Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:21 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times

Advertisements

I don't think I can attend regular classes next year. My work schedule will interfere too much. The school offers both English Comp II and College Algebra online. How hard could it be? I just finished an Introduction to Biology class this fall, and I received an A. It was hard, so I expect at least the Math will be even harder. Have any of you done it ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 12:00 AM

143 posts, read 377,898 times
Is college algebra the algebra taught at high school? Or is it a type of advanced mathematics taught to math majors? I had a math major friend who mentioned studying algebra, but it was some form of linear algebra, and was taught about six levels above my multi variable calc class.

High school algebra II was not too bad. If you have access to professor's office hours or math TA's, I think it's doable. I was an engineer, so I can't speak for English classes. I took the version required from the school of engineering. It wasn't bad either. However, most of my friends were required to participate in class discussions. I'm assuming your english comp class will not. I think it will be doable if that is the case.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:33 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,940,556 times
I took an online precalc class this summer just to make up some pre-reqs I was missing. I breezed through it (I'm a math lover), but I could see a few things being very difficult. First, there was little ability to ask questions. I could send an email, but it was sometimes days before I got an answer. Second, there's no immediate feedback. If I did a problem, I had no idea if I did it correctly or not until I mailed it in, waited a couple weeks, and got it back. Your school may have a better system (this was just the local community college).

I ended up just buying a cheapy used textbook at a book store for $5, and re-learning it all myself. I stopped watching the instructional videos she posted after week 2, because I was frustrated with not being able to ask clarifying points. It was easier for me to just study the book myself and figure it out.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
If you struggled in your math and English classes, online learning is not for you at this time.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:00 PM

12,103 posts, read 23,259,223 times
No way I could do a math class on line. I needed to be in the chair and getting help from the prof everyday. If you have strong math skills, you should be okay. If you don't, you will be in trouble.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
If you struggled in your math and English classes, online learning is not for you at this time.

Well, struggled because I had very little time to study. I still received B's. In the one Biology class I did online I received an A.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,898,095 times
A lot depends on your school's online format. In my experience, the quality schools that offer online courses actually demand more of their online students than their physical-campus students. For example, you may have to submit assignments AND participate in online discussions, as well as document your online presence almost every day of the week. They do this to ensure that online students aren't procrastinating or just putting in minimal effort. But the point is, the online classes were harder, not easier! And although it's true you could 'attend' class in the middle of the night, it still required considerable juggling to balance work and school.

If you've needed tutoring in similar subjects in the past, I don't think online courses would be a good idea.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:41 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well, struggled because I had very little time to study. I still received B's. In the one Biology class I did online I received an A.
Course content depends on the instructor/course set-up. In addition to traditional seated courses, I teach internet-based Medical Terminology I/II and Law and Ethics. These courses require weekly opinion papers or pathophysiology/treatment papers for the system under study, homework assignments from the text and my own repository, discussion board interaction weekly, submission of voice recordings, tests, and a final exam. If you have "...very little time to study.", internet-based classes don't magically create more time; in fact, they require more time. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Course content depends on the instructor/course set-up. In addition to traditional seated courses, I teach internet-based Medical Terminology I/II and Law and Ethics. These courses require weekly opinion papers or pathophysiology/treatment papers for the system under study, homework assignments from the text and my own repository, discussion board interaction weekly, submission of voice recordings, tests, and a final exam. If you have "...very little time to study.", internet-based classes don't magically create more time; in fact, they require more time. Good luck to you whatever you decide.
It may require more time but at least I can set my own time. For instance, I work between 9 am and 6 pm one day, 1 pm and 10 pm another day and my schedule differs every week; I never work the same schedule from week to week.
When I did the Bio. class online we had to participate in online discussion boards once a week and had weekly quizzes once a week. We also had 2 tests, one mid term and one final, that counted for 80 percent of our grade. Those tests were closed notes, done on campus. I scored in the mid 90s on all my tests. The weekly quizzes were open books,but it did not make things much easier.
It was like I said, hard, but I remember my adviser telling me not to do the internet biology, because it would be too hard on me. I guess I proved him wrong.
On Monday I am going in to register for classes. If they have descent hours centered on my days off, I will take campus over on-line.
Oh, and as far as tutoring goes, the school I attend offers tutoring to all their students, regardless if you choose online or traditional classes. I never had to use it but I know it exists. I also found several free math tutoring classes held by school professors on you-tube that I actually used last semester. They are great.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,152 times
I have taken English Comp online. It was not too bad at all. The course is not one I enjoy much, but online was better for me in that I could read and do assignments on my own schedule.
I haven't done college algebra online though. Math is a subject that for me I prefer to do in person to have the advantage of being able to ask questions, and have more in depth explanations right at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities