Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times

Advertisements

In my opinion, I think Florida is the best team in the country, I think TCU might just be the 2nd best team, I also dislike the arrogance of "my confrence is more superior than yours" type attitude, I believe that if you think your team is so good, you would want to watch them make their way to the championship game by taking out the best.

I wouldnt want my favorite team to get a free pass to the big game, I would want to see them play the toughest teams and earn their spot, Florida played Charleston So.Florida International, Troy, Vanderbilt and Miss. ST, not very good teams here, every team in the top 25 has played cupcake teams, and that is why I would want to see Florida take out the big dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 10:32 AM

555 posts, read 1,573,604 times
I playoff system in College Football really makes me cringe. I just don't think that the rankings are always accurate. For years, I have been a firm believer in a hierarchical points system.

Wins
Against NCAA Div I FBS = +4 points
Against NCAA Div I FCS = +3 points
Against NCAA Div II = +2 points
Against NCAA Div III = +1 point

Considering that the quality of teams declines as you go through the divisions, I do believe that the number of points you earn should also decline. Winning against Miami (OH) shouldn't earn you the same amount of points as winning against Miami U.

NCAA Div I FBS Losses
Against NCAA Div I FBS = -1 point
Against NCAA Div I FCS = -2 points
Against NCAA Div II = -3 points
Against NCAA Div III = -4 points

NCAA Div I FCA Losses
Against NCAA Div I FBS = -1 point
Against NCAA Div I FCS = -1 points
Against NCAA Div II = -2 points
Against NCAA Div III = -3 points

NCAA Div II Losses
Against NCAA Div I FBS = -0 point
Against NCAA Div I FCS = -1 points
Against NCAA Div II = -1 points
Against NCAA Div III = -2 points

NCAA Div III Losses
Against NCAA Div I FBS = -0 point
Against NCAA Div I FCS = -0 points
Against NCAA Div II = -1 points
Against NCAA Div III = -1 points

The way this would work is that FBS teams that lose against Div III teams would lose much more than if they lost against another FBS team, and that a Div III team wouldn't lose any points after a loss to a FBS team, since they are in a much lower division and that they are at a severe disadvantage.

That would guarantee that the team that beats the most best teams/doesn't lose against the worst teams would be placed at the top of the standings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football