Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 10:35 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I'm 99.999999% sure that if Boise State was in California, and Alabama had pink uniforms, then the global demand for zinc would skyrocket.
Everyone knows that golden rust is the color that makes Zinc demand skyrocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 AM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic Bessemer View Post
What are you talking about?

Gary Danielson needs to get the rule book out. There would not have been a re-kick b/c it was 4th down! It does not matter that there was no more time on the clock! A 15yd penalty would have been given to Bama on the next drive. Bama ball = Game over - move on!
I didn't realize at the time 'Bama recovered the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
So, with Iowa now earning the #1 computer ranking and having some ground to gain available in the human polls... anyone think an undefeated Iowa team jumps an undefeated Texas team in the BCS rankings?
For Sure. LOL. @ tOSU is going to be tough game though.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:43 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,149 times
Ok, I have always said that Boise State has an all around solid football program. When they and the Utah's of the world come in and rock they house, they deserve praise.

My main beef is with their conference, they don't seem to be tested in the conference (more so BSU cause Utah has BYU and TCU to look out for). Oregon this year was one thing, but I want to see them fight places like Miami, Oklahoma, Oregon State, West Virginia with much higher frequency.

Then again blame goes all around for scheduling pansy teams. It's really lame and just for money.

It just goes to show you that all this trash talk is meaningless. No one knows ANYTHING until both teams duke it out on the field, not you, not I, not those overpaid ninnies at ESPN neither!

No more Big East bashing. Cincy may be ranked a little high, but they are not pretenders, they are a genuinely good team as are Pitt and WVU (they gots issues though).

The Big 10 is over ratted but they don't "SUCK". Michigan needs work sure, but they aren't bad. And we already know about Ohio State, PSU and Iowa.

Pac 10 is surprising everybody. People in the State of Oregon should be happy with such strong teams. Seattle just has to give Sark and Holt more time to flex their creative muscles, recruit and Washington will be back soon I bet.

I still don't get how Arizona got up in there.

Sigh, I'm probably one out of the 12 people nationwide who root for Virginia that isn't a graduate of the school. I JUST WANT US TO BE RESPECTABLE AGAIN!!!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:43 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
You mean Arkansas State, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, and Iowa State?

Granted they played Penn State, but I think they're a little overrated (USC proved that last year, and they're certainly no better this year). Arizona is still suspect, Michigan isn't great this year.

I think TCU is easily undefeated with Iowa's slate. But we'll never know, I guess.

People said the same thing about Boise State in 06 and Utah in 04 and 08. These teams can play with anyone given the chance.
--"you mean Arkansas State,Iowa State,Northern Iowa, and Iowa State"--

No, I mean Penn State,Michigan,Wisconsin and Michigan State also.

No way would they still be undefeated if they played that schedule. ( IMHO)

Maybe Iowa State ( who you listed twice in Iowa's schedule ) would have beaten them.

Now take TCU's schedule--------Virginia, Texas State, Clemson,SMU, Air Force, Colorado State,and BYU.

Playing that schedule would result in many teams still undefeated.(IMHO)

Toxic Toast-------I agree.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:13 PM

369 posts, read 776,742 times
The computer which accounts for 1/3 of the actual ranking only looks at wins or losses, not at how close the game was. On the flip side, the people have a tendency to rank teams like Alabama, Florida, and USC really high based almost solely on biases. I'm from Hawaii, our team sucks, we got railed by Boise, but to be fair, UH was able to move the ball against Boise (poor red zone offensive prevented points) and this is with our fourth quarterback (first second and third stringers got hurt). TCU is doing well and if they beat Utah like they should I have no problem seeing them in a BCS Bowl, and maybe even the National Championship if some of these top teams keep up the lackluster play.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:26 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,049 times
I don't know about that Slick.

Hawaii had drives of 19, 26, and 64 yards in the first three quarters; the rest were below 10.
Only in the 4th quarter, when the game was well over and much of the defense was second string did you start having sustained drives.

Check out the drive chart on ESPN. You were thoroughly dominated that game.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:26 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
+ if a kicker is 1-4 on field goals then you don't deserve to win period.
If you get 2 field goals blocked in one game, quit trying field goals in the future.

Try "hail Mary passes" instead.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,026,080 times
No doubt Boise State gets hurt by being in the WAC and to some extent that is justified. But when they have been given the chance to play a big conference team they have proven they can play with them. Same thing with Utah and BYU (up until Florida State this year). The "strength of schedule" argument was stronger a few years ago before the small conference teams proved they could hold their own against the big conferences.

The only real way to solve this is to have a play-off. I would vote for a 16 team play-off with every conference winner and 4 at-large bids. Alternatively, I think most of us BCS opponents would accept an 8 team play-off as long as there were no restrictions on which conferences the 8 teams came from. It wouldn't be a perfect system because there would still be cries about how #9 should have been ranked above #8 but it would be a vast improvement over the current system.

The other thing that would be fun to see - but would never, ever happen - would be if college football worked something like English Premier League soccer. Division 1-A would be divided into two levels. Every year (or maybe two years would be better) the best teams from the lower tier would move up and take the place of the worst teams from the top tier who would drop down.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 PM

709 posts, read 2,180,851 times
If Alabama's pathetic offense doesn't score some TD's they could easily lose 3 of their next 4 games. Last 3 games: 11 FG's 2 offensive TD's 1 Defensive TD. LSU, Miss State and Auburn could beat them. Maybe they can beat Tennessee-Chattanooga

Old 10-27-2009, 10:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,453,791 times
I heard on foxsports radio an opinion of one of the guys on the blown calls in the Bama and Florida games, it was something like

That because ESPN just signed that huge contract with the SEC, if Alabama and Florida were to lose they'd potientally drop in the rankings, lose interest of course as well as money. And if these two were not to meet in the SEC Championship, well then alot of interest would be lost. And That both Alabama and Florida could lose a few games in the upcoming weeks therefore the SEC would not really have any 'prominant' teams as such as what they're use to in the last few years. Take Alabama and Florida out of it (meaning they lose a few games and drop in the rankings) and what really do you have in the SEC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football