Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:21 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,184,209 times

Advertisements

I believe the Texas fan's gripe should rest solely with the Big 12 who uses this system.

I'll bet if the Big 12 system of picking a division champ was different and favored Texas, there would be no complaining.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:19 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,977,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Second, in a BCS computer; OU crushing three teams in the top 13 (Tx Tech, TCU, Cincinnati) puts them over the top of Texas, whose non conference schedule consisted of Florida Atlantic, Rice, UTEP, and a sub-.500 Arkansas team. Say what you will about Tech, TCU, and Cincy; they are all three in the BCS top 13, and they all three got obliterated by the Sooners. In a computer, this puts them over the top.
Make that FOUR top teams. OSU was ranked 12th when OU beat them by 20 points. And Texas beat them by 4?

Maybe Texas should join the WAC, make them 11-0 every year.........at least in conference play

Old 12-02-2008, 10:30 PM

5,412 posts, read 15,918,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
Actually, the SEC has the same rule the Big XII does with one difference. It is the highest ranked team in the BCS that wins the tie breaker. The difference is the SEC tiebreaker says that in the event of a three-way tie, the team that is rated the highest will be the division champion unless the second-highest team is within five places in the BCS standings. Then it reverts to head-to-head competition. In that scenario,Texas would be in the Big XII title game over Oklahoma.
Thanks for filling in the details. I didn't know the "within 5 places in the BCS standings" part.

Changing topics slightly, if somehow MO pulls the upset and beats OU, does it mean that TX will def. play the winner of AL/FL for the main BCS Bowl? Or could USC or another team get that spot, somehow? Obviously, MO won't.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Thanks for filling in the details. I didn't know the "within 5 places in the BCS standings" part.

Changing topics slightly, if somehow MO pulls the upset and beats OU, does it mean that TX will def. play the winner of AL/FL for the main BCS Bowl? Or could USC or another team get that spot, somehow? Obviously, MO won't.

Thats the question I would have. If you look at the BCS rankings Texas has a pretty big lead over USC, however who knows what the computers would do.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:57 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,604,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Thats the question I would have. If you look at the BCS rankings Texas has a pretty big lead over USC, however who knows what the computers would do.

Who says uf will jump ut if they beat 'bama? If you look at the computers uf is waaaay behind ut. Who says ut won't jump back over OUr team if we win? This sunday may be just as interesting as last week, you never know with the BcS, gotta love it.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Who says uf will jump ut if they beat 'bama? If you look at the computers uf is waaaay behind ut. Who says ut won't jump back over OUr team if we win? This sunday may be just as interesting as last week, you never know with the BcS, gotta love it.
One of the computer polls has Utah as the #2 team in the country, I mean come on. They are unbeaten but I think OU, Texas, USC, UF would all beat Utah. Nerds deciding college football, sad very sad.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:18 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,238,998 times
Well I'm still waiting on whether of not the Wolfpack will get into a bowl. Since the ACC is putting so many teams this year into one, we may be left out. Good news is there is a shortage of eligbile teams in other major conferences.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:
One of the computer polls has Utah as the #2 team in the country, I mean come on. They are unbeaten but I think OU, Texas, USC, UF would all beat Utah. Nerds deciding college football, sad very sad.
Face it, as long as the nerds are makin' bank off this system, don't expect it to change.....

Old 12-03-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Well I'm still waiting on whether of not the Wolfpack will get into a bowl. Since the ACC is putting so many teams this year into one, we may be left out. Good news is there is a shortage of eligbile teams in other major conferences.

Sportsline has you guys projected to play in the Eagle bank Bowl vs Navy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Face it, as long as the nerds are makin' bank off this system, don't expect it to change.....

It makes you mad I mean a playoff settle on the field. You would think that with as many people, and just on this board alone, saying they want a playoff they would do something, but no.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:02 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,893,205 times
Quote:

It makes you mad I mean a playoff settle on the field. You would think that with as many people, and just on this board alone, saying they want a playoff they would do something, but no.
Yep.

But hey, it's all about the money..... common sense is ALWAYS thrown aside when dead presidents are thrown in your face and you have power.

Texas is just the latest victim of the BCS....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football