Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,006,177 times

Advertisements

I took a Creative Writing class in high school and loved it! & since then, I have graduated w/ a degree in Elementary Education but would love to go back for my Master's in Fine Arts for Creative Writing. I do love reading & writing enough for it, but I'm wondering if an MFA would have enough merit in today's economy? How competitive are these programs? I'd imagine that they are pretty competitive & not the easiest to be accepted into. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 08:39 PM

Actually, mods could you delete this thread? I created one like this about a year ago? Thanks.

see:
//www.city-data.com/forum/colle...e-writing.html

Old 09-27-2010, 01:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,853,075 times
Before this thread is deleted, I would have to say "No"...

I just don't think that there's any point in paying graduate-level tuition for a degree that, in all probability, will not increase your employment status. It would be just one more debt added on to the pile..

Old 09-29-2010, 07:15 AM

26,899 posts, read 43,406,570 times
An MFA isn't going to get you anywhere. If you can commit to a Doctorate program you'll realize some dividends.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:04 PM

119 posts, read 379,044 times
get the MFA, follow your passion; w/ that degree you will be able to teach Eng Comp in college (if you would like to)
most importantly, go after what you want
as to MFA programs, look into schools that offer lo res MFAs and part time programs
enjoy!

Old 10-01-2010, 11:32 PM

23,891 posts, read 32,193,454 times
In creative writing the MFA IS the terminal tenure track degree with a few exceptions.

One can write and teach. And for some that is bliss! What is better than bliss?

Oh I know money right? Someone will surely say that so aaaaai will say it first.

That line of thought is otherworldly to some. Yet it works well for others.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 AM

10,629 posts, read 26,646,028 times
The top programs are very competitive. I would only bother with the MFA in creative writing if it was from one of the best-known programs; you're going to need that name brand recognition to get a leg up when looking for one of the few teaching jobs. And if you're not planning on teaching with it, then I don't think it's worth it unless you have the money (or can get it funded); you certainly don't need one to be a writer. There are even some out there who think they hurt, not help, writers. Iowa is the big name in the field (recognizable even to many people who don't work in the field, which I assume would be a major plus if trying to leverage it into a job), but there are others. Admissions are highly competitive, at least at the top programs.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:41 AM

At this point, I'm debating whether or not I should consider the MFA for financial reasons or if I should go after something more lucrative (like an MBA or something of the like). I'm a teacher so I'd like to explore something a little different aside from teaching, yet I'm exploring the pros & cons of the MFA in Creative Writing. Writing is close to my heart, but I'm wary of it being worth it. It's more of a hobby than anything, so I don't want to selfishly invest in money for an MFA when I could obtain a Master's in something more worthy. I wonder if I should invest my money in a more profitable master's program.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,840,203 times
A lot of MBA programs are a waste of time and money. If the program will admit people who haven't already established themselves in business/management [that is, people who have no serious work history] then I would avoid it like the plague.

I have a bachelor's in creative writing, I was interested in grad school back then but was told I was too young. Ended up going into accounting but that hasn't really paid off either. Not sure if going for what is "practical" is really worth it in that for me the end result has been mostly the same.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:17 PM

18,837 posts, read 37,232,187 times
Education is not worthless. If you want money, be a doctor, or an orthodontist. My friend graduated with a degree in Audiology, has his own company, and is making tons of money, does not even hire people to work for him, he has an office filled with grad students working there for free. But, do this if you want, and forget about the money. Money will come to you, if you let it. Maybe you will intern at a publishing house in NYC, get a fantastic job in publishing. Maybe you will end up doing technical writing, or like my friend, who has a masters in Spanish, she is now a court reporter making lots more than she would with her degreee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities