Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2007, 12:23 PM

786 posts, read 4,735,342 times

Advertisements

As a professional Trainer and Human Resources person, I am shocked at the number of people who do not want to attend any type of educational training programs. At my company we bring in many excellent trainers who offer programs during the lunch or during the working day. We like to bribe the employee into attending by offering prizes and free food. I think the programs are interesting, thought provoking and helpful to the type of work most of our people do at the company. If they attend the classes a certificate is given to their boss, and it is indicated in their personnel file and performance appraisals. ------------- Even then few people want to attend!!

I talk to many people and they tell me they have not attended a class or educational program since high school or college. They are quite happy with this and are not at all interested in continuing education.

Have you attended any type of class or eduacational program since high school or college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 08:24 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,395,602 times
As a training and performance professional, I am shocked to hear that too. I haven't found that to be my experience, but perhaps that's because most of the companies I've worked with have been in more technical fields such as telecom, semiconductors, medical labs, etc. I know that for most technical employees, if they don't take courses frequently or upgrade their knowledge and skills, they will experience more difficulty finding their next job--and most of the technical employees I work with are aware of this. And given the work environment and marketplace in this year 2007, employees always need to think about 'the next job.'

On another note... If I was interviewing someone for a position on my staff and learned that they had no desire to take another course beyond high school or their undergraduate degree, I wouldn't hire that person. Who would hire someone with such a lack of intellectual curiosity (except perhaps for the most boring mundane jobs)? I don't care if someone is taking a course in business, ceramics or jujitsu... the idea that they have a desire to learn something new will speak volumes in their favor.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:25 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,481,036 times
I LOVE taking any kind of class or training program, but I am not typical. Most of my co-workers hate hate hate it. They don't want to learn anything new. They don't want to make an effort or they think they know everything already.

You should see what happens when they *have* to learn something because a software program changed or they upgraded something. It's sheer anger. They're mad.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:35 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,059,919 times
A few years ago when the technical job market was good, we were always pursuing the next, new, hot, certification. We collected them like baseball cards. Now, not so much. For a while the techies joked that 1/2 the truckers on the road were Cisco Certified!

But I'm still always going to school or taking a class for something.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,385 times
Thumbs down I am going to study Medicine in China..

Hi

I got Admission in a top ranking medical university in china taught in English ......
I got admitted through this consultant Universities and Schools in China offering English medium medical, engineering and other traditional courses.
If anyone has any suggesstions pls contact us...................

Old 08-13-2007, 01:30 PM

800 posts, read 4,300,205 times
Gosh, I love school so much that I could be a professional student LOL.

After college, I changed careers. Instead of law school, I went to massage therapy school. I worked in the field for 5-6 years and then, I switched to life coaching. I am constantly taking classes and enjoying my continuing education.

I know some workplaces require continuing education as do some professions. Teachers have to take classes, for example in some states. In my husband's company, it is required to take some classes now and then.

I'm all for it

Old 08-13-2007, 06:42 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,350,310 times
It is required for me to keep my professional licensure, but regardless, I can't imagine not ever taking a class.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM

43,721 posts, read 44,488,948 times
I took a long time ago (a few years after finishing college) a travel guide course and then some years later an EFL/ESL teaching certificate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities