Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 03:33 PM

430 posts, read 921,151 times

Advertisements

What are they? Would college course registry office an excellent source for a good answer? And if so would they be open to such inquiry or turn you down with privacy consideration or excuse?

I know city-data may not be THE forum to ask this question, what forum out there for this sort of question might be a good bet?

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 03:40 PM

874 posts, read 1,663,732 times
I think you could just call admissions at the school you are interested in and ask them.

However, when I was a freshman I took some 101 classes, like Introduction to Biology or World Art History III: The Modern Level. I would look for classes with 100 as the prefix. You could also look at typical degree programs and the schedule of classes that they suggest students take.

I hope this helps!

Old 07-11-2010, 09:21 PM

430 posts, read 921,151 times
Thanks, I'm not going to be a freshman myself would like to maximize my time investment, calling each college would take tons of time if I have other options...

Old 07-11-2010, 10:10 PM

3,823 posts, read 5,385,410 times
Usually, in the USA, a college freshman has to take some basic core classes and a few electives. Here is a typical list:

English Composition
Speech or Literature
Math (some level: Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Calculus)
Natural Science elective
Social Science elective
Physical Education
Intro to Your Choice of Field (unless you are an undeclared major)

If you are a hard science or engineering major, you will have to take Physics and Chemistry. If a soft science, Biology and Chemistry.
Art and Business majors seem to have greater flexibility in what they can take in their first year.

Hope this helps. I teach at a college, and can only really answer in a general sense since the first year depends upon your declared major.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM

37,181 posts, read 42,370,615 times
GE classes mostly. Whatever you need English/Math wise is usually top of the list. I know at my daughters college a course called "Magic, Witchcraft and Religion" was a the most popular beginning Anthro class and, according to my daughter, not nearly as fun as it sounded.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,953,930 times
Popular by what definition? By the highest enrollment? By reported student satisfaction surveys? By number of time slots offered? Longest wait list?

I think a registrar's office would decline to answer because they just wouldn't know how to answer. You need to be more specific. The answers to any of the above definitions of popularity would not reveal confidential student information. But it would be proprietary to the university, and for that reason they would probably require a formal written request rather than a telephone call, along with a better explanation of the type of data you are looking for, and an explanation of how you intend to use the data. If you're just writing a school essay they might be fine with sharing it. If you're looking to write an editorial for a newspaper they might decline your request.

If you just want to know which courses see the highest enrollment, you'd probably be ahead to just request a course catalog and see whcih courses have the most time slots.

Last edited by kodaka; 07-11-2010 at 10:33 PM..

Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM

15,905 posts, read 21,535,547 times
Varies greatly.

My college didn't really have general education, so there were no "freshman" classes. I took entry level classes my senior year and high level seminars my freshman year.

Some of my freshman year classes included: Intro to Anthropology (prereq for my major), Macroeconomics, Aesthetics of Art and Film (philosophy course), Revolutions in the 3rd World, Latin American Female Icons (seminar), Chemistry of Sustainability, and the Political Economy of Argentina and Brazil. Your mileage may vary.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:28 AM

874 posts, read 1,663,732 times
Aesthetics of Art and Film sounds awesome. I'm jealous.

Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 AM

26 posts, read 49,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Usually, in the USA, a college freshman has to take some basic core classes and a few electives. Here is a typical list:

English Composition
Speech or Literature
Math (some level: Algebra, Pre-Calculus, Calculus)
Natural Science elective
Social Science elective
Physical Education
Intro to Your Choice of Field (unless you are an undeclared major)

If you are a hard science or engineering major, you will have to take Physics and Chemistry. If a soft science, Biology and Chemistry.
Art and Business majors seem to have greater flexibility in what they can take in their first year.

Hope this helps. I teach at a college, and can only really answer in a general sense since the first year depends upon your declared major.

This person is right. There will be a "core" list of classes then you take your major requirements. Take intro to/general psychology!! Interesting and fulfills social science elective! Also try yahoo answers with this question.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:24 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,926,173 times
I agree with the others who told you to:

look at the core requirements
look at the course schedule for the classes with the most time slots

This is where you will, in general, find a lot of the freshmen. Pretty much everyone has certain classes they need to complete or test out of. (like English, College Algebra or Calculus, social science - Psych is usually popular but Soc can be too, some sort of Art Appreciation - Music Appreciation was the popular one to fulfill this at my school, and so on...).

Are you still trying to develop your interactive study/notes software? - have you considered a niche market like pre-Nursing or pre-Med? There are people out there desperate for any tool that will help them with courses like Anatomy and Physiology and Chemistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities