not like the SEC. It is over hyped, over marketed and there are, as you know, 893 Colleges football programs. each with players and fans who enjoy the game as much as fans of SEC. However, the 12 teams of the SEC Get 98.9 Percent of the media coverage and always at least 50% of the playoff positions! not at all a FAIR system.
1. the SEC has 14 teams.

2. If you averaged the top 25 recruiting classes over the last 5 years, they are as follows

#1 Georgia
#2 Alabama
#3 Ohio State
#4 LSU
#5 Clemson
#6 Oklahoma
#7 Texas AM
#8 Florida
#9 Texas
#10 Michigan
#11 Oregon
#12 Notre Dame
#13 Auburn
#14 Penn State
#15 Miami
#16 Tennessee
#17 FSU
#18 USC
#19 Washington
#20 South Carolina
#21 Nebraska
#22 Mississippi State
#23 Va Tech
#24 Ole Miss
#25 Arkansas

11 of 14 in the top 25

Kentucky is #33
Missouri is #38
Vandy is #59

3., 893 teams are not eligible for the College football playoffs, only 129 are.

4. the SEC has only gotten 2 teams in the CFP once, 2017, and Clemson was clearly not the best team that year

every other year, the committee has selected 4 conference champions or 3 champs plus 12-0 /10-1 Notre Dame

Your anger has to be that Alabama wins(not even the SEC, just Bama)

Old 12-11-2021, 06:58 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Regardless of the system in place it will never be enough. The BCS was created to put to rest the national championship ties that only occurred every so often (in fact rarely occurred).

The playoff system was created because the BCS was flawed because well as recent events have shown people don't trust in science.

The playoff system has shown that in fact a room full of people can not in fact be trusted with even getting a 4 team college football playoff correct.

Going to 8 or 12 teams in a playoff will be followed by cries for 16 and eventually a 32 team playoff.

In the end the college football season will begin in mid August and end some time around March Madness in the future.

Lastly I'll point out that people moan and complain about the lack of oversight when it comes to the NCAA. Well where's the oversight for the playoff committee? Who serves to keep them in check? Since there is no set criteria of boxes to check the playoff is in reality simply an "invitational". An unchecked body offers invites to four schools who may or may not be worthy to compete for a championship that is well literally Unsanctioned.

The college football playoff system is in essence a cartel.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:50 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
1. the SEC has 14 teams.

Your anger has to be that Alabama wins(not even the SEC, just Bama)
You have some good points, but it has nothing to do with Alabama, which I do not want to watch any more or less than the other 13 teams you mentioned. I just do not like following that conference, which is a shame for me because IF I turn on a sports show like ESPN Sports Central in America today, they mostly talk about the SEC.

I had proposed a playoff system that would allow conference champions and at large runners up (which would probably be from the SEC and Notre Dame) to play a playoff tournament, and to shorten the regular season by one game. I seem to be the only cat who thinks it is a good idea.

In regards to the poor announcing of the SEC, I recently discovered the SAP Button on the remote....push it, and the program is overdubbed in Spanish. No more listening to losers like Gary Danielson or Beth Mowins. And it works on the NFL too Goodbye Troy Aikman and Brent Muscberger.

Either way, the Bowls start Friday and I will enjoy watching as many as I can. We 2 1/2 full weeks of Bowls on the slate....some of them are going to be really good games.

Old 12-11-2021, 08:56 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,265,421 times
The payoff is indeed an invitational. One example is bowl games. Look at G5 vs P5 access to New Years and playoff bowl games, and also look at the payout of New Years and playoff bowl games... G5 has to meet EXTRA criteria just to get a whiff of those bowls. Then look at the 2nd best AAC team paired off in a bowl game with the worst bowl eligible team in the SEC. Really? But but but the SEC is so big and powerful, it's only fair... No it's not. Fair is same access to bowl games, same media exposure, fair rankings with no brand inflation, etc. We are a far cry from that.

Old 12-11-2021, 11:41 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
What is the purpose of the BCS?

Actually, I was fine with the old system.
To me, it became all about the money.
Tim, good post.
I'm with you, I'm a big college football fan, and was never bothered by the shared national championship years. I think most people didn't really care (but I can't prove/cite that). But college football saw the popularity of March Madness, and realized the additional money making potential of league championship games, and a Final Four of their own. I don't begrudge them for wanting to make $, but it's an insult to intelligence to frame it as if they were desperately seeking fairness. All the same poll biases still exist thru the regular season. And for the most part, who cares.. It's a fun spectacle, and national pastime. I've grown to hate the staged hand-wringing around college football's imperfections. I just wish the institution of major program college football would stop pretending its about anything other than a business endeavor at this point.. TV revenue & developing NFL talent.. their supposed pursuit of fairness is a charade.

Old 12-11-2021, 12:42 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
The BCS was simply a system used to determine who played for the national championship.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:29 AM

25,690 posts, read 12,772,161 times
The purpose of the BCS is to give other teams a chance to see how they stack up against the top SEC teams.

This year, it didn't go so well for the other teams.

Looking at the recruiting classes for 2021 & 2022, I don't see anything changing anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football