Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:10 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times

Advertisements

Wow, with Missouri and Nebraska being given only two weeks to decide what they're going to do by the Big 12 commish, it sounds like this thing could happen much sooner than I anticipated. It sounds like some powerful Baylor alumni have leveraged a little muscle in this here in Texas and the Pac 10 sure isn't going to happy about taking them instead of Colorado! That's no slam to Baylor, for those of you who might not already know, the Pac 10 doesn't want to include any religious oriented universities in their conference. Baylor may end up saving the Big 12 when all is said and done...LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2010, 02:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Wow, with Missouri and Nebraska being given only two weeks to decide what they're going to do by the Big 12 commish, it sounds like this thing could happen much sooner than I anticipated. It sounds like some powerful Baylor alumni have leveraged a little muscle in this here in Texas and the Pac 10 sure isn't going to happy about taking them instead of Colorado! That's no slam to Baylor, for those of you who might not already know, the Pac 10 doesn't want to include any religious oriented universities in their conference. Baylor may end up saving the Big 12 when all is said and done...LOL.

Alright! The Baptists actually did something right for a change, LOL!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:35 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,525 times
If the Big 12 splits its gonna suck! Leave your conference for what(Neb/Colo/Mizzu)? We know the answer - $$$$. Thats if you can win on Saturday and win that big game. You can always play us Longhorns non-conference during week 1 or 2 and get crushed 63-13 hahahaa. There is nothing wrong with the Big 12 now it just all this TV, i want more money blah blah blah. Even if your on TV every weekend its not gonna get you anywhere. You must win first. Nebraska has done that back in the 80 and 90's so there fan base is good. Those other two teams just arent football driven schools like the OSUs Miamis, USCs etc. Sorry to rant but if those three leave then the Big whatever needs to get TCU, Arky, or longshot Notre Dame. Im done.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
I share your feelings on all this money grubbing. The Pac-10 is really showing it's colors with this expansion deal, academic fit my foot.

Still, Arky isn't moving dude. I think deep down you know that.

On the Arky note; here is an editorial on Alabaman newspaper on how Arky and Carolina are dead weight in the SEC.

Finebaum: Arkansas, South Carolina have been a drag on the SEC | al.com

Note, I don't endorse this argument, not in the slightest. Still to me it's evident of how exclusionary college football has become. If you aren't in the running for a national championship every year, then you are dead weight.

Now I like Carolina and it's fans but it's hard to argue in their favor historical wise. This is a MAJOR bone to Arky, a proud program with a proud tradition that has to face tougher competition now. The hell did he expect about them not factoring in so quickly?

They had to regroup and reorient themselves from the Texas centered SWC to the Southeast oriented SEC where they didn't have huge recruiting Cache.

If you haven't won a nat champ 50 years straight, haven't one one last year, don't have the TV markets you are NOTHING. That's all I hear these days.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Admittedly, I hate the entire idea. But it has been fun to listen to various viewpoints on Local sports radio.

Guys in KKFN Denver are worried about what will happen to CU and really don't want to see the remnants of the Big 8 obliterated.

Guys on The Ticket in Dallas say the same about the remnants of the SWC.

Guys in 1620 AM omaha call in HATE Texas.

KCMO is interesting, both stations say the state schools are a huge question mark but one says that Kansas should be able to find a home due to it's basketball cache.

None of the Pac 10 school area stations really care due to NBA finals and Baseball.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:06 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times
Seems like this thing is probably going to happen, at least to some extent. I don't mind as long as the traditional rivalries are preserved, and I'm definitely for the Pac-10 having to do a conference championship type system.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:36 AM

It's all gravy to me, just a big time waster. Long term nothing will change for my team Virginia.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:46 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
I share your feelings on all this money grubbing. The Pac-10 is really showing it's colors with this expansion deal, academic fit my foot.

Still, Arky isn't moving dude. I think deep down you know that.

On the Arky note; here is an editorial on Alabaman newspaper on how Arky and Carolina are dead weight in the SEC.

Finebaum: Arkansas, South Carolina have been a drag on the SEC | al.com

Note, I don't endorse this argument, not in the slightest. Still to me it's evident of how exclusionary college football has become. If you aren't in the running for a national championship every year, then you are dead weight.

Now I like Carolina and it's fans but it's hard to argue in their favor historical wise. This is a MAJOR bone to Arky, a proud program with a proud tradition that has to face tougher competition now. The hell did he expect about them not factoring in so quickly?

They had to regroup and reorient themselves from the Texas centered SWC to the Southeast oriented SEC where they didn't have huge recruiting Cache.

If you haven't won a nat champ 50 years straight, haven't one one last year, don't have the TV markets you are NOTHING. That's all I hear these days.

Man, Finebaum must be hurting for attention if he needs to start taking shots like that. Finebaum is a journalist who sells newspapers for a living. What he wrote is intended to draw attention, not to provide an analysis of what Arkansas and South Carolina bring to the table in the SEC.

He uses Bill Clinton and Mark Sanford as justification -- which has nothing to do with universities, or sports, or anything at all.

Last edited by le roi; 06-09-2010 at 06:56 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football