Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,857 times

Advertisements

I would appreciate a little guidance. Originally from the UK, now living in the US for a number of years. I went to University in the UK, but unfortunately due a number of reasons, I never quite completed by degree, but ended up graduating with the equivalent of an associates degree. I always struggled to keep up my grades, and eventually I found out - albeit a little too late, that I have ADD, and I never got the skills to maneuverer around this condition in order to get the most out of my learning.

Fast forward several years, and I've actually managed to land myself some decent jobs, and everyone I work with likes my work and my work ethic. I've managed to make some great professional relationships, and my LinkedIn profile is flowing with good reviews.

My high school never had a career counselor, and I've never met with one, so I'm lucky to have chosen the right profession and I'm satisfied with that.

Armed with information about my learning disability, I think that with the right guidance I could make a good stab at finishing an undergraduate degree, and eventually go on to get a masters, which is what I really want to do. How do I start to do this, and where do I turn? I fear of contacting my local universities admissions department and being laughed (figuratively speaking) out of the office after explaining that I once tried to start a degree and never fully completed it, as well as my less than stellar grades...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 03:50 AM

682 posts, read 2,421,927 times
I wouldn't be worried about the admissions office judging you. Most universities want to admit as many students as they can reasonably handle, especially state schools. You are not the only person to leave school only to return at a later date. It's very common, as are mediocre grades.

The university you're interested in should have a Disability Resource/Support Center of some kind. ADD/ADHD is usually a qualifying disability that will allow you to get accommodations and support during your academic career.

Go for it, you have nothing to lose. You will probably experience far less ego bruising than you think, but filling out all that paperwork might be a little painful.

Old 01-21-2011, 06:05 AM

2 posts, read 3,857 times
Thank you so much. I'm going to contact them Monday and make a go for it.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:09 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,254,405 times
Admissions isn't going to laugh at you. Make sure the school has tutoring programs and a disability resources center.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:28 PM

78 posts, read 225,430 times
Midwest - I think you will find that you will do much better in college now that you are older...and wiser. Keep in mind, it is not where you start but where you finish! So what, if you started school then quit, went to work, and now want to return. You are not alone!! I will briefly share my experience...I hope it provides motivation.

I went to college out of high school (barely graduated high school) and droped out within the first year after horrible grades. I worked for a year and then went back to school part time while working. I continued to dropped classes, did not go a semester here and there, etc., etc.

So, at the age of 22, while working full time during the day, I went to college at night. I had already wasted 4 years. So, I started all over. Repeasted classes that I did horrible in, and continued on to the required courses. It took me 6 years to get my AA degree, since I was only taking 1 or 2 classes at night. Anyway, I finally got serious around age 25 and received my AA degree at 28. I transferred to Univ of So Cal and graduated with a BS at 30. I immediately went on to law school and finished at 33. It was weird sitting in class when I was 28 and others were 19. But my age and previous experience was a distinct advantage...and the professors respected what I was doing as well.

I was a far better student after having some real "life" experience. I took my education seriously and treated as a second job; I did not just go through the motions. I think when you go back you will find many others just like you trying to make a better life for themselves. Just keep going and do not quit. I assure you, no one will laugh nor have issues with your grades. Study hard, stay focused the best way you can and you will succeed. Good luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities