U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 10:07 PM

677 posts, read 1,567,970 times

Advertisements

I attended a 4-year university in Wisconsin and did horribly. It was totally my fault - a combination of immaturity, stress and mental issues. I dropped out two semesters in a row, appealed (and won) both times after that. I ended last semester with abysmal grades in academic probation.

One option now is to pay for 9 credits out of pocket and then be allowed to receive financial aid (it gets frozen when one is on academic probation). I could apply for a personal loan through the credit union I work at to pay for 9 credits and then continue to attend this institution.

OR I could apply at a local community college affiliated with the 4-year school. This school guarantees transfer to any colleges in the University of Wisconsin system, including Madison.

I'm a bit stuck. I want to raise my grades in the first school by retaking courses, and I love the city the school is in. On the other hand, I'm not sure I'd even qualify for a personal loan and I feel like I should punish myself for being such a moron and just stay in this crappy area (close to family ) for a couple more years at the 2-year school. I'd save a bit of money on tuition which doesn't hurt, but I will need to pay to send my transcripts and whatnot. I would be getting a teeny tiny studio apartment if financial aid allows for it, so there wouldn't be much of a change in COL either way.

What would you do? (Besides not doing terribly in the first place. )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 04:39 AM

2,002 posts, read 4,421,693 times
CC all the way.

Old 07-10-2010, 03:33 PM

24,566 posts, read 38,410,171 times
I don't see the stigma attached to doing your basics at a community college. We are extremely lucky in Dallas County to have a superb system of community colleges that teach not only the first two years of "basics" for students preparing to transfer to a 4-year school but continuing/adult education and vocational degree courses as well. CCs are a treasure.

If it will save you money and you are sure the credits will transfer, go for it. Just don't assume that CC courses will be easy; they're often not. Open admission doesn't mean that they're going to take it easy on you!

Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 PM

917 posts, read 2,846,705 times
Look at the CC as a chance to start over. It will give you a chance to prove to the school you want to attend that you can now do the work. A good year or two at CC will help you make up for your rough start.

Old 07-10-2010, 09:50 PM

917 posts, read 2,846,705 times
PS, You sound like you've got your head on straight and you're ready to work, so keep that focus and knock 'em dead with awesome grades from the CC. I bet you'll find that once you build some momentum now that you're really motivated, you'll succeed both at the CC and at Madison. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities