Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:22 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,543,599 times

Advertisements

Of the 119 head coaches of the "Football Bowl Division"--basically Division 1--only 3 of those coaches are Black.

Is this a problem? If so, how best to remedy the problem? If it's not a problem, what's the rationale for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 02:48 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
I read this article that discusses this topic in the context of Turner Gill yesterday: FOX Sports on MSN - COLLEGE FOOTBALL - Gill needs to find program that fits him

I found it pretty insightful. I think when the right black coach finds the right school, you'll begin to see a huge shift in the spectrum of college coaches. I think many schools need to be more willing to talk to black coaches though. There's lots of talented and smart coaches out there of all different colors and someone may just find the next great Old Ball Coach.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:34 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Best fit gets the job. Period. The racism deal is a bunch of BS.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:15 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,289,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
Of the 119 head coaches of the "Football Bowl Division"--basically Division 1--only 3 of those coaches are Black.

Is this a problem? If so, how best to remedy the problem? If it's not a problem, what's the rationale for it?

Maybe im off base here but it just seems people care more about football than race. For all that's at stake for a college AD, you would hope he chose the best guy for the job based on who he thinks can win. It's a good point that just because he is black and Auburn was open doesn't mean he should of gotten or taken the job. I think Auburn got the wrong guy anyway, a defensive coach when their defense wasn't the problem. They needed some one like a Mike Leech or some one who is an offensive mindset.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
That's an interesting take. Slightly more than 50% (I think) of college players are Black. It seems that they are the "best fit". So, by your logic, shouldn't slightly more than 50% of the head coaches be Black, according to the "best fit" model?

Last edited by backfist; 12-22-2008 at 06:23 AM..

Old 12-22-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Maybe im off base here but it just seems people care more about football than race. For all that's at stake for a college AD, you would hope he chose the best guy for the job based on who he thinks can win. It's a good point that just because he is black and Auburn was open doesn't mean he should of gotten or taken the job. I think Auburn got the wrong guy anyway, a defensive coach when their defense wasn't the problem. They needed some one like a Mike Leech or some one who is an offensive mindset.
You'd have a valid point if the issue were isolated to Auburn and one or two other schools. But as I mentioned, there are 119 "Bowl" schools.

Are you suggesting that in the remaining 116 schools, that it's merely a coincidence that none of those head coaches are Black?

Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
I read this article that discusses this topic in the context of Turner Gill yesterday: FOX Sports on MSN - COLLEGE FOOTBALL - Gill needs to find program that fits him

I found it pretty insightful. I think when the right black coach finds the right school, you'll begin to see a huge shift in the spectrum of college coaches. I think many schools need to be more willing to talk to black coaches though. There's lots of talented and smart coaches out there of all different colors and someone may just find the next great Old Ball Coach.
That may be an excuse for hiring a failed Dan Chizik, instead of a successful Turner Gill. But we're talking about 119 "Bowl" schools. At some point--at least to the intellectually honest person--don't the excuses run out?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:52 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,207,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
That's an interesting take. Slightly more than 50% (I think) of college players are Black. It seems that they are the "best fit". So, by your logic, shouldn't slightly more than 50% of the head coaches be Black, according to the "best fit" model?
The NFL is racist, because there are almost no white running backs and wide receivers. WE NEED CHANGE!

Old 12-22-2008, 03:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
99% of college president are White. They hire ADs

99% of Athletic Directors are White. They hire coaches

99% of Coaches are White. Why are we surprised?

Eastern Michigan just hired Ron English. RE was lucky to get away from the Steve Klownthorpe trainwreck in Louisville before his own head coaching future got derailed. Even RE couldn't get U of L to play good defense this year

Old 12-22-2008, 03:03 PM

8,801 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I agree. If the guy knows how to recruit, win games, and is an overall tough as nails coach, he's hired regardless of his race, height, weight, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football