U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,344 times

Advertisements

I cant decide what to go to college for. I wanna be passionate about my work. Not just show up at a job and am having trouble finding something to go to college for. Should i go to college at all?? Totally lost. Ppl say to take those assessment test. And i've taken a couple. But still dont come up with anything that lights a fire under my a** Is everybody like this? Nobody really passionate about what they do except rich ppl who can take all the schooling in the world?? I'm 24. 25 this fall. I've been working in deadend customer service jobs and just want my real life to start. any suggestions on sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 06:01 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,471,059 times
What do you really like to do?

Old 02-17-2011, 08:07 PM

98 posts, read 382,204 times
I didn't figure out what I wanted to do for my career until I was 30. For all practical purposes, I didn't get started on my BS degree until I was 32. Finished it at 35. I'm now 40 and wrapped up my Masters in 2010.

So, on one hand, I wouldn't worry so much about the fact that you don't know what you want to do for the rest of your life.

I too was working a dead-end customer service job when I was 24. I had no real determination to finish school, and so only did a couple of semesters by that age before dropping out. I was broke, had no idea what to study, no clue how to get a better job, or what kind of job would interest me.

Now, in my case, to help jump-start my future, I quit that dead-end job, and at 24 I packed up my backpack, bought a ticket to South Korea, took a few hundred dollars with me to help me get by for a few weeks, moved into a youth hostel and set about looking for work as an English teacher. Had a job within a couple of days, found an apartment in about a month, and ultimately stayed about 3 years. In short, I turned in that dead-end go-nowhere job for 3 years of self-discovery, adventure, making new friends, and becoming a very good public speaker.

Came back to the states at 27, more mature and ready for new opportunities in the US.

Now I am a professional, I make just shy of 200k a year, and think to myself, "Thank God I didn't waste my time in school at age 24, before I had a clue what I wanted to do with my life. Thank God I waited until I had direction and maturity so to do school when it made sense for me.

Don't feel that you have to go to school now just because that seems the traditional path people take. But don't stay at that dead-end job, either!

Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 PM

874 posts, read 1,520,354 times
College is important if you want to make more money and retire early. If you have the money and know exactly what you want to be, then go to college and get a degree. That's pretty much what college is for. You can say it's "a couple of years of wasting time and not learning anything so you can get a piece of entitlement that assures you a better job than working without a degree". But in the long run, I doubt you want to do the jobs that don't gaurantee promotions and leave you with less money than what you're capable of.

Old 02-18-2011, 05:24 AM

7,196 posts, read 4,868,520 times
If you were to volunteer for something, what would it be? Mentoring a child, feeding the homeless, writing up brochures for a non-profit organization, cleaning up a park? If you have trouble coming up with something, think about what you would do in your spare time if you suddenly inherited a few million dollars. Sitting around on the beach would get old eventually. Once the novelty wore off, what would you do with your days? Think about these answers, and go from there.

You might not need to go to college at all. Lots of people start their own businesses or work within their interests without a college degree. You might need technical training or some other type of further education, though. Try to avoid getting saddled with student loans... I know people my own age (mid-30s) who still owe on their college loans; some of them don't even have well-paying jobs right now. A college degree does NOT guarantee promotions, a high income or even a job at all, so spend your money cautiously in this respect.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:29 AM

11,076 posts, read 19,970,234 times
I have several thoughts:

1) You don't have to go to college now. Some people simply aren't ready for college at 18.

2) Unless you want to be a science major, you can take a year to decide what you want to major in because you can spend your first year at college just taking Gen Ed classes.

3) A lot of people out there have jobs that are not related to their major, but it was their college degree that let them get their foot in the door somewhere.

4) You can change jobs and get another degree or get an MA/MS later in life. No one expects you to make a career out of the first job you get after college.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 PM

326 posts, read 767,121 times
you cant go wrong with nursing

Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 PM

9,396 posts, read 14,721,272 times
What things do you enjoy? What are your hobbies?

I'm looking at two possible majors right now. One is Information Systems and the other is Criminology & Criminal Justice. IS interests me because I've always been into technology and computing, but I don't have the chops for engineering (although IS is no cakewalk, it's a different kind of studying than engineering). CCJS interests me because I've always wanted to help others, I guess I'd either join the military as an officer or end up working for federal law enforcement with that.

Either way, the kind of job I'd like to have would be something in the intelligence community, or homeland security.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:09 AM

37,424 posts, read 66,992,607 times
There's no law that says you have to go to college at a specific time, or earn your degree within a specific time frame.

What about your current job vexes you? Start there. What don't you want to do?

What are you good at? What do you like to do?

Is there any type of job within your current company that intrigues you, or that you think you can do better than the person doing it now (always a good motivator)? What additional education/training would it take to do that job?

Don't give up; keep thinking and tossing ideas about. You'll come up with something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty223 View Post
College is important if you want to make more money and retire early.
Don't I wish ...

Old 02-24-2011, 08:33 AM

5,730 posts, read 9,384,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNspurs View Post
I cant decide what to go to college for. I wanna be passionate about my work. Not just show up at a job and am having trouble finding something to go to college for. Should i go to college at all?? Totally lost. Ppl say to take those assessment test. And i've taken a couple. But still dont come up with anything that lights a fire under my a** Is everybody like this? Nobody really passionate about what they do except rich ppl who can take all the schooling in the world?? I'm 24. 25 this fall. I've been working in deadend customer service jobs and just want my real life to start. any suggestions on sorting this out would be greatly appreciated.

Your first 2 years are pretty much the 13th and 14th grades.

If you know what you want you can get started, but if you knock out the histories, math, sciences, and social sciences...

Even if you go back later (As I am doing) it can GREATELY help.

Honestly I wish I had more of the 'general studies' classes done back before I dropped out to enlist. (Don't regret doing it, just wish I didn't have so many 'worthless' classes left.)

IF you can get scholarships etc. get started on grades 13 and 14 now.

That might give you the time to decide what you want to do.

OR, if you decide to go back to school (It had been 6 years for me)
It'll make your 'sentence' MUCH shorter.

As I said, if you avoid debt to do it, you have little to loose.
-And at the minimum putting 'Some college' should help you with job applications. (I'm taking classes as I can afford them etc. makes you look like someone who cares and wants to better himself)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities