Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2009, 09:39 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinovelvet View Post
Moving on...
How the hell is Boise State a 14 seed while the U of Utah is 19? I think its bullcrap sports news channels are already talking about the possibility of seeing them play for a national championship, yet no talks of Utah.
Utah was undefeated last season, ending with a win against Alabama. Yet Boise State lost against TCU, a Mountain West team that Utah beat earlier in the season.
At the very least, Utah should be ranked one ahead of Boise State who plays in a lol-Conference. Yet the U is ranked 19, and even BYU is ranked 20.
Sucks how these college football "experts" get to chose whose arse to powder and spoon feed the opportunity to play for a NC game.
If both teams go undefeated this season - - - Who should end up with the higher ranking? I think the answer is obvious.
I think it's bull crap either team is in the NC conversation. Their schedules are laughable at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Yet Boise State lost against TCU, a Mountain West team that HAD Utah beat earlier in the season.
Fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
I think it's bull crap either team is in the NC conversation. Their schedules are laughable at best.
Isn't this their remaining schedule?

Last edited by nevergoingback; 09-04-2009 at 10:14 AM..

Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM

21 posts, read 48,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Fixed. ... a Mountain West team that HAD Utah beat...
I guess someone doesn't understand the concept of sports where at the end of the day, a win is a win. Doesn't matter if it was by 20 points or 1 point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Wow, I am so "shocked" that someone with the name of VolDude would make such a comment. Its obvious that some people believe that the NC is strictly reserved for certain "elite" conferences, and teams not within have no right to belong in such conversations.
Its a no wonder why college football is fighting the playoff system so avidly. It would be such a "shame" to see a team like Utah to shame the Vols in front of a national audience and another BCS team the week after(assuming that the Vols would actually make it somewhere any time soon).

Last edited by latinovelvet; 09-04-2009 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Edit

Old 09-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Quote:
I guess someone doesn't understand the concept of sports where at the end of the day, a win is a win. Doesn't matter if it was by 20 points or 1 point.

I guess someone doesn't understand how College Football sends their teams to the NCG.

A win is not just a win in CFB as far as the polls go.

Just ask Utah!! LMAO!!! Ha Ha Ha!!

Old 09-04-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I guess someone doesn't understand how College Football sends their teams to the NCG.

A win is not just a win in CFB as far as the polls go.

Just ask Utah!! LMAO!!! Ha Ha Ha!!
Well if you go back, the assertion was that Utah at the least should be ranked one ahead of Boise State since, among other reasons, Utah beat TCU and TCU beat Boise State last year.
I guess someone doesn't understand the concept college.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Well if you go back, the assertion was that Utah at the least should be ranked one ahead of Boise State since, among other reasons, Utah beat TCU and TCU beat Boise State last year.
Last year they were, this years polls are about this year, not last year. Is it really that hard to understand?

So you think they should be ranked ahead of 'Bama this year too?

Last year was last year, this years polls have little if nothing to do with last year.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
So they should be ranked ahead of 'Bama too?

Last year was last year, this years polls have little if nothing to do with last year.
I think so. The real gripe is against these "experts" who chose what team belongs where before the season has even kicked off. Their decisions basically set up a team's ability to play for the NCG before that team ever plays a game.
Would it be the end of the world to see Utah ahead of Bama? No. Why would it? Especially considering Bama's record and performance against Utah. But it also wouldn't be the end of the world to see Utah behind Florida, USC, Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and even Penn State - as long as you give Utah the due credit for appearing and winning a Bowl game convincingly.
I can see the biased football fanboys complaining if Utah was given a top 5 spot initially, but why not a 9? Why is that out of the question? They were given a 19 spot and told to prove themselves AGAIN. "Climb the charts and we'll see if we see you as deserving a shot. If not, we'll put you in the Orange Bowl this time." You think last season sparked an outrage, wait if Utah gets another undefeated season and no NCG opportunity.

I understand that last year is given zero consideration, but if we want the most perfect system we can have given the circumstances (computers and people deciding who's where), they shouldn't at least give them some credit for the prior season. At least give them that.

At the end of the day, Utah may not end up undefeated. I'm not saying they will. But they should at the least be given some props for their performance last year, and not insulted with a 19 spot behind a team they beat last year (TCU) and another which didnt win its bowl game (BSU). Let them debunk themselves.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:00 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
Quote:
Moving on...
How the hell is Boise State a 14 seed while the U of Utah is 19? I think its bullcrap sports news channels are already talking about the possibility of seeing them play for a national championship, yet no talks of Utah.
Utah was undefeated last season, ending with a win against Alabama. Yet Boise State lost against TCU, a Mountain West team that Utah beat earlier in the season.
At the very least, Utah should be ranked one ahead of Boise State who plays in a lol-Conference. Yet the U is ranked 19, and even BYU is ranked 20.
Sucks how these college football "experts" get to chose whose arse to powder and spoon feed the opportunity to play for a NC game.
If both teams go undefeated this season - - - Who should end up with the higher ranking? I think the answer is obvious.
So Utah loses key players should make then jump against a BSU team who returns nearly everyone?

Yeah right, they got their reward last season, in the last poll of the season.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:02 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
Quote:
We're in a new college season, not stuck in the last one.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:06 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
A couple of big games tomorrow night: Obviously as I mentioned earlier, Alabama and VT at 8 et, on ABC, this one's being played in Atlanta. Also BYU and Oklahoma, both teams are ranked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football