Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 AM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times

Advertisements

Boise BCS blocked - College Football - Rivals.com

I'll say it again... The BCS is total joke!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 11:28 AM

4,077 posts, read 5,608,852 times
And so is the WAC.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:47 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
College football is a freaking joke. No playoff system...yeah...that's a legit league.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:01 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
And so is the WAC.
Put Boise State in any other confernce other than the MWC or a BCS conference and they'd still be undefeated. I wouldn't call the WAC a joke, they've got some solid enough teams in there.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:07 PM

306 posts, read 320,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
College football is a freaking joke. No playoff system...yeah...that's a legit league.
I 100% agree, which is why it doesn't get viewed in my home

For what its worth, I think if Boise tried to play Florida, LSU, USC, Texas, Alabama, etc...... they would get creamed.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:35 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyj46 View Post
Put Boise State in any other confernce other than the MWC or a BCS conference and they'd still be undefeated. I wouldn't call the WAC a joke, they've got some solid enough teams in there.
I totally disagree...look at how many teams in the BCS conferences actually go undefeated each year - not many. A team has to be very elite to make it through conference play without a loss, and while Boise State is pretty good, I certainly wouldn't place them on the level of Florida or Alabama.

Even the lowest teams in the BCS conferences would be near the top in the MWC, WAC, or Conference USA. No way would BSU go undefeated in the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, PAC-10, or even the Big East.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:55 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,455,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I totally disagree...look at how many teams in the BCS conferences actually go undefeated each year - not many. A team has to be very elite to make it through conference play without a loss, and while Boise State is pretty good, I certainly wouldn't place them on the level of Florida or Alabama.

Even the lowest teams in the BCS conferences would be near the top in the MWC, WAC, or Conference USA. No way would BSU go undefeated in the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, ACC, PAC-10, or even the Big East.
Quote:
I never said they'd go undeafeated in a BCS or MWC conference, I said they would go undeafeated in a conference like the C-USA, Sun-Belt etc.

I really don't think Washington State would be near the top of the WAC, same goes for Syracsue, Vanderbilt. No dobut some of the lower teams would be close, but look at their resources to some of the lower teams in the C-USA, WAC, MWC to an extent. The lower teams in the BCS conferences are far better off than some of the more solid teams in Non-BCS teams. Thats just how it will always be.

Old 11-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I never said they'd go undeafeated in a BCS or MWC conference, I said they would go undeafeated in a conference like the C-USA, Sun-Belt etc.

I really don't think Washington State would be near the top of the WAC, same goes for Syracsue, Vanderbilt. No dobut some of the lower teams would be close, but look at their resources to some of the lower teams in the C-USA, WAC, MWC to an extent. The lower teams in the BCS conferences are far better off than some of the more solid teams in Non-BCS teams. Thats just how it will always be.
Oh, sorry...I misread your post. Never mind.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:10 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,254 times
So when Boise State, TCU or Cincinnati beats an unranked team it just proves their schedule isn't tough enough. But then Iowa loses to unranked Northwestern, Oregon loses to unranked Stanford and Georgia Tech needs overtime to beat unranked Wake Forest. I realize that all unranked teams are not equal but these upsets (and near upset) just today show that it is impressive to go undefeated regardless.

Besides, the article in the OP is about how BCS conference teams don't want to play an opponent like Boise State because they really have nothing to gain, but a lot to lose. That alone makes the system worthless in determining a true national champion.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
So when Boise State, TCU or Cincinnati beats an unranked team it just proves their schedule isn't tough enough. But then Iowa loses to unranked Northwestern, Oregon loses to unranked Stanford and Georgia Tech needs overtime to beat unranked Wake Forest. I realize that all unranked teams are not equal but these upsets (and near upset) just today show that it is impressive to go undefeated regardless.

Besides, the article in the OP is about how BCS conference teams don't want to play an opponent like Boise State because they really have nothing to gain, but a lot to lose. That alone makes the system worthless in determining a true national champion.
But those aren't just "unranked teams"...they are rival teams within the same conference - big difference than just playing any old unranked team. Both Stanford and Wake Forest are good quality unranked teams, especially compared to LA Tech and San Diego State - the two unranked teams beaten by BSU and TCU.

It's not always impressive to go undefeated when teams play a cupcake schedule. I'm not saying that BSU and TCU don't have ANY quality wins (they do), but they have a schedule padded with cupcakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football