Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 10:45 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times

Advertisements

what the hell is a D2 team? is that like mount union?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
If you are referring to Appalachian State, that schol is D1AA, not D2. Big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
what the hell is a D2 team? is that like mount union?

North Dakota, North Dakota St are just two I can think of. Mt Union is D 3

Old 10-25-2008, 11:52 AM

that's confusing. who is the D2 champ? I know mt. union is usually in the championship games for D3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
North Dakota, North Dakota St are just two I can think of. Mt Union is D 3

Old 10-25-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
that's confusing. who is the D2 champ? I know mt. union is usually in the championship games for D3.
Last year it was Valdosta State this year the top team is Grand Valley St. Not really teams you hear alot about

Old 10-25-2008, 12:18 PM

I have heard of both of those schools. one's in georgia and one's in michigan I think. unless I am way off!

Quote:
Last year it was Valdosta State this year the top team is Grand Valley St. Not really teams you hear alot about

Old 10-25-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I have heard of both of those schools. one's in georgia and one's in michigan I think. unless I am way off!
Yea Grand Valley is in Michigan, have to take your word on Valdosta State

I remember hearing about a RB last year from what I thought was a D-2 school who was supposed to enter the draft, I don't recall if he got picked or not. They said he was one of the best RB's in D-2 history as far as yards I think.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:11 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
I don't think there is a huge difference between players say in the MWC,WAC than in the SEC,Pac 10,Big 12. I've seen some of the athletes in those conferences and to be honest theres a huge amount of a difference.
i am sorry

please explain, I am a little confused

Old 10-25-2008, 03:24 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
i am sorry

please explain, I am a little confused
You said

but then what about D1A football players and D1AA football players
and
or even mid majors and elite conference.

The above quote of mine was for the mid majors and elite conference. Pretty much what I was trying to say is that there isn't a huge difference in skills of players in the MWC and WAC compared to some of the elite conferences. If thats any easier for you to understand??

Old 10-25-2008, 03:29 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,227 times
Quote:
Yea Grand Valley is in Michigan, have to take your word on Valdosta State

I remember hearing about a RB last year from what I thought was a D-2 school who was supposed to enter the draft, I don't recall if he got picked or not. They said he was one of the best RB's in D-2 history as far as yards I think.
that was either xavier omon or danny woodhead. woodhead i think went to the giants as an undrafted free agent, but i think he's no longer there because of some injury. omon was selected sometime in the middle of the draft. i really haven't heard much more about him. danny woodhead is the all-time leading rusher in D2 from chadron state; he was somewhere around 5'-6" tall. very small guy. omon was a big guy from southwest missouri state, who lost to valdosta state in the '07 D2 nat'l championship. omon had dominated every defense he faced until valdosta state shut him down.

many top-tier D2 programs have athletes that can compete with D1, and there are many D1 transfers at these programs. D2 just can't get the same depth as D1; mainly because of scholarship limits. D1 has 85, whereas D2 is somewhere around 36 scholarships that can be divided up, and usually are, into partial scholarships. some D2 conferences set the limit even lower.

Valdosta State is in the gulf-south conference, which is comparable to the SEC in D2 football. Univ. of North Alabama and Delta State are also in this conference, and are extremely good.

visit D2Football.com - Division II Football for more information on D2.

Valdosta's website is Valdosta State University Athletic Department

Old 10-27-2008, 12:19 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
Yeah, there are a bunch of great D I-AA teams that could compete, but D-II is a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football