U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM

944 posts, read 1,860,553 times

Advertisements

What did you major in? Management Information Systems
What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)? BS
What college did you go to? University of Arizona: Eller College of Management
What was your first job after graduation? Business Analyst at Accenture
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 12:56 AM

5,699 posts, read 17,378,951 times
What did you major in?
Graphic Communications (Graphic Design)

What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)?
Associate of Business

What college did you go to?
Baker College

And finally
What was your first job after graduation?
I graduate this fall and all of it was a complete waste of time and money. My husband got relocated mid way through my schooling. I am finishing on line. Where we moved there is a very low need for graphic designers and it is hard to transfer to any of the universities here because they consider graphic design an art degree and not business. I personally hate business and felt duped by this whole program. Mid way through they changed the degree from Associates of Applied Science to Associate of Business. I am taking a ton of business courses to complete my degree and I want to hang myself. Also recently found that the school realized that print is dying so they quietly discontinued my program. No one told me until I called when I had an issue with classes. I am grandfathered in but if for some reason I can not finish I have to chose their new and improved program called Digital Media. What a crock. Also in my new locale no one has ever heard of Baker so that I get a lot of disbelief on interviews. My former classmates all have jobs in design back home so it helps if you stay in that area but for me, its a complete waste.

Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,873,322 times
What did you major in? Philosophy and Education (BA) SPecial Ed (MA) Educational Leadership (EdD)
What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)? BA, MA, Ed.D.
What college did you go to? 4-yr East coast and expensivo! Thank god for scholarships/loans.

What was your first job after graduation? Teaching during day- continued working at a store 30 hrs. on weekends and night

Old 06-24-2010, 12:06 AM

112 posts, read 237,546 times
What did you major in? Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)? BSME, BSAE, Master of engineering in progress.
What college did you go to? Illinois Institute of Technology

What was your first job after graduation? None yet

Old 06-24-2010, 12:46 AM

10,012 posts, read 17,163,985 times
Liberal Arts, BA

Accounting, MS

First job after graduation---accounting clerk in hospital accounting dept

Old 06-25-2010, 10:00 AM

2,338 posts, read 7,263,172 times
What did you major in? Electronics Technology (AS), Liberal Arts (BA), MBA (in progress)
What college did you go to? Pittsburgh Institutite of Aeronautics, West Virginia University, and now Florida Gulf Coast University
What was your first job after graduation? After my associates, I worked for CompUSA in their repair department (making peanuts) and then found a job as a software tester. Interesting work, but I was hurting for benefits (it was a young start-up company that eventually went belly up). After that I started working in real estate/title insurance as a bookkeeper/escrow accountant/title insurance processor (sort of was a jack of all trades). I did that for 4 years until health reasons made me stop. I finished my BA (while unemployed) and picked up the job I have now (administrative assistant in a college). Although this is not where I want to be, I enjoy the flexibility to continue my grad school studies. I would love to get into management, training and/or human resources one day.

Old 06-25-2010, 11:57 AM

874 posts, read 1,537,529 times
I have a BA in art history from Ithaca College and my first job was being a receptionist at a health insurance company.

Old 06-26-2010, 02:22 AM

35,937 posts, read 35,912,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Just a couple random questions for whatever reason.

What did you major in?
What kind of degree did you get (ie BA, BS, AS, AA, PhD, etc)?
What college did you go to?
And finally
What was your first job after graduation?
I majored in liberal arts with a social science major. I already had a full time career/job in a field office when I graduated with a BA. I put myself through college at night so I could apply for bigger, better paying and more interesting positions with the degree. I applied for, interviewed for and was selected for a headquarters' job in another part of the country during my last semester of college. The new boss allowed me to finish college and report in three months and I literally moved on graduation day (didn't attend the ceremony) and reported 8 days later. I am now retired, after 34 years, with a nice pension that would not have happened if I didn't have the degree - the kind of degree didn't matter - where I got it didn't matter - but some of the classes I took, did help me have a leg up on other job competitors who also had degrees, as I moved up in my organization. I was responsible for managing, monitoring and reporting on the implementation of new programs from headquarters at the time I graduated and worked in the field office. I went to a job where I designed, monitored and ran field programs for 10 offices from headquarters after I graduated and I eventually did strategic planning for the organization at the time I retired.

The best classes I took that prepared me for all of my positions were Research Methodology, Research Methodology Lab and Statistics because they taught me scientific approaches to problems, research and analysis, and report writing skills to influence decision-makers. My school was known as a math/science oriented university and even the social science classes had that math/hard science emphasis.

I just want to tell all students who go broke with student debt that your bachelor's degree doesn't say you did your first two years in a community college. It just says that you graduated from XYZ University the same as it says on the degrees of students who went to the XYZ University for 4 years. Personally (although I could be wrong because I don't know how it works these days), it's easier to transfer to the school of your choice as a junior than trying to get in with the herd as a freshman.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:00 AM

35,937 posts, read 35,912,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I majored in liberal arts with a social science major. I already had a full time career/job in a field office when I graduated with a BA. I put myself through college at night so I could apply for bigger, better paying and more interesting positions with the degree. I applied for, interviewed for and was selected for a headquarters' job in another part of the country during my last semester of college. The new boss allowed me to finish college and report in three months and I literally moved on graduation day (didn't attend the ceremony) and reported 8 days later. I am now retired, after 34 years, with a nice pension that would not have happened if I didn't have the degree - the kind of degree didn't matter - where I got it didn't matter - but some of the classes I took, did help me have a leg up on other job competitors who also had degrees, as I moved up in my organization. I was responsible for managing, monitoring and reporting on the implementation of new programs from headquarters at the time I graduated and worked in the field office. I went to a job where I designed, monitored and ran field programs for 10 offices from headquarters after I graduated and I eventually did strategic planning for the organization at the time I retired.

The best classes I took that prepared me for all of my positions were Research Methodology, Research Methodology Lab and Statistics because they taught me scientific approaches to problems, research and analysis, and report writing skills to influence decision-makers. My school was known as a math/science oriented university and even the social science classes had that math/hard science emphasis.

I just want to tell all students who go broke with student debt that your bachelor's degree doesn't say you did your first two years in a community college. It just says that you graduated from XYZ University the same as it says on the degrees of students who went to the XYZ University for 4 years. Personally (although I could be wrong because I don't know how it works these days), it's easier to transfer to the school of your choice as a junior than trying to get in with the herd as a freshman.
DUH! Of couse I didn't major in both Liberal Arts and Social Science.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:18 AM

6,046 posts, read 10,525,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

Community college isn't good for everyone. In the fall, I am going to be taking 300 level classes as a sophomore. Can't take 300 level classes at a community college. I would just end up being behind if I started out at community college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities