Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 09:31 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,771,030 times

Advertisements

That's really awesome! A friend of a friend did the same thing in her 50's. Her kids were grown and gone. Husband had passed away. She wanted a new life. Now in her 60's, she's in her own practice and living her dream. There is hope even for us old folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,598,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
He's actually not uncommon. Obviously most student bodies skew toward youngsters, but almost every class has a few people who are older. Your buddy will have the benefit of 20 years of experience living, so some of the things that are "like, OMG" to his classmates, will probably be nothing to him. If anything, he probably has an advantage.
Most of those older people you see in college classes are working already in the field, and they think that (true or not) a B.S., M.S., or a Ph.D. will move them up the food chain. From personal anecdotal encounters, older folks getting in college at the ripe age of 40+ to get a better job/career (just 2 data points), are missing quite a few marbles or otherwise troubled to make it too far.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:02 PM
(-) (-) started this thread

690 posts, read 1,867,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Most of those older people you see in college classes are working already in the field, and they think that (true or not) a B.S., M.S., or a Ph.D. will move them up the food chain. From personal anecdotal encounters, older folks getting in college at the ripe age of 40+ to get a better job/career (just 2 data points), are missing quite a few marbles or otherwise troubled to make it too far.
i wasn't going to say anything but this is your second negative reply in this thread. seems like you have an axe to grind or something, i don't know.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:26 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,818,681 times
Congratulations for being, at the same time, humble and courageous, and deciding to come back to school at any age.

It is never too late to study, what other people think does not matter more than one's will to learn and advance when it comes to education. One is only as old as one feels. I hope I can learn something new until the last day I live!

Again, my sincerest congratulations!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,704,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
it's pretty much why i cringe when i hear people who are only 25 and 30 years old act as if there lives are over. it's the beauty of America.

don't ever let anyone tell you what you can't do!

I congratulate your buddy. He will be nearly 50 or 60 when he is done with school and ready to be a surgeon. I guess he could be a regular doctor too.

25 to 30 is my generation. When you hear and see your entire life "you are too young" and then we age and hear "you are too old." This is why we are like this. The generation between the two boomer generations.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,598,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
i wasn't going to say anything but this is your second negative reply in this thread. seems like you have an axe to grind or something, i don't know.
Is this thread some kind of a feel good, motivational Prozac for the people clinging to the last straw of their? dreams? No, it's never too late, 45, 55, 65, 95, opportunities are abundant, just go for it. With little bit of positive attitude and $30k in student loans you can move mountains.

Reality is not negative, reality is just that, reality.

So, let's refresh on "reality":
a) Most "non traditional" an euphemism for "old" students are enrolled in the programs (part time) that further their existing careers. To put it bluntly they just need to muddle through with a 2.5 GPA, earn a diploma and "collect" prearranged rewards, be it promotion, keeping a job, or a fatter paycheck.

b) your brain is not getting any better with age. Even though older students efforts are commendable from personal development&perseverance standpoint (and may even keep dementia at bay for a year or two longer), whom are you trying to kid? Only a few truly extraordinary older folks can keep up with younger brains. And you really think that in the age of the disposables HR managers will bet on you being a late blooming Einstein?

c) Why it's hard to accept age limitations for so many? Yup, many (if not all) things in this life are age specific, no amount of positive attitude will change that.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,252,850 times
Smile Someone I knew

This man was already a medical doctor but worked for others. Had a good life. Lost it all to a schemer who was a friend of his sons. Had to start over at 62.

He is one of the most sought after doctors - he went out on his own and built up a practice. His and wife moved into a small home. It has now been 20 years. They are just amazing people, he and his wife.

You would never, ever know they are 82 and 80. The nicest couple.

So, you never know what people have to go through to get somewhere. I applaud the guy who entered college after the military and then got accepted to medical school. Do you know how hard it is to go against the grain?

Not everyone wants to work for a big corporation. Some of us would rather be self employed and work for ourselves.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:37 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,213,689 times
Quote:
I did a quick NPV calculation. I compared two scenarios. Base assumptions: You are 42 years old and will retire when you are 65. I will assume 0 living expenses in both scenarios to keep things even for the sake of the math.

1. You make $80,000/yr now and take out 240,000 in loans to invest over the next four years (the cost of medical school). You get an 8% return on the investment and you get a 2% raise every year. The Net Present Value of this scenario is $1,727,739

2. You go to medical school. You take out $240,000 in loans over four years, make $50,000/yr for each year in a five year residency, and after that make $350,000 / yr until you retire at 65 years old. You gain 2% raises along the way, and you take from the moment you graduate medical school until the day you retire to pay off the loans. Given this scenario, your net present value is $4,024,264.

Basically, an average 42 year old going to medical school, they will make 132% more because of that decision than if they stayed in their current job, given the generic conditions i listed above.

I think you must be missing quite a few marbles NOT to go back.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Is this thread some kind of a feel good, motivational Prozac for the people clinging to the last straw of their? dreams? No, it's never too late, 45, 55, 65, 95, opportunities are abundant, just go for it. With little bit of positive attitude and $30k in student loans you can move mountains.

Reality is not negative, reality is just that, reality.

"reality" is a matter of perception. your reality and my reality are, apparently, two totally different things.

So, let's refresh on "reality":
a) Most "non traditional" an euphemism for "old" students are enrolled in the programs (part time) that further their existing careers. To put it bluntly they just need to muddle through with a 2.5 GPA, earn a diploma and "collect" prearranged rewards, be it promotion, keeping a job, or a fatter paycheck.

evidence?

b) your brain is not getting any better with age. Even though older students efforts are commendable from personal development&perseverance standpoint (and may even keep dementia at bay for a year or two longer), whom are you trying to kid? Only a few truly extraordinary older folks can keep up with younger brains. And you really think that in the age of the disposables HR managers will bet on you being a late blooming Einstein?

if this were true, we'd start graduate school at 5 and graduate from kindergarten at 33.

c) Why it's hard to accept age limitations for so many? Yup, many (if not all) things in this life are age specific, no amount of positive attitude will change that.
if you want to limit yourself, make your own post, and put limitations on folks who agree with your "reality". this isn't that post.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I did a quick NPV calculation. I compared two scenarios. Base assumptions: You are 42 years old and will retire when you are 65. I will assume 0 living expenses in both scenarios to keep things even for the sake of the math.

1. You make $80,000/yr now and take out 240,000 in loans to invest over the next four years (the cost of medical school). You get an 8% return on the investment and you get a 2% raise every year. The Net Present Value of this scenario is $1,727,739

2. You go to medical school. You take out $240,000 in loans over four years, make $50,000/yr for each year in a five year residency, and after that make $350,000 / yr until you retire at 65 years old. You gain 2% raises along the way, and you take from the moment you graduate medical school until the day you retire to pay off the loans. Given this scenario, your net present value is $4,024,264.

Basically, an average 42 year old going to medical school, they will make 132% more because of that decision than if they stayed in their current job, given the generic conditions i listed above.

I think you must be missing quite a few marbles NOT to go back.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities