Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You think this would worK?
Yes 4 15.38%
No 13 50.00%
Maybe, but it needs tweeking 9 34.62%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 04:44 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,444,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Really now, if it's not Utah and BYU than it's a moot point.

I doubt that there will be a raiding of a major conference outside of the Big East unless the respective party WANTS to jump.

Utah and Byu would kill to get into the Pac 10. The only rational problem with BYU is logistical problems with some of it's athletic policies.

I'm a liberal and don't give two craps wiether BYU is conservative Morman, this whole "we gotta mind the academics" deal is facetious, this is about football money, be up front about it.
I agree with some of your post. Both BYU and Utah are good universities and both schools have some very solid programs. However, the Pac-10 has stuck by their guns and have clearly stated time and again, "academics actually do play an important roll in the expansion debate." Look, you have half of the Pac-10 schools that are rated in the top 50 schools in the nation (Stanford, Cal, UCLA, USC, UW). The other half are all good universities with select top rated programs. All of them are massive research institutions that have large endowments. Out of all the BCS conferences (Big 10 too), in my opinion, academics is still an arguing point in terms of expansion.

However, money does make the world go round. Utah/SLC has the 31st largest tv market, so that would be a positive to adding Utah. But, in addition to non-sports related obstacles, BYU would bring in the same overlapping tv market. So, there is no gain there. Colorado has a huge tv market, which gives the Pac-10 exposure and dinero. Plus, both Utah and CU are good schools. I think CU could certainly be lured away from the Big 12, and I think it would be good for both CU and the Pac.

I've heard people state that Boise State should join the Pac-10. No way in h*** will the Pac even consider BSU. They have a tiny tv market, little research, bad sports other than football, and is one step up from a community college. They are the fall back school's fall back.

The Pac-10 will stand fast against expansion unless they can get CU and Utah IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:56 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,347,091 times
Just what would Colorado bring to the Pac 10 other than helping them land a playoff game? Other than the Bill McCartney era, they have been pretty mediocre in football and non-existant in other sports. They don't even have a baseball or softball team.

I also don't see how they'd be better off in the Pac 10 than they are now in the Big 10.

Last edited by LongtimeBravesFan; 01-14-2010 at 08:11 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 09:15 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,444,296 times
Colorado brings:

1- Denver/Plains TV Market
2- Inroads into another recruiting ground
3- Another large endowment
4- Research dollars
5- Alumni from CU are spread all over the West. In fact, there are more alumni clubs in California than Texas (not far down the road and home to large corporations and 5-6 large cities) Alumni= $$$
6- Similar academic/admission standards
5- Conference Championship Game= $$$
6- Another cool city for me to party in, getting crazy on Pearl St. ...well, if I were in college again

Benefits for CU:

1- $$$$. The Big 12 distributed 113.5 million to the schools with only a little over 8 million going to CU (10th in the conference). The money is dominated by TEXAS (above all), A&M, OU, and Nebraska. It will never change.
2- More recruiting in California. CU's main recruiting grounds are CA and TX. The pipline to Texas is weakening every year they do lousy. With the emergence of Tech, Nebraska again, OSU and even Baylor (not to mention TCU and Houston doing better), it is only going to get worse.
3- Academic Standards more aligned with the Pac-10. CU has the highest admission standards of the Big 12 (only UT and A&M are close). Many Buff fans believe that this has been detrimental to CU athletics the last million years. In the Pac-10, CU would be middle of the pack in terms of standards. The recruiting field would be much more leveled.

How about this alignment:

West- Oregon State, Washington, Stanford, USC, ASU, Utah
East- Oregon, Cal, UCLA, Zona, Wazzu, Colorado

Splits up recruitng territory down the middle

or

Green: Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Wazzu, Stanford, Cal
Yellow: USC, UCLA, Zona, ASU, Utah, Colorado

With each team playing in SoCal and NorCal every year

Who knows?

Last edited by Acuda; 01-14-2010 at 09:28 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 10:36 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,124,981 times
Now for the " $64,0000 question"---------are any of the conferences considering expanding ?

Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,015,101 times
Only the big 10, the rest is just idle talk.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:24 AM

16,368 posts, read 30,102,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Now for the " $64,000 question"---------are any of the conferences considering expanding ?
There is that old adage "be careful what you ask for, you may get it."

So many schools decide that they want to upgrade their conference just to find themselves as doormats. Or they find themselves doubling their traveling costs.

Western Kentucky in football comes to mind. They thought that getting paid to go to bowl games was better than paying their expenses in the payoff (or so they said in their press release). They won't have to worry about it for years.

Or St Louis or DePaul basketball.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:53 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,228,272 times
I don't like it because the Pac 10 has too many teams in your system. I wouldn't mind adding Boise but I don't want Utah, BYU and Colorado in the mix. Colorado is more of a Big 12 school in terms of their style of play and weather. And Colorado is far with regards to travel. It doesn't belong on the west coast

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-15-2010 at 11:05 PM..

Old 01-16-2010, 04:51 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,804,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't like it because the Pac 10 has too many teams in your system. I wouldn't mind adding Boise but I don't want Utah, BYU and Colorado in the mix. Colorado is more of a Big 12 school in terms of their style of play and weather. And Colorado is far with regards to travel. It doesn't belong on the west coast
Colorado is far from alot of the Big XII schools. And the Pac 10 can be worked around.....

Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 PM

5,543 posts, read 9,452,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Colorado is far from alot of the Big XII schools. And the Pac 10 can be worked around.....
If anyone is leaving it's Missouri (which probably will never happen anyway)....doubt Colorado would ever leave for the Pac10 either.

I still think the Big 12 should be realigned into an East and West division even with the teams that are currently in the Big 12. It would make our conference a lot stronger and more respectable overall....not just Texas schools + the Sooners as the primary juggernaught year in and year out.

Here's what it would look like:

East:
Iowa State
Kansas
Missouri
Oklahoma State
Oklahoma
Texas A&M

West:
Colorado
Nebraska
Kansas State
Baylor
Texas
Texas Tech

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,015,101 times
That is more balanced. Fat chance of it happening though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football