Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 01:54 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times

Advertisements

Terrible this year? Both the AP and USA Today polls had Michigan as #5 in the nations. All pregame prognostication had U of M blowing App out of the water. Las Vegas oddsmakers wouldn't even touch the game! They all assumed it would be no contest!

Coaching makes a difference, and I know a lot of people think Carr is lousy. Jerry Moore has been with App for years and knows the team well. He's a great coach. If you want to make the argument that U of M was outcoached, that's cool. However, with all the talent and all the scholarships on the team, I think it's hard to say that U of M is terrible this year. The only evidence of that is the defeat by App. Is it so hard to say that App is just good? Fast, capable, underestimated, and well coached? I'll be interested to see how the rest of the season goes for U of M.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 02:06 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Quote:
Both the AP and USA Today polls had Michigan as #5 in the nations.
Which turned out to be a huge mistake on their part.

Michigan is terrible this year. Their QB hasn't improved in four years. Their defensive line is more porous than a sponge. It's bad.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:04 PM

715 posts, read 1,669,803 times
I went to App for 1 year...but transferred out. When I was there, the biggest problem was that 90% of the students were fans of ACC schools....they liked App, but they didn't consider them their "A #1" favorite team. Until this changes, App will be considered a little guy.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:17 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
I went to App for 1 year...but transferred out. When I was there, the biggest problem was that 90% of the students were fans of ACC schools....they liked App, but they didn't consider them their "A #1" favorite team. Until this changes, App will be considered a little guy.
Maybe making the leap to Division 1-A will entice more students to make them their favorites. Going up a division comes first- not the other way around. Give the kids a reason to want to give their hearts to this team. To be in 1-AA, especially in that part of the country (deep in the heart of SEC and ACC country) makes it hard to throw yourself behind them 100% I would think.

And nothing for nothing, but if they made the commitment to go to 1-A, you know they would be competitive enough...

Old 09-04-2007, 07:57 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Yeah, there were definitely some of those ACC fans at App, but in my experience that was shown more during basketball season than football season.

When were you there, Splinter? I graduated in 04, and the longer I was there, the more into the team the students were. Every time I go back, thanks to the championships and now this, the bigger fans the students were. I think that'll continue to grow.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:52 PM

232 posts, read 994,304 times
Well, well, lookie here, posted online just moments ago:

"By PAUL NEWBERRY

AP National Writer

After pulling off one of the greatest upsets in college football history, Appalachian State is still shaking things up.

The Associated Press said Thursday that lower-division schools - that means you, Mountaineers - are now eligible for its 71-year-old poll.

"It's great they opened the door," Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore said. "Certainly we're not going to be the No. 1 team in the country. We know that. We're not even going to be in the top 10. But if you have a win over a nice football team, I like that it's not out of the realm of possibility for a school like us to be one of the top 20 or 25 teams in the country.""

Old 09-06-2007, 03:55 PM

The next logical step is to eliminate the subdivisions and let everyone just play football. Penalizing UM in such dramatic fashion in the polls for that loss only stands in the way of traditional D1 teams scheduling traditional 1AA teams in the future. Elimination of the subdivisions resolves that.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:59 PM

I'll say it again, a simple 32 team playoff starting Thanksgiving weekend and ending New Years day with a championship game. Like 'March Madness,' come up with something catchy and market the heck out of it. It'll work, folks. You can even let the bowl sites play host to the games. There's about 31 bowl games if you count the Navel Lint Bowl and others...

Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 AM

453 posts, read 2,100,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbkeel1 View Post
The next logical step is to eliminate the subdivisions and let everyone just play football. Penalizing UM in such dramatic fashion in the polls for that loss only stands in the way of traditional D1 teams scheduling traditional 1AA teams in the future. Elimination of the subdivisions resolves that.
but then you have a gazillion teams in one division. it's bad enough with 119 teams

Old 09-07-2007, 01:23 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
tablemtn wrote:
It was an impressive victory, but to be fair, Michigan is terrible this year, and their coach is slow to adapt to changes in the game.
Of course they're terrible. They lost to Appalachian State for petesakes! On the plus side for Michigan coaches...they'll use this loss as a motivation tactic into the next century. To be fair to Appalachian State...they must be pretty good....they beat Michigan State. I tip my hat to the entire team! Great victory.

blessings....Franco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football