Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 11:42 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossimer View Post
nevergoingback, they beat our beloved Sooners on the national stage, and we were poised for a national title, so I don't think that claim about "not beating anybody" sticks. Besides, Boise State fans are awesome.

I'm a Sooner through and through, but Boise State beat us fair and square in that game.

BTW, GO SOONERS against the Miami Hurricane this evening!
They were ranked higher than OU that year. OU was just OK that year, the only reason OU even won the Big12 that year was because UT wouldn't beat Aggy in Austin, LOL.

What have they done lately? They've dropped 4 out of their last 5 Bowl games to craptastic teams, TCU, ECU, Louisville, and BC. No one wants to talk about that. How long are they going to live off of a double OT win over a depleted OU team?

They need to get out of the WAC, plain and simple.

And lately, teams beating OU in a bowl game hasn't been a real exclusive club.

FWIW 31-6 OU over UM. FEAR THE STACHE!!

BOOMER!!

Last edited by nevergoingback; 10-03-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 12:46 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
Boise State is more than a community colllege, ain't it? Community Colleges dont field athletic teams.

Boise State to me seems like a decent team, not quite as good as say TCU, Utah or BYU has been recently but still good for not being one of the big conferences.

However, due to rankings not seeming to mean much until you are well into conference play and given that its competition is weaker I think 5 is indeed high.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:58 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,734 times
They need to drop the preseason rankings and that might help things out a little.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:42 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
They need to drop the preseason rankings and that might help things out a little.
Maybe, but I actually think it wouldn't matter one bit. Look at it this way. You are still going to have writers, coaches, and people overall that think a 9-4 SEC team is more deserving than an undefeated BSU team. Heck, look at all those SEC homers (not legit SEC fans that argue rationally) claim that Vandy and Miss. State would beat so many other conference champions.

I think if the polls came out after say, week 5, you would have exactly what you have today, coaches still voting teams like Cal #19 and the team that throttled them #25, teams with a ton of history ranked too high despite their record, a USC team that loses to unranked teams still ranked too high, etc., blah, blah.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
They were ranked higher than OU that year. OU was just OK that year, the only reason OU even won the Big12 that year was because UT wouldn't beat Aggy in Austin, LOL.

What have they done lately? They've dropped 4 out of their last 5 Bowl games to craptastic teams, TCU, ECU, Louisville, and BC. No one wants to talk about that. How long are they going to live off of a double OT win over a depleted OU team?

They need to get out of the WAC, plain and simple.

And lately, teams beating OU in a bowl game hasn't been a real exclusive club.

FWIW 31-6 OU over UM. FEAR THE STACHE!!

BOOMER!!
Doesn't matter they were ranked higher, the fact is that everyone thought OU was going to win and that Boise State couldn't hang with the big boys. You can say how depleted OU were, but they still should of won that game.

Seems to me as you are making excuses for that loss.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Maybe, but I actually think it wouldn't matter one bit. Look at it this way. You are still going to have writers, coaches, and people overall that think a 9-4 SEC team is more deserving than an undefeated BSU team. Heck, look at all those SEC homers (not legit SEC fans that argue rationally) claim that Vandy and Miss. State would beat so many other conference champions.

I think if the polls came out after say, week 5, you would have exactly what you have today, coaches still voting teams like Cal #19 and the team that throttled them #25, teams with a ton of history ranked too high despite their record, a USC team that loses to unranked teams still ranked too high, etc., blah, blah.
Good point. I always hear that from SEC homers "Well, if USC was in the SEC they would probably have 3 or 4 losses every season"...yet USC always seems to throttle SEC opponets when they go head to head. Don't get me wrong, the SEC has some great teams, but the college football elite doesn't begin and end with the SEC.

Most coaches admit that they only look at the ballot for a couple minutes or hand it of to an assitant who maybe looks at it for twice that long.

At Lou Holtz has finally shut up about ND being in the National Championship.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:24 PM

4,077 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Doesn't matter they were ranked higher, the fact is that everyone thought OU was going to win and that Boise State couldn't hang with the big boys. You can say how depleted OU were, but they still should of won that game.

Seems to me as you are making excuses for that loss.
No excuses, Jes saying that OU was only the #10 team in the nation going into that game.

OU lost. whoopdee do!

I'm saying that if BSU had to play MULTIPLE top 25 teams in a regular season, they would be mediocre AT BEST.

OU is going to play at least 7 probably 8 ranked teams this year. I would LOVE to see BSU try to do that.

BSU is overrated, I'll come back on here and remind you of that when they get beat this year.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:26 PM

Quote:
No excuses, Jes saying that OU was only the #10 team in the nation going into that game.

OU lost. whoopdee do!

I'm saying that if BSU had to play MULTIPLE top 25 teams in a regular season, they would be mediocre AT BEST.

OU is going to play at least 7 probably 8 ranked teams this year. I would LOVE to see BSU try to do that.

BSU is overrated, I'll come back on here and remind you of that when they get beat this year.
Don't be such a Tater Hater

Old 10-03-2009, 04:50 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,454,725 times
Quote:

OU lost. whoopdee do!

Well I'd welcome you with open arms if you were to remind me late at night on 27 of November

Old 10-03-2009, 06:23 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
[quote=truckingbronco;11033016]Good point. I always hear that from SEC homers "Well, if USC was in the SEC they would probably have 3 or 4 losses every season"...yet USC always seems to throttle SEC opponets when they go head to head. Don't get me wrong, the SEC has some great teams, but the college football elite doesn't begin and end with the SEC.

Most coaches admit that they only look at the ballot for a couple minutes or hand it of to an assitant who maybe looks at it for twice that long.

At Lou Holtz has finally shut up about ND being in the National Championship.[/

Lou says, "Not tho fath my friend. Notre Dame beat that ever tho dominate Wathington team, tho they are back in it."

**Note: I can't even immitate his lisp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football