Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 01:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dood444 View Post
If I get a MS in CS will outsourcing not be an issue at all?
Corporations are hiring PhD's in India in CS for $35K/year USD.
That MS will not guarantee you any security.

Been in the industry for over 20 years.
The offshoring started in the mid 90's with customer service and small code fixes to older products.

Fast forward to today and you have entire projects, new projects, being done offshore. R&D is now offshore because the cost of labor is so cheap.
And India and China are graduating Engineers quicker than we are.

Just look at booming Bangalore to see the big name multi-nationals who have offices/labs there.

There will always be the need for some local CS folks, but the good ole days of engineering jobs in the US are well behind us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 06:28 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There will always be the need for some local CS folks, but the good ole days of engineering jobs in the US are well behind us.
I've been in same industry almost 20 years and see it completely differently, there is still plenty of opportunity and just about every projection on careers shows computer programmer being in demand well into the future.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:08 PM

143 posts, read 377,992 times
I was a CS major, worked in IT for a while before going back to school for a different career.

I think outsourcing is a problematic issue for any software engineer, and I believe it is here to stay. However, I believe CS is a financially viable major to study in college. It will get your foot in the door at major corporations, it will give you an advantage on promotions in tech companies (as compared to nontechie business people vying for management spots). The degree allows for some hour flexibility since you can work from home. It is also versatile, as you can work in tech or nontech companies.

Outsourcing is probably the biggest threat to programmers. What you can do from the comfort of your own home, someone in India can also do on the cheap. Thankfully, the time differential makes the logistics of working with India programmers problematic for companies. I forsee a slow migration over there for some work, but there will always be IT jobs here. Defense work can't be outsourced. Plus, some IT work requires the presence of programmers. Also, short term projects may find the longer turnaround of India programmers (due to time differential) to be an issue.

Salary-wise, I always thought it was good. I attended a selective school with a decent engineering program. Most of my friends received jobs in the range of $50-80k (although this was several years ago so it is probably higher now....). Many of them found jobs before graduation. And we all graduated AFTER the dotcom bust. Prior to that, we heard graduates were seeing multiple offers and six figure salaries (which, 7+ years ago, was pretty good). However, I have met people in not so good CS programs that found pretty low paying jobs ($35k range), so I guess it helps to get into good programs.

Anyways, I encourage anyone with an interest to do it. I decided to leave the profession because I always had an interest elsewhere. If you have an interest in coding, designing software or the tech side, it is a worthy endeavor to pursue.

Old 12-27-2010, 08:46 AM

191 posts, read 946,168 times
Job security 8/10 (some outsourcing depending on company, but a lot more secure than others)
Salary 9/10 (great bang for your buck, in my opinion. Average starting salary for CS majors at my school based on reported jobs was $59-60k. I started in the $60s and I was an IT major which supposedly makes slightly less on average.)
Potential for entrepreneurship 10/10 (but I think everyone has an equal chance at this)
Use to society 9/10 (computers run the world)
Happiness 5/10 (Depends. A lot of the time we're doing trivial programming for the companies we work for. You don't always go home with a sense of accomplishment everyday.)

Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phylogeny View Post
I was a CS major, worked in IT for a while before going back to school for a different career.

I think outsourcing is a problematic issue for any software engineer, and I believe it is here to stay. However, I believe CS is a financially viable major to study in college. It will get your foot in the door at major corporations, it will give you an advantage on promotions in tech companies (as compared to nontechie business people vying for management spots). The degree allows for some hour flexibility since you can work from home. It is also versatile, as you can work in tech or nontech companies.

Outsourcing is probably the biggest threat to programmers. What you can do from the comfort of your own home, someone in India can also do on the cheap. Thankfully, the time differential makes the logistics of working with India programmers problematic for companies. I forsee a slow migration over there for some work, but there will always be IT jobs here. Defense work can't be outsourced. Plus, some IT work requires the presence of programmers. Also, short term projects may find the longer turnaround of India programmers (due to time differential) to be an issue.

Salary-wise, I always thought it was good. I attended a selective school with a decent engineering program. Most of my friends received jobs in the range of $50-80k (although this was several years ago so it is probably higher now....). Many of them found jobs before graduation. And we all graduated AFTER the dotcom bust. Prior to that, we heard graduates were seeing multiple offers and six figure salaries (which, 7+ years ago, was pretty good). However, I have met people in not so good CS programs that found pretty low paying jobs ($35k range), so I guess it helps to get into good programs.

Anyways, I encourage anyone with an interest to do it. I decided to leave the profession because I always had an interest elsewhere. If you have an interest in coding, designing software or the tech side, it is a worthy endeavor to pursue.
great post, pretty accurate all the way around. I've also decided to go in a different direction for other interests. Just couldn't see myself in that profession any longer and the economy and lack of GREAT jobs anyhow kind of gives me a foot in the behind.

And yeah there are some high paying 100K jobs for sure... they are often concentrated in high COL areas. Just for example 100K in SF would be roughly equivalent to making 60K in Dallas.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:33 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,677,824 times
I didn't major in computer science, but had some roommates who did. There are some high paying jobs out there but many of them had trouble finding good paying jobs and when they did find jobs, the salaries were not as impressive as I've heard some figures at. They graduated around 2002-2005.

Not that it's a bad job, it's just not the cash cow as it was made out to be in the late 90's. You're going to have to do some work to get the job you want just like most other majors.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM

13 posts, read 76,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
What in the world is a degree in IT? Do you mean computer science? Your mention of certs sounds like you might have some bus-stop-newspaper IT degree, is that correct?

Information Technology degree with a core win Windows server administration.

Also have A+, Net+, and MCSA

For gosh sakes man you are replying to a computer science post and you honestly don't know what IT means, REALLY I hope you are joking

Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,733 times
Quote:
On a scale of 1 to 10 can people rate it in these areas?

Job security
Salary
Potential for entrepreneurship(heard comp sci majors make small businesses a lot, is this true?)
Use to society
Happiness

I'm thinking about majoring in it. I might go for SE though instead of just programming. I would need a masters for that though right?
Job Security- 8
Salary-9
Potential for Ent.-7
Use to society-10
Happiness-depends on the individual

Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Security: 8/10 (risk of outsourcing to India and such)
The key to keeping your job from being outsouced is to always keep your skills up-to-date. That's one thing about technology that people tend to forget, that it's ever changing and you need to be one step ahead of the game, ALWAYS. You need a curious mind and are not afraid to study all the time through reading, self studying, workshops, formal classes, learning from peers, formal certification, etc.

This is not a field in which to get comfortable and settle down.

Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
I heard that good Comp Sci majors can make like 80k starting out. Is that what SE make or programmers?
A good major itself will not fetch you a good salary. To fetch a good salary you not only need a good GPA (3.5 minimum from a good university), but also strong school work and internships from reputable companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities