Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:23 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times

Advertisements

Don't under estimate the Texas recruiting poll. Give em some time.

Sure Arky is having a tough time, but fans sure have some tunnel vision.

Where was Florida before Spurrier for example, hmm? Bama had a Trojan sized sanction after effect too. Rocky Top had some lulls, '53-'63 anyone?

BUT THEY GET BACK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:19 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Saw this was posted on an Oregon board...interesting.

Pac-10 invites on the way, with Kansas looming large on the radar | CollegeFootballTalk.com

Last edited by Acuda; 06-11-2010 at 10:32 PM..

Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 PM

Sounds like A&M has been given 72 hours to decide.

Big 12 chaos: A&M mulls SEC, deadline to board rivals' Pac-10 flight - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF* - Yahoo! Sports

Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 PM

I'm thinking the Pac-16 will still form in a few years.

A&M wants $20 million it was promised

Old 07-29-2010, 03:02 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
I'm thinking the Pac-16 will still form in a few years.

A&M wants $20 million it was promised
I am starting to think more and more than next year will be the end of the Big XII. If this contract doesn't end up delivering the money A&M was promised, they are going to call the SEC back. Also have to consider the Big Ten's schedule where they might invite more teams between the end of the year and next June.

I think if the Pac-16 goes ahead which I think it eventually will it will be UT, Texas Tech, OU, and OSU with A&M to the SEC and Missouri to Big Ten or SEC.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
if there was going to be a Pac 16, I think it would have happend this year.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
if there was going to be a Pac 16, I think it would have happend this year.
I think it is still inevitable and very well could be next year. There is starting to be rumblings from Texas A&M that the money the Big XII promised might not come along with what the Big Ten does after the 12-18 timetable they planned out.

The guess is that we already know who the four teams will be, it is just when it happens. The question is would Texas (who is the keystone in all of this) accept if any more teams leave the Big XII (Texas A&M and/or Missouri are the teams most likely to trigger this)?

Old 07-31-2010, 11:06 AM

623 posts, read 1,542,655 times
Texas Tech are not getting an invite from the SEC.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Texas Tech would not for the simple reason of the school is in the far Western end of the state in Lubbock. They would be the Texas school that goes with UT in a Pac 16 scenario. Actually the Pac now at 12 will give cover to A&M going to the SEC eventually since there are not enough spots for both A&M and TT since in taking OU they will have to take OSU for political reasons. (And T. Boone Pickens money)

The only question now is when does it happen Tuberville's comments in my opinion are correct in eventually the Big XII will collapse since no longstanding issues were corrected. My guess is 50/50 it is after this season since there are two triggers that are coming up and the teams that are key to watch are Texas A&M and Mizzou. (Who might be secretly working together in some scenarios for certain reasons)

1. The Big Ten is still on their timeline for expansion and might decide to expand again after this year. If they decide to go to 14 with 16 later and are interested in Missouri, they might have to take them then for a reason I will explain later. In doing so the proposed Big XII contract might really be shaky which makes Texas A&M call the SEC again which if they bolt drops the total number of teams to 8. UT might start talking to the PAC at that point since conference strength becomes an issue since with the current proposed 10 team setup this would take out teams that might in the long term average the number 3 and 4 teams making the divide between UT, OU with the rest of the conference larger which isn't in either schools best interests.

2. Texas A&M sees that the media contract does not deliver on the revenue promised them which is why they didn't leave. (Political reasons might also of been in play, but stated earlier it might be less in the future due to the PAC can only take 4 now which means they can say going seperate ways protects Texas Tech) In doing this the Big Ten will likely have to immediately decide if they want to invite Missouri or they might lose their shot at them. This is due to reports right before UT decided to stay that A&M was pitching for Mizzou to join them to the SEC. (The SEC did want OU but they stated they wanted to stick with UT) Have to note that the SEC did mention they were not looking at ACC teams in any expansion first, especially the 4 Southernmost teams due to footprint. The NC or VA teams are unlikely to budge due to various political reasons. (VT even stated they weren't interested which will likely be the case, unless Virginia winds up in the Big Ten which isn't beyond the realm of possibilities as a longshot) There is some concern that the SEC might in delaying end up as the most regional of any superconference, the problem is there aren't many schools that can expand their footprint and be interested. They would also prefer the number 1 or 2 university in a state as well and prefer schools that are not tier-3 academically. (University presidents vote on things so academics do play some role and they are aware of the reputation of the SEC, they would love to find AAU universities on their list)

I just am seeing the Pac-16 scenario happening sooner than later under my scenarios with it being near certain by 2020.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:15 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Is the SEC afraid of Tech, with Tuberville as HC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football