Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM

8,954 posts, read 17,212,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
They could both go to BCS bowls quite easily this year if they both win out. All they have to do is be ranked 12th or higher in the final BCS poll, or be in the top 16 and ranked higher than a BCS CC ( right now they meet BOTH of those criteria)
Actually, in that scenario, only the higher ranked team gets an automatic berth. If Utah finishes 8, and Boise State finishes 10th, Utah gets the automatic bid. Boise State would have to hope for an at-large invite, which is unlikely, but possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,587,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Actually, in that scenario, only the higher ranked team gets an automatic berth. If Utah finishes 8, and Boise State finishes 10th, Utah gets the automatic bid. Boise State would have to hope for an at-large invite, which is unlikely, but possible.

Yeah I just realized that. Kind of stinks IMO. I would say that an at large invite is very likely since the ACC, Big Ten, and Big East 2nd place finishers are not going have very good records at all.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:51 AM

8,954 posts, read 17,212,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Yeah I just realized that. Kind of stinks IMO. I would say that an at large invite is very likely since the ACC, Big Ten, and Big East 2nd place finishers are not going have very good records at all.
There are 10 spots available. Big East and ACC each get one. The Pac-10 gets one. The Big Ten gets one, two if Penn State goes to the BCS title game. The Rose always seems to take the best Big Ten team available, fair or not. That is what they want. Meaning, Ohio State would get in over Boise State. Remember Illinois from last year? SEC and Big XII will send two. Utah makes ten. Boise would be left out.

EDIT: Please don't think I am anti-Boise State. I would love to see them and Utah both play in BCS games. I am just trying to keep things in perspective. Whatever Penn State does, it will likely come down to Ohio State and Boise State for the last at-large spot. A two loss Ohio State team, deserving or not, would probably get picked. They are a national program with a national following that will generate a lot of revenue. Boise State is no where near that. This is why I think Ohio State would get picked over Boise, especially if Penn State is in the national championship.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 11-07-2008 at 11:26 AM..

Old 11-07-2008, 01:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,439,968 times
My game of the year is Utah V BYU, that'll decide all the BCS talk. For me this game is the most exciting rivalry out there. All exciting finishes. Heres a classic finish from the game 2 years ago

YouTube - BYU vs. Utah 2006 Final Play Must See!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:24 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,696,737 times
I'm still not sold on non-bcs teams being able to compete with the big boys on a weekly basis (i live in boise, so don't tell anyone I said this )

With that said, I think if Boise State joined the Mtn West, they would be worthy of consideration. Boise State, Utah, BYU and TCU in the same conferance would give them all legitmacy as well as help build their exposure and programs. If that were to happen I would rate the Mtn. West easily ahead of the Big East for an auto BCS birth.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
I'm still not sold on non-bcs teams being able to compete with the big boys on a weekly basis (i live in boise, so don't tell anyone I said this )

With that said, I think if Boise State joined the Mtn West, they would be worthy of consideration. Boise State, Utah, BYU and TCU in the same conferance would give them all legitmacy as well as help build their exposure and programs. If that were to happen I would rate the Mtn. West easily ahead of the Big East for an auto BCS birth.
Good to see someone else who supports a WAC team!
I'll gurantte you guys will get a good workout in Reno vs Nevada.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 PM

I'm watching NV play right now, and I have to say that I'm impressed.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:26 PM

Quote:
I'm watching NV play right now, and I have to say that I'm impressed.
I'm listening to it some can't really jugde their performance other than the stats. Our rushing game is our biggest plus, defence is shocking (alright in this game though).

All in all I think Boise State's QB Moore will carve up our defence, we should keep it close (no promises though) but Boise State comes out on top.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:28 PM

I agree that BSU will come out on top. I'm by no means a Boise homer, I've only live here for a year and did not go to school there, but I do find myself getting caught up in the hype. With that said, pretty much any team in the top 10, outside of Utah, would have their way with BSU 4 out of 5 games.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
I agree that BSU will come out on top. I'm by no means a Boise homer, I've only live here for a year and did not go to school there, but I do find myself getting caught up in the hype. With that said, pretty much any team in the top 10, outside of Utah, would have their way with BSU 4 out of 5 games.
The good thing about BSU is that their team is so young, that statement in bold might chance in a few seasons time given alot of them are FR and SO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football