U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:50 PM

26,345 posts, read 86,162,015 times

Advertisements

What do CNN's internet visitors think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	race.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	4786
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 09:02 PM

86 posts, read 353,517 times
Perhaps we could ask.... should race play any factor in scholarships awarded?

I think the "yes" answers you are seeing might be thinking about minorities. Not so much that you should get a yes or no based on your race but that the admissions standards should be different for minorities who may have had more challenges to overcome.

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with minority scholarships or minority admissions standards, but they do exist... for better or worse.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 26,804,187 times
I don't think there are too many people out there who haven't been discriminated against because of their race. I have paid the price in academia and in the workplace. It changed my life. I'm not bitter about it; it's just a fact.

I say enough already. Let everyone stand and be judged on their own merits.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 PM

646 posts, read 1,538,936 times
Yes, I think that race should count as a factor for minorities that have been discriminated against.

For example, take a black kid who went to a bad inner city school, had a single parent, had to work to buy his own food as a teenager, and still pulls a 3.0 average with decent SATs.

Don't you think that this person is just as deserving as a white student from an upper income family, 2 parents, private school, SAT tutors, who scores 3.4 GPA and pretty good SATs?

It is about handicapping, and some people deserve some slack due to their circumstances.

How do to this equitably is a much, much tougher question. It would most likely be much more fair to do it based upon income status rather than race, although in some areas those things are analogous.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:30 PM

483 posts, read 1,827,459 times
I think colleges should focus on social class, not race.

I'm Black, and I grew up working-class in a mill town. When I went to college, I was the only Black student who hadn't gone through the remedial summer program. No one knew what to make of me. I wasn't Black enough for the Black kids. Most of my friends were white kids from mill towns.

A few years later, I applied for an internship program aimed at Blacks and Hispanics. They had a big convention. At least 60% of the people there had parents who were doctors and lawyers. Most had their own computers, with internet access, which wasn't common then. I left feeling like there were far too many rich kids in that room.

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 06-30-2007 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: more information

Old 06-30-2007, 10:23 PM

402 posts, read 2,092,343 times
As a grad student at a large state university around 15 years ago, I advised undergraduates in life sciences. Part of my job involved meeting incoming freshman during the summer, and place them into appropriate classes.

It killed me some of the students that were admitted because of their race alone. Their ACT's were far below the average admitted student...they had special classes, special tutors, and other special groups to help them succeed.

Now, this was the top public institution in the state. I guess it was so they'd have the paper with that institution's name on it...but wouldn't it have made more sense to admit them to another good state school (just not the top one) that they were considered average, so they weren't constantly struggling (and the state having to pay twice as much to maintain them?)?

Old 07-01-2007, 07:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,207,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch00 View Post
Yes, I think that race should count as a factor for minorities that have been discriminated against.

For example, take a black kid who went to a bad inner city school, had a single parent, had to work to buy his own food as a teenager, and still pulls a 3.0 average with decent SATs.

Don't you think that this person is just as deserving as a white student from an upper income family, 2 parents, private school, SAT tutors, who scores 3.4 GPA and pretty good SATs?

It is about handicapping, and some people deserve some slack due to their circumstances.

How do to this equitably is a much, much tougher question. It would most likely be much more fair to do it based upon income status rather than race, although in some areas those things are analogous.
This is comparing apples to grapefruit. If you are comparing admission by race then all other things should be equal. No, student #1 should not be admitted before student #2, #2 had better qualify standards. Now if student #2 and student #1 had the same GPA, the same SAT, then ok. Your example is a perfect example of reverse discrimination and that isn't right either.

Personally I think that all identifying information should be removed from school applications all together and your admission based on your grades, test scores and your recommendations.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:51 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,548,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
This is comparing apples to grapefruit. If you are comparing admission by race then all other things should be equal. No, student #1 should not be admitted before student #2, #2 had better qualify standards. Now if student #2 and student #1 had the same GPA, the same SAT, then ok. Your example is a perfect example of reverse discrimination and that isn't right either.

Personally I think that all identifying information should be removed from school applications all together and your admission based on your grades, test scores and your recommendations.

I totally agree...there is a reverse discrimination here that people dont like talking about ...and its based on social status, class and income levels.
I didnt get any special help from any scholarships that required seeing my folks tax returns..because they "made too much"..even thought I met the requirements and thought I had a shot...no money for me, because of my upper class neighborhood, white colar professional folks (thanks mom and dad for actually making something of yourselves, and earning a good living right?!).

BTW-- I am asian. And you know what...its water under the bridge..but I dont believe that race should play a factor at all in admissions, scholarships ore anything.

Its one thing to have scholarships "based" on what your background or gender (IE..maybe some female studies scholarships or male scholarship, or Native american scholarships)--Those actually promote the advancement of your own culture and background to do better so you CAN pay for college.

But to have the general science, math or biology scholarships made by local corporations and charities and such based on race.

Or have college admissions based on race...I dont think it should be a factor at all.

And for someone saying that a person is "more deserving" to go to college because he/she was brought up in hard times, and worked to put food on the table and managed the 3.0 gpa admissions factor, versus the private schooled, private tutored white kid who got a 3.4 gpa. The white child alreayd had a better gpa to get in anyway..so how is that even a comparision?

Why should he be turned down at the college of his choice...because he had more advantages in life. Maybe his parents grew up working class and busted their humps to raise to level where they could afford and give their owns kids the oppurtunity to do better..and what a slap in the face it would be for them, after all that hard work..their kid gets discriminated against.

What about the non black kid that wants to go to a historically black college...because its has a good program, good tuition etc etc etc..and they dont care about ethinicity at all but the value of their education...are they going to be turned down when the admissions committee stare at the applicant with a 3.7 valedictorian GPA, versus the black kid transferring in from a local community college with a 3.0 gpa. Is the admissions committe going to stare in confusion and say "Why would the white kid want to go here" and mark "denied" on the application and "approved" on the black kids?

I am very opposed to special treatment for races and ethnicities... one should stand up on their own two feet, and make there mark in the world on their own merits..whether it takes them 10 years to make it thru college or 4 years.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:05 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,073,270 times
As a small portion, maybe. But race should not be the deciding factor.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 AM

792 posts, read 2,964,169 times
No need to even beat around the bush on this one. We can talk all argue all day long whether it is a quota system or not, what injustices lie in our socio-economic structure, whether it is an issue of race, or class....bottom line: race factor admissions is a blatant violation of the 14th amendment. End of discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities