Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times

Advertisements

No one knows who the best --65-- teams are in college basketball are either.

Seems there are always teams crying that they didn't get a chance,also.

I like the BCS

College football is an expensive sport and I want to see those colleges make as much money as possible.

BCS helps them do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
There is a way to have a playoff AND keep some of the BCS elements in there, ya know.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:52 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post

Seems there are always teams crying that they didn't get a chance,also.
But the 65th team crying over not getting a shot is in no way equal to the 3rd ranked team doing so.

Auburn went undefeated in the SEC a few years ago and won their BCS bowl and yet wasn't given even a share of the title. USC did NOT earn a national title that year, period.

Why not have an Elite 8 or Final 4 and let everyone else go to a bowl game?

Old 12-11-2009, 02:58 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,000,014 times
Quote:

Seems there are always teams crying that they didn't get a chance,also..
Are you really comparing a 65th team getting cheated to a 3rd team getting cheated? That isnt even a fair comparison.

Quote:
I like the BCS

You like a computer formula determining who plays for the title?

Why dont you stick to Dungeons and Dragons while us real sports fans see teams decide things on the field as it should be.

Quote:
College football is an expensive sport and I want to see those colleges make as much money as possible.

BCS helps them do this.
I'm not sure I understand your logic here. How does BCS help them make anymore money than a playoff would?

Actually, the teams that would advance in the playoff would make a lot more money than they ever will playing a single bowl game.

As someone mentioned in the post above me, you can keep your BCS bowls and have a playoff at the same time. All you have to do is have the playoff games named after each of the bowls. You can even have a consolation bracket for all the other bowls.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:04 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
gosh, first posters cry that the only reason the decision makers like the BCS is cuz it makes a lot of money.

When you mention making money is good, they claim a playoff would make more money than the current BCS.

Which is it ?

Old 12-13-2009, 11:23 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The governmant can screwup anything;so i am not so sure they need to be involved.BCS doing great without tehm as has college sprots for decades.
Try telling that to Boise State and USC...

Old 12-13-2009, 11:25 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
People are overlooking what may be the best thing to ever happen to college football and going with their political biases. I never realized how many tools there are in this world.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
People are overlooking what may be the best thing to ever happen to college football and going with their political biases. I never realized how many tools there are in this world.
That's with EVERYTHING in this country..... Sad but true.

Old 12-25-2009, 09:06 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJC Ft. Laud View Post
We are sooo over due for a playoff system. It is just politics and money keeping real NCAA footballs fans from having what is the only right way to determine who is the best team in any given year. Bring on the playoffs!
There are other things.

1. Final exams in mid December. Do they study the school books or the playbooks?
2. The NFL - In the past, they had Saturday games on the last two weeks of the season. No major college games will cross the NFL's airtime - especially playoff time.
3. Christmas holiday.

So put together the logistics. The season usually ends in November or early December. The playoffs will need to be done before the NFL playoffs begin. So there's a five week window.

Exams will take up one to two of those weeks with preparation and the tests themselves. In preparation for the playoffs, will the student-players not be able to go home for the holidays after exams? Meaning they will have exams, prepare and play in playoff games, and then it's right back to school again? I think it's too tight of a schedule unless you are talking about a 4 team playoff - 2 games and the winners square off for the championship.

These players do not get paid. I think it's too much too ask.

And the gov't should not be involved.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:08 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So put together the logistics. The season usually ends in November or early December. The playoffs will need to be done before the NFL playoffs begin. So there's a five week window.

Exams will take up one to two of those weeks with preparation and the tests themselves. In preparation for the playoffs, will the student-players not be able to go home for the holidays after exams? Meaning they will have exams, prepare and play in playoff games, and then it's right back to school again? I think it's too tight of a schedule unless you are talking about a 4 team playoff - 2 games and the winners square off for the championship.

It is amazing that they manage to get it done in Division 1-AA, II and III. I am sure that if they put their collective minds to it, they can figure it out. And Division III has a 32 team playoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football