Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 10:51 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Had it been a white guy punched a black guy that had just shoved and taunted him...

the puncher would be suspended the same as the taunter.

As it is the black guy gets suspended for the season and the white guy gets "internal" punishment.
this might hold water if the NCAA were doing the punishments. But as it is, punishments were at each coaches and AD's discretion. Trying to play the race card makes you look very ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:05 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packersnut21 View Post
Are you kidding me? Since others seem to be following just fine (jbird82)

I honestly could not make it any simpler. The punishment does NOT fit the crime going of of past offenses and suspension the University of Oregon and Pac 10 has handed down.

If those same fans were in a bar how many of them would have the balls to say what they were saying last night to his face? I would go with none. Growing up I heard a phrase, make sure your mouth doesn't write checks your fists can't cash.
And I can't make it any clearer. I am talking about what happened, NOT THE PUNISHMENT RECIEVED. I am not trying to discuss the punishment. I don't know why you don't get that.

You seem to wish he would have jumped into the stands and started fighting with the fans, after punching a guy as he was turning away, then hitting his own teammate.

As for the fans, you can clearly see one guy jumping up to say "f*** you!*, and that seems to be when Blount lost it and was wanting to jump in the stands. The same guy that yelled it ran around some fans and went STRAIGHT FOR BLOUNT and even appeared to swing towards him and then you see a guy in agreen shirt trying to restrain the fan. So apparently that guy was prepared to cash the check his mouth wrote.

Point being, its sad when people think words should escalate to violence, ESPECIALLY on a football field. It is classless and a total disrespect to the game itself. Saying someone deserves physical violence because they have a big mouth on the field is ridiculous.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:19 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
And I can't make it any clearer. I am talking about what happened, NOT THE PUNISHMENT RECIEVED. I am not trying to discuss the punishment. I don't know why you don't get that.

You seem to wish he would have jumped into the stands and started fighting with the fans, after punching a guy as he was turning away, then hitting his own teammate.

As for the fans, you can clearly see one guy jumping up to say "f*** you!*, and that seems to be when Blount lost it and was wanting to jump in the stands. The same guy that yelled it ran around some fans and went STRAIGHT FOR BLOUNT and even appeared to swing towards him and then you see a guy in agreen shirt trying to restrain the fan. So apparently that guy was prepared to cash the check his mouth wrote.

Point being, its sad when people think words should escalate to violence, ESPECIALLY on a football field. It is classless and a total disrespect to the game itself. Saying someone deserves physical violence because they have a big mouth on the field is ridiculous.

Well I AM talking about the punishment and have been.

You and I come from two different mind sets. I feel if your going to be a hardass and run your mouth you better be ready for an ass whoopin. You seem to think otherwise. Oh well I on't really care.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:22 PM

15 posts, read 10,604 times
Karma's a B*TCH ain't it Oregon? Your cheating officials during the OU game and now you get the beat down! I love it.

Oregon 0-1.

Ducks are pathetic.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:37 PM

18,213 posts, read 25,850,946 times
OK, let me step in here. Personal insults??NOT!! Name calling? NOT!!

I enjoy the input from some of you guys on a variety of football threads, but this one is pushing the envelope to getting shut down.

I realize this is a volatile subject; I played a lot of sports in high school so I know about trash talk.

I'll either delete posts or shut down the thread if this continues. Let's be halfway civil here.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 09-05-2009 at 12:46 PM..

Old 09-05-2009, 03:22 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,980 times
We've got about seven players from BSU at my complex. Management is putting on a free BBQ to celebrate the win.

On the menu?

Roast Duck. My mouth is already watering.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
You and I come from two different mind sets. I feel if your going to be a hardass and run your mouth you better be ready for an ass whoopin. You seem to think otherwise.
Actually I would agree with that in general life situations. I think it is a different story on the football field. And if a player wants to talk crap pregame, then when they get their ass handed to them (8 rushes for -5 yards!), they need to be able to take it postgame, otherwise they should just shut the hell up and let their playing talk for them. Taking a cheapshot at someone for dishing back at them what they were doing before the game is far different than smack talking in general life situations. Being a player means representing your school and ALL of your teammates. If you want to talk smack, be ready to take it. Its a 2 way street.

BTW, what about his teammate that he took a headshot at for trying to calm him down? Whats the excuse for that since I highly doubt he did anything other than trying to keep Blount from embarrassing himself further than he already had?

Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,290,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Actually I would agree with that in general life situations. I think it is a different story on the football field. And if a player wants to talk crap pregame, then when they get their ass handed to them (8 rushes for -5 yards!), they need to be able to take it postgame, otherwise they should just shut the hell up and let their playing talk for them. Taking a cheapshot at someone for dishing back at them what they were doing before the game is far different than smack talking in general life situations. Being a player means representing your school and ALL of your teammates. If you want to talk smack, be ready to take it. Its a 2 way street.

BTW, what about his teammate that he took a headshot at for trying to calm him down? Whats the excuse for that since I highly doubt he did anything other than trying to keep Blount from embarrassing himself further than he already had?
I'm not saying what he did was right it wasn't.I think of the things he did hitting his teammate was the worst offense.

My whole complaint is with the differences in punishment. I think it should be like the NFL when a guy does something on or off the field they should be suspended. Have the suspension fit the crime.

Old 09-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I'm not saying what he did was right it wasn't.I think of the things he did hitting his teammate was the worst offense.

My whole complaint is with the differences in punishment. I think it should be like the NFL when a guy does something on or off the field they should be suspended. Have the suspension fit the crime.

To get into the punishment, I don't really feel he was punished too severely, but lots of other players deserve worse punishment for things if they are going to punish him so heavily. Other players have been allowed to get off way too easy. Schools are too obsessed with winning in so many cases that they would probably let a player come back after comitting murder if it wouldn't cause bad press.

So considering the entire scope of things, I don't think Blounts full season suspension was too harsh. But I do feel he got far worse than lots of other athletes because what he did was on film in front of hundreds of thousands of live viewers. I really don't like situational punishments where the circumstances of how something was seen affects the level of punishment. For example, had Blount done that off camera, I highly doubt he would have been suspended the whole season, 1-3 games at the most. But since it was on camera, the entire college football world was watching and the powers that be felt pressured to make an example.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:32 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,025,241 times
Im not surprised at his punishment, he got what he deserved, if that were me at work, I would be fired and not eligible for re-hire through the company again. You just dont do that when you are representing someone else's name.

Blount talked crap all before the game so any team that handed Blounts team a loss would be happy to rub it in his face, thats what he gets.

some of the fans might of deserved a punch in the face but after all its sports and fans heckle players every game in every sport, players just have to accept that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football