Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2010, 10:46 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,338,615 times

Advertisements

Hey folks, I have been looking online and can't find a good answer, thought i would pick the brains of you guys out there. any help is appreciated.

i am a new college student, age 37, and i have been accepted but need to take my placement exams. i have always been brilliant at words and grammar- literally scored the highest possible on my GED, entrance exams twice before, and wrote award-winning papers in school. but math? it took me until the 5th grade to learn to read a clock, but i had a college reading level in second grade. its almost hilarious how lopsided i am.
i REALLY don't want to score badly on these placement tests- last time i went to school (about 7 years ago) i had to take remedial math. i really just want to place normally on it this time so that i can get my required math out of the way. i am good at geometry and drafting, and that is about the only mathematical application that i could imagine using in my work ( i am studying film and i might need to know some drafting for set design- maybe).

in short, i need to study my math for these placement tests (i learn excellently on my own which is why i have not gone back to school all these years). i want to find some sort of software or website (for Mac) that i can test myself with. even some sort of game would work. anything i can find seems to be for much younger kids. i really want to LEARN something, not just "get by". i want to brush up as well as absorb the knowledge. i studied surveying for a while and after a couple months i had a HUGE math breakthrough and i know my mind can eventually think that way. having a program would help me enormously.

i hope someone can throw some ideas at me- something like rosetta stone but for math? thanks a bunch, and i hope everyone has a great holiday. : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 02:02 PM

270 posts, read 502,392 times
If you find a Rosetta Stone or LiveMocha for math, please let me know, too. It's my worst subject. I did manage to escape remedial math in college, though. Make sure you've taken up to Algebra II / Trig before you take the placement exam. Assuming you know basic Algebra, just brush up on a few common geometry and trigonometry formulas. Then, study algorythms and such for Algebra II. Later, take a CLEP exam. This should place you in the Pre-Calculus sequence when you take your entrance exam, meaning you won't have to take remedial math.

As for math learning software, I don't know of any off hand. Software that helps with memory might be helpful, though. Here's a link (http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/download-mnemosyne.php. - broken link). There should be a flashcard program and some other memory tricks you can use. I recommend you take advantage of your strong linguistic background and treat formulas like new words. Try making up definitions or stories to go with the "word" to help you remember the formula. Yeah, it's a little time consuming, but memorization is the only way I know to do math. Also, try to understand the problems as you are working them out. It's tempting just to memorize the order of operations and treat the problems like a set of meaningless puzzles, but try to understand why you picked certain answers and what the problems are really saying. This website's (http://http://www.math.com/practice/Algebra.html - broken link) kind of low tech, but it does have some helpful resources.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:09 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,338,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
If you find a Rosetta Stone or LiveMocha for math, please let me know, too. It's my worst subject. I did manage to escape remedial math in college, though. Make sure you've taken up to Algebra II / Trig before you take the placement exam. Assuming you know basic Algebra, just brush up on a few common geometry and trigonometry formulas. Then, study algorythms and such for Algebra II. Later, take a CLEP exam. This should place you in the Pre-Calculus sequence when you take your entrance exam, meaning you won't have to take remedial math.

As for math learning software, I don't know of any off hand. Software that helps with memory might be helpful, though. Here's a link (http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/download-mnemosyne.php. - broken link). There should be a flashcard program and some other memory tricks you can use. I recommend you take advantage of your strong linguistic background and treat formulas like new words. Try making up definitions or stories to go with the "word" to help you remember the formula. Yeah, it's a little time consuming, but memorization is the only way I know to do math. Also, try to understand the problems as you are working them out. It's tempting just to memorize the order of operations and treat the problems like a set of meaningless puzzles, but try to understand why you picked certain answers and what the problems are really saying. This website's (http://http://www.math.com/practice/Algebra.html - broken link) kind of low tech, but it does have some helpful resources.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little.
thanks!! that little trick with the formula is a really good idea. funnily enough algebra is one of my better subjects, because of the letters. i don't know why that makes a difference, but.....

i DO want to know the formulas, not just memorize. i don't want to learn a bunch of stuff and then promptly forget it. good hint too on the level of math i will need to pass the placement- and i had been reading about the CLEP, that is probably the way to go. i am willing to wait a semester if i need to instead of going in completely math-ignorant. if i find a program like rosetta stone for math, i will DEFINITELY let you know. til then, i will check out those links and i will also look up some hard copy stuff to study with. thanks again, that is great info!

Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 PM

270 posts, read 502,392 times
Cool math .com - Math Help - math lessons to help with arithmetic, fractions, decimals, long division and algebra
Lessons and Tutoring - Reviews
Online Geometry Activities & Learning Games: Free Middle, High School & Homeschool Math.

These sites might be able to help with basic math, Algebra & Geometry.

For more advanced math (http://http://iweb.langara.bc.ca/mathstats/resource/onWeb/precalculus/index.htm - broken link), try this site. I wish you luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities