Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:23 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,596,197 times

Advertisements

OU has to win out to make BYU's win over them look impressive enough to put them in the BCS title game. That is of course IF BYU wins out as well. Even then, a team with 1 loss who plays a much tougher schedule would likely get the nod.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:45 AM

3,810 posts, read 6,400,957 times
I've despised BYU ever since they beat my Michigan squad in the '84 Holiday Bowl, but it can only be good for college football that teams like them and Boise St. are continually throwing wrenches into the flawed BCS machine. I also thought it was hilarious when Utah marched down south and dismantled the "mighty" Crimson Tide in the Sugar Bowl at the end of last season.

The traditional football powerhouses don't like it, but these upstart western schools are here to stay, and they've proven they belong on the field with the big boys more than once. They may not play in conferences that are as competitive, but when they go head to head with the other teams they can definitely hold their own.

Playoff, anyone?

Old 09-11-2009, 02:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,443,475 times
I think they very well could get in if they win all 12. They already have a win vs. a more-than-likely Top 15 Oklahoma team (if not Top 5 if they get Bradford back and don't lose again). Then, they play FSU, TCU, and Utah all of which could end up in the Top 15 (one could even end up Top 10) which would give them a solid record against top teams (4-0). However, deep down I think they are on the outside looking in.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:43 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,800,449 times
That's a big IF.

Asided from the fact that they have 8 teams ahead of em, they still have both Utah and TCU in the same conference, both of which could be BCS contenders themselves.... again.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,798,356 times
Preseason pick to win MWC is TCU and I think TCU will beat BYU. That defense is solid like every year.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:07 AM

2,819 posts, read 6,434,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Preseason pick to win MWC is TCU and I think TCU will beat BYU. That defense is solid like every year.
Agreed, Utah won't do much this year, they struggled against SJSU, which isn't that surprising to WAC teams but if you wanna be ranked that high, you better deal with a stubbon SJSU more easily.

Hopefully the Florida State BYU game next week is very entertaining.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:55 PM

723 posts, read 1,629,750 times
Any team that goes 12-0 and beats USC on the way will be ranked #1 going into the bowl season.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:51 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,984,143 times
If they do go 12-0 then I think they will make a BCS game, they play 3 ranked teams-Oklahoma,TCU,Utah and Florida ST is a good team also.

if Ohio ST would have beat Oklahoma then everyone would be saying "Oh look out for Ohio St, they just might take it this year"

Im not a BYU fan but the MWC deserves a little respect

Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 PM

459 posts, read 802,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I am not saying BYU WILL go 12-0; I am saying IF they go 12-0; they will get a BCS title game spot.

They are already ranked 9th in the county, they already have a marquee win over Oklahoma; and the teams ahead of them, are going to lose. Old Miss, USC or Ohio State this weekend, Oklahoma State; BYU if they keep winning; they wil keep climbing.

There is no way Florida or Texas lose a game this season. THe Big 12 is way down this year and the SEC is way down this year. THey will both cruise into the title game. BYU will lose to Florida State!

Old 09-17-2009, 09:25 PM

59 posts, read 44,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
There is no way Florida or Texas lose a game this season. THe Big 12 is way down this year and the SEC is way down this year. THey will both cruise into the title game. BYU will lose to Florida State!
This is the Big XII South, more than that this is the Red River Shootout. I don't care how it looks on paper this game isn't decided til the final gun sounds. Also we play the Cowboys in Stillwater, look at last years game and it isn't a cake walk. Texas needs to play each game and not look to January because there are some teams that can bite us if we over look them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football