Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 10:09 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times

Advertisements

A well coached loaded college team like say Alabama or Clemson would give a team like the last year's Cleveland Browns team a tough game, if not possibly beat them. The college offense using the option and having a running quarterback sacrificing his body on every play would be a tough matchup for the pro defense not used to defending against this. Conversely, any decent pro quarterback (which has eluded the Browns for a while) with a solid receiver core should raise havoc with a college secondary.

As mentioned, the upset by the U.S. hockey team years ago against the Soviet "pros" illustrates the possibilities do exist.

In almost all cases and most years, the pros would beat up a college team as any knowledgeable sports fan should understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2018, 10:42 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Every time this topic comes up I think of the USA Olympic Hockey team of 1980.

Bunch of college kids beating the "best team in the world".
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
A well coached loaded college team like say Alabama or Clemson would give a team like the last year's Cleveland Browns team a tough game, if not possibly beat them. The college offense using the option and having a running quarterback sacrificing his body on every play would be a tough matchup for the pro defense not used to defending against this. Conversely, any decent pro quarterback (which has eluded the Browns for a while) with a solid receiver core should raise havoc with a college secondary.

As mentioned, the upset by the U.S. hockey team years ago against the Soviet "pros" illustrates the possibilities do exist.

In almost all cases and most years, the pros would beat up a college team as any knowledgeable sports fan should understand.
First off, it should be noted that hockey and football are widely different sports.

Maybe, just maybe a very good college team would have given last season's struggling Browns a decent fight. However, to actually beat them would require a monumental effort. Remember, the Browns were playing ALL NFL teams -- not college teams.

Old 08-12-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt AZ View Post
First off, it should be noted that hockey and football are widely different sports.

Maybe, just maybe a very good college team would have given last season's struggling Browns a decent fight. However, to actually beat them would require a monumental effort. Remember, the Browns were playing ALL NFL teams -- not college teams.

True, but just think about this for a minute. The U.S. team beat arguably the best hockey team in the world at that time. Not the WORST team in the league which was my comparison.

Old 08-12-2018, 09:22 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,100 times
Quote:
True, but just think about this for a minute. The U.S. team beat arguably the best hockey team in the world at that time. Not the WORST team in the league which was my comparison.
Fair enough.

Old 08-13-2018, 12:53 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
I think another issue here is that (particularly back in 1980) the United States was not really a hotbed of hockey. Back then it was strictly a regional sport. College hockey was a huge afterthought as a collegiate sport. And those guys were thrown together with not a lot of practice time yet they STILL managed to beat the Russians in ONE game.

So the Browns may be able to rout Alabama as everybody insists...…...and of course they will never play. But if the Browns were disinterested in the game and played poorly you can never say never.

Old 08-13-2018, 01:16 PM

433 posts, read 287,365 times
Obviously, anything can happen in any sport. However, while Alabama and Clemson, as well as Georgia, are awesome college teams, the NFL teams are made up of essentially college all-stars who not only have more experience but have gotten bigger and perhaps even faster after coming to the NFL. The majority of players on those great college teams don't make it to the next level. So, there is a wide disparity. I think the Browns would beat up Alabama, particularly on both the Offensive and defensive lines.

Old 08-14-2018, 10:56 AM

36 posts, read 27,689 times
No. Just like a top women's college basketball team would be crushed by any good high school boy's team.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFij View Post
No. Just like a top women's college basketball team would be crushed by any good high school boy's team.

The consensus on this thread as to the comparison of the two levels is that many (like me) feel that a top level college team COULD beat one of the worst teams in the NFL.

You know what? I DO believe that a top level, nationally ranked high school boy's team COULD defeat a WNBA team. I know it's hard to believe for you, but there's just a bit of athletic difference between men and women. At my ability level, I would have been a very good women's college basketball player, but would have never even made a D-II men's college team. I was an average high school player at best (football was my sport).

In my early 30's I used to play pickup games at the local YMCA against a women's D-II local college all time record breaker. I could shut her down if I played physically against her. If I backed off at all, she could burn anyone from outside. So yes, I have something to compare with.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:30 PM

433 posts, read 287,365 times
Quote:
The consensus on this thread as to the comparison of the two levels is that many (like me) feel that a top level college team COULD beat one of the worst teams in the NFL.

You know what? I DO believe that a top level, nationally ranked high school boy's team COULD defeat a WNBA team. I know it's hard to believe for you, but there's just a bit of athletic difference between men and women. At my ability level, I would have been a very good women's college basketball player, but would have never even made a D-II men's college team. I was an average high school player at best (football was my sport).

In my early 30's I used to play pickup games at the local YMCA against a women's D-II local college all time record breaker. I could shut her down if I played physically against her. If I backed off at all, she could burn anyone from outside. So yes, I have something to compare with.
That's really interesting. Usually it's just an educated guess but putting it into practice is unique and compelling.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:53 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,290,716 times
Quote:
Being a consensus on an internet thread does not make it something that can legitimately happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football