U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:37 AM

333 posts, read 926,397 times

Advertisements

I'm wanting to go to college to be a registered dietitian. I've seen some schools have Dietetic Technician associate's degrees, but not a Bachelor's for a Registered Dietitian. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to get a Dietitian Technician associate's degree, and then go to another college for 2 more years that does have the registered dietitian courses and if they would accept them as part of your 4 year Bachelor's? I haven't heard or read anything about if anyone else has done this, so I'm not sure if it's possible. Thank you to anybody who might know.

P.S. I do know I could receive a Bachelor's without all this transferring involved with an associate's, but I'm just curious if it could be done this way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 02:40 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,263,843 times
I think the ADA has a list of approved four year programs - usually they are a BS in Nutrition or Dietetics.

You basically complete the program and also have to complete other requirements (last I checked, and it has been a while the requirement was an unpaid internship) to be eligible for the RD. Its like nursing where you do the program but you are not an RN until you actually pass the NCLEX. For RD I don't think there is an exam but the internship, but you can have a degree in nutrition without having the RD.

I don't know if any 2+2 programs exist and you might waste credits doing the 2 yr program first b/c the professional courses would be lower level for that versus upper level. Usually your first couple of yrs in the 4-yr program is science and core prerequisites to prepare you for the upper level nutrition coursework.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 PM

90,377 posts, read 111,534,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
I think the ADA has a list of approved four year programs - usually they are a BS in Nutrition or Dietetics.

You basically complete the program and also have to complete other requirements (last I checked, and it has been a while the requirement was an unpaid internship) to be eligible for the RD. Its like nursing where you do the program but you are not an RN until you actually pass the NCLEX. For RD I don't think there is an exam but the internship, but you can have a degree in nutrition without having the RD.

I don't know if any 2+2 programs exist and you might waste credits doing the 2 yr program first b/c the professional courses would be lower level for that versus upper level. Usually your first couple of yrs in the 4-yr program is science and core prerequisites to prepare you for the upper level nutrition coursework.

Good luck!
There is an exam for an RD, that's why it's called Registered Dietician.

Commission on Dietetic Registration - Certifications and Licensure (http://www.cdrnet.org/certifications/rddtr/rddefinition.htm - broken link)

Commission on Dietetic Registration - Certifications and Licensure (http://www.cdrnet.org/certifications/rddtr/rdindex.htm - broken link)

The first is a link within the second link.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:16 PM

800 posts, read 1,202,956 times
What state are you in, or what state would you like to attend college?

Old 06-24-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
What state are you in, or what state would you like to attend college?
I'm in Tennessee, but I'd like to go pretty much anywhere but here for college. None of the colleges here are that great, especially in the dietitian area. =/ I'm looking at ones in the other english speaking countries too, but in the U.S. I'll probably be somewhere in the midwest. I'm still looking at a fair amount of colleges overall, mostly just one college per state that I'll list; California, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Washington, Indiana, New York, North Carolina, Nebraska, Florida, Kansas, and New Jersey. I know you can do 4 year programs, but I was just curious if the Dietetic Technician's associate degree could go towards a Bachelor's for Dietitian's, so it could've maybe kept my options open a little more, but I've got enough options anyway lol. Now I'm just getting to the tough part of narrowing it down more so I can choose.
I can list the individual colleges if you'd like?

Old 06-24-2010, 10:27 PM

29,985 posts, read 40,249,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaygirl05 View Post
I'm in Tennessee, but I'd like to go pretty much anywhere but here for college. None of the colleges here are that great, especially in the dietitian area. =/ I'm looking at ones in the other english speaking countries too, but in the U.S. I'll probably be somewhere in the midwest. I'm still looking at a fair amount of colleges overall, mostly just one college per state that I'll list; California, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Washington, Indiana, New York, North Carolina, Nebraska, Florida, Kansas, and New Jersey. I know you can do 4 year programs, but I was just curious if the Dietetic Technician's associate degree could go towards a Bachelor's for Dietitian's, so it could've maybe kept my options open a little more, but I've got enough options anyway lol. Now I'm just getting to the tough part of narrowing it down more so I can choose.
I can list the individual colleges if you'd like?
Have you considered nursing school with a Masters in nutrition and dietetics? Vanderbilt appears to have a good program. A degree from Vanderbilt carries weight over state Universities. It is considered the foundation of the Ivy League of the South.

Vanderbilt University School of Nursing - Master of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics

Old 06-24-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Have you considered nursing school with a Masters in nutrition and dietetics? Vanderbilt appears to have a good program. A degree from Vanderbilt carries weight over state Universities. It is considered the foundation of the Ivy League of the South.

Vanderbilt University School of Nursing - Master of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics
Yes I know Vanderbilt is one of the top schools in the world just like some of these others I'm looking at. Plus my cousin was going there for the nursing, he just finished it up. I'm not interested in nursing, because I wanna help people lose weight and be healthier. Vanderbilt does offer a Dietitian Internship, but that only matters after I've gone to college elsewhere, so for at the moment that's not as helpful for me until I get to that stage. I sorta wish they offered a Bachelor's though, it's a pain that they don't. Same thing with a Master's ^ I'd have to get a Bachelor's elsewhere first.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 AM

20,793 posts, read 57,553,884 times
The University of MN offers a program in nutrition and dietetics. One thing to keep in mind is that many places now want someone with a Masters Degree but getting a bachelors is a good start.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The University of MN offers a program in nutrition and dietetics. One thing to keep in mind is that many places now want someone with a Masters Degree but getting a bachelors is a good start.
seriously? if that's the case then why do so many offer more Bachelor's than Master's? Yea I've looked at a ton of colleges so that included University of Minnesota. I mostly didn't think the curriculum suited me, but I am getting my other choices narrowed down as we speak. If I decide to get a Master's later on, I've got a few places in mind, like Vanderbilt for example, University of Michigan, University of Seattle, and University of Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas. Just to name a few main ones. As I would've gone to any of these right now if they had a Bachelor's.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:38 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,263,843 times
OP have you looked at this list?

Becoming an RD or DTR - Accredited or Approved Education Programs

and this page?

http://www.eatright.org/students/edu...starthere.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities