Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:30 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times

Advertisements

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Late season homer just found the football forum?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 08:48 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
The BCS is ridiculous. Texas got hosed. How can a team lose out on a chance to play for the NC to a team it beat by 10 points? Absolutely ridiculous. Boise State also got screwed. They went 12-0, beat Oregon, are ranked # 9 in the BCS, and they don't get a BCS bowl game?!?! Also, what's worse is that OHIO STATE got in ahead of them after being ranked below Boise, getting blown out TWICE, and playing a very weak schedule. Terrible!

How can you possibly decide a "champion" out of 6 one-loss teams? Is Florida better than USC? How about Oklahoma versus Alabama? Texas or Texas Tech? Which loss was better? The only truly objective way of evaluating teams is the win loss record, and by that standard Utah should be plaing Boise State for the title. These are the ONLY two teams that beat everyone on their schedule this season. "But they played a weak schedule!" Sure, strength of schedule counts, but even that is subjective. Ohio State played a weak schedule and lost twice - and still made it to the BCS.

The ONLY way to settle this is a playoff. As far as I'm concerned, there IS NO national championship in college football. Without a playoff, there can be no true champion.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:49 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I like Florida playing but Oklahoma shouldn't have made it, it should have been Texas. While Oklahoma has had a good year, Texas still beat them on a neutral field. I figure Florida will win and that works for me since I much prefer the SEC anyway, at least they have a fair playoff system. Hopefully we will see a change in the Big 12 and quit letting the folks back east vote.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep this to the other threads discussing who belongs in the game.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's just talk about the game here!

Sooners and Gators ONLY!!

I will start.

I think it will be interesting to see how Bradford handles the Florida D. I think the line can, and needs to, give him time to pick apart the secondary.

I think Florida has an advantage; but I would like to see the Sooners win. I always root for a team that can shut up the haters (such as myself).

Old 12-08-2008, 09:06 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,291,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep this to the other threads discussing who belongs in the game.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's just talk about the game here!

Sooners and Gators ONLY!!

Can I second this I mean we have debated this til we are blue in the face enough is enough. Thats from a Texas fan by the way

I would say OU is going up against one of the better defenses it has faced and Florida is going up vs one of the best offenses it has faced. If one team can win time of possession and keep the other off the field then they should have an advantage. Of course I can see just back and forth all night.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:05 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I like Florida playing but Oklahoma shouldn't have made it, it should have been Texas. While Oklahoma has had a good year, Texas still beat them on a neutral field. I figure Florida will win and that works for me since I much prefer the SEC anyway, at least they have a fair playoff system. Hopefully we will see a change in the Big 12 and quit letting the folks back east vote.
Get over it all ready.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
[quote=Packersnut21;6481593]Can I second this I mean we have debated this til we are blue in the face enough is enough. Thats from a Texas fan by the way

I would say OU is going up against one of the better defenses it has faced and Florida is going up vs one of the best offenses it has faced. If one team can win time of possession and keep the other off the field then they should have an advantage. Of course I can see just back and forth all night.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it just feels like its going to be one of those games where whoever has the ball last may very well just win it all. No dobut though whoever has the most possession is going to win it.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:49 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
I think the thing that could have a impact on the game is special teams. OU has had it's struggles, look at Shipley having the KO return for a TD. Now Harvin is faster and as he has shown very dangerous returning kicks. I could see this changing the game.

I have to agree with you there. If OU doesn't shore up some glaring problems on special teams that could be their demise. Hopefully Stoops will make some improvements in that area before the title game.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Oklahoma's gonna have to come up with some Kryptonite to stop Superman if they want to win this game.

And they've got to stop being Chokelahoma. Especially because Florida's essentialy on home turf.

If OU can do those two things, this'll be (almost) as good a game as the Texas-USC game was.

If not, this could be more like the NC games involving Ohio State.

GO GATORS

Old 12-09-2008, 02:14 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Especially because Florida's essentialy on home turf.
I was thinking this very same thing today.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:50 PM

612 posts, read 1,843,607 times
It's a tough match-up. I think it's going to be a close one and no... OU will not score 60plus. Hear me out:

OFFENSE: OKLAHOMA
Both quarterbacks are Heisman cadidates and Tebow won it last year. Tebow produced more stats but Sam Bradford was able to lead his team to not one, not two but FIVE straight 60 plus point games and a few of those games were against a ranked team.

Oklahoma has the running game as well with Chris Brown and DeMarco Murray who both combined for close to 2,000 yards and 30 something TD's. Florida has more runners with the RB's and Tebow himself but OU has another edge.

Florida has the speed and elusiveness with the receivers but last I heard Florida's top receiver is coming off with an injury. Florida can win with the receivers if they stay healthy.

DEFENSE: FLORIDA
Check their defensive stats and you'll see why. They are dominant in the NCAA in almost everything especially with interceptions and points allowed.

SPECIAL TEAMS: EVEN
The kicking game I'm not seeing much impact. If I was to choose for that area, I would choose Florida based on numbers. Florida's James has two special teams return TD's so that gives them an advantage.

FIELD ADVANTAGE: FLORIDA
They're in Florida, need I say more?

In the end, I think it's the offense that's gonna win the game so my decision is going to have to be Oklahoma but in a very much match-up. It's going to be who has the ball last.

Final Score:
Oklahoma: 35
Florida: 28

Feel free to argue this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football