Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 PM

905 posts, read 2,395,249 times

Advertisements

Really the 8 team playoff seems like the best bet, and least complicated for people to understand. Also, the top 8 is usually a pretty solid group of teams, any more than that and it's bringing in teams who really should not have a claim to be national champions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 06:36 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,830,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
You honestly think Florida Atlantic should be able to play for a national title? Sorry, but in 28 team playoff; unless FAU is playing Marshall in the first round every year, they are one and done 90% of the time. I get the sentiment to give the mid-majors a chance, but not on a large scale. When is the last time a 16 seed in the NCAA tourney won a tourney game? NEVER. How often will the Western Kentuckys or the Tulanes of the world win a game at a top ranked SEC school in a meaningful playoff game? I would guess once every thousand tries. Sure, once every twenty years you might have a "George Mason" show up in the final four, but even they got crushed by an eventual national champ. I would love to see a college playoff; but if you want to protect the "importance of the regular season," you have to stop at 8. You let a Utah in and see what they can do; but you can't let in every mediocre 5 loss mid-major into a playoff.

EDIT: My bad; FAU was 6-6 at the end of the season. They were blown out by Texas and Minnesota; and lost by double digits to Michigan State, Arkansas State and Troy. But by all means, give them a crack at a title!
I was just using FAU as an example.... I still think all that's just it's paper talk. In the second round, the Mid-Majors would play the BCS schools and then we'd see who's who. Ya just never know what can happen. On any given game, the underdog can top the big dog.

But hey, what's the point of trying to convince eachother on what would happen.
We may never know....

Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,216,256 times
A 16 team playoff would be best, to allow all conference champions to participate (you know, to have the regular season mean something) while also allowing the most deserving non-conference champs/at-large teams to participate.

If the Florida/Oklahoma finishes as a close game (it is 7-7 at halftime as I type this) and especially if Florida wins, then I'd vote Utah as the national champion. Texas was unimpressive in beating Ohio State, USC still lost to Oregon State and still played in a relatively weak Pac-10, and Utah was at least as impressive as Florida, if not moreso, in beating Alabama. Oklahoma did beat TCU much more impressively than Utah did, and both teams played TCU at home.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:47 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,644,082 times
I could never vote Utah based on one win ;especaily against a team that just played a burising team like Florida and the let down it brings.I mean they beat a team that was beatup from the Florida game that was a real letdown.Remember that Texas beat Oklahoma and only lose to tech in the last seconds by less than a touchdown.Utahs entire claim is based on Alabama and a win agianst TCU? Give us a break.

Old 01-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I could never vote Utah based on one win ;especaily against a team that just played a burising team like Florida and the let down it brings.I mean they beat a team that was beatup from the Florida game that was a real letdown.Remember that Texas beat Oklahoma and only lose to tech in the last seconds by less than a touchdown.Utahs entire claim is based on Alabama and a win agianst TCU? Give us a break.
Yeah, the TCU win did come from the Frogs missing 2 field goals.

But Utah is still the only undefeated FBS school in the nation....

Old 01-09-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
Which is best?
Who Should be number one?
Oklahoma of course........go sooners!
Not to be funny, but ya might wanna change that....

Old 01-09-2009, 03:26 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,216,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Yeah, that roughly 1 month between the Florida and Utah games was brutal for Alabama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football