Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,915 times

Advertisements

I am a 16 year old junior from Northern Philly and am really considering going to college in Florida. I absolutely hate cold weather and vacation to Florida at least once a year and absolutely love it. I toured UCF and UF, and plan to tour FSU and USF this summer. I liked UF a lot, but UCF not so much. I want to go for accounting. But my main issue is just meeting all new people and being so far away from home alone. I plan to join a sorority so maybe that would help? But i don't want to have good friends and then when I graduate move hundreds of miles away from them. Please offer me your advice! Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:23 PM

26 posts, read 40,759 times
Can you afford out of state tuition? If you can then by all means go if you get accepted. You can always keep in contact with friends via online or phone if you move away.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:28 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,602,722 times
No matter where you go, you are going to make new friends. It might be nice to be where you know a person or two, but the likelihood of actually having classes with them is remote. I went to school with several people from my high school, but quickly made new friends, on the floor of the dorm, sorority, band, etc...

Go where you feel that you will be successful.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:43 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,248,321 times
You want to move to Florida from Philly to attend school because you hate the cold, but then when you are done with school you plan to move somewhere else, even though you really love Florida?

You are worried about missing your friends and family, which will happen, but you do not want to risk making new friends because then you will only move away from them, too?

And just how do you plan on joining a sorority without making good friends with any of them? That is a part of the deal. You will hang out with them, a lot. If you seem distant or tell them that you do not want any close friends, they will kick you out. They don't have sororities for loners.

You have no idea what is going to happen. College, future friends, it is all up in the air.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:22 AM

467 posts, read 713,596 times
L o L, the whole point of sororities is to keep lifelong friends. The whole point of getting out of Philly to Florida is to escape the cold...............go to college where you feel you can get the most out of what you want to do..I'm thinking that that's common knowledge.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:00 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
Nearly everyone is going to be making new friends and nearly everyone is going to move hundreds of miles away when they graduate. That's life.

Old 12-24-2010, 06:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,022,277 times
I went 38 hours away (by Greyhound) to college. I'd never before been even half that far from home, and I was Aspergers, on top of it. It was great. It was the best decision of my life.

I was a lousy student, and never graduated, but it was still a great education---iin those two years, I completely re-found or re-invented myself.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:51 AM

7,778 posts, read 10,172,710 times
Merry Xmas! I am from Florida and went to UF. You shouldn't have any problem making friends at any of the schools. If all other things are equal, go to UF if you can for accounting or most other general liberal arts majors.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:30 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,949,601 times
Do it.

I grew up in California and went to college on the east coast. I loved every minute of it. The only real negative was not being able to go home for Thanksgiving and such (plane tickets were too expensive for such a short trip).

The downside is that upon graduation, a degree from a Florida university will only carry weight in that region. My degree is great in the mid-atlantic (and I got a really well paying job right out of school with it), but it would mean nothing if I had wanted to go to New England or Texas or back to California after school. Now that I have 3-4 years of work experience, my degree doesn't mean as much any more and I have more mobility again.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:38 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,912,531 times
Even if you stayed in Philadelphia for college, you would make new friends when you go to college. And you would likely lose touch with a few high school friends too. And when you graduate from college, wherever you go, you will lose touch with a few of your college friends and make new ones too. That's just the way life is. It isn't about geography per se--you can remain friends with someone on the other side of the world--but simply that you will change and they will change and that's the way life is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities