Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:59 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,931,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
My girlfriend (who is in medical school) has several classmates in their 40's.

I really don't think your statement is true.
I'll stand by my statement; I also have 30 years of experience in healthcare..

A medical school applicant approaching 40 had better consult with an admissions director before spending money, applying to schools, etc. He/she had also better be a truly outstanding candidate, because there are too many reasons to pass him over in favor of a younger candidate who can offer 15-20 more years of service to the practice of medicine.

Just to be clear: I'm talking only about medical school, not about nursing, physicians' assistants, etc.

Optomism is wonderful, but it serves no purpose to encourage older candidates to spend thousands of dollars and possibly several years of taking prerequisite science courses if they have only a marginal chance of getting in.
Medical school is not law school, or an MBA program, either of which can be done part-time and whose admissions standards can be much lower than medicals school. Simply put, you have to be OUTSTANDING to get into medical school, and not just in a scholastic way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:02 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,410,209 times
We had a 51 year old recently divorced woman in our med school class.
She was a hell of a student, too.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:24 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,704,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-) View Post
that would be age discrimination and it would lead to massive lawsuits. this isn't anecdotal, it's a fact.
Per the goofy, Age Discrimination in Employment Act, is a fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/age.html
  • Apprenticeship Programs
    It is generally unlawful for apprenticeship programs, including joint labor-management apprenticeship programs, to discriminate on the basis of an individual’s age. Age limitations in apprenticeship programs are valid only if they fall within certain specific exceptions under the ADEA or if the EEOC grants a specific exemption.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:43 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,447,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I think this thread is a virtual chapter of Ostrich Positive Attitude Adjustment Institute. No, no, it's never too late, you can have anything at any age - family, kids, education, job of your choice, hobby, real friends, etc. no limits at all, just have at it. No, you don't have to drop dead at 50 y.o., however 50 y.o. should not pretend to be 20 y.o.. If people lived for this long and can't embrace life in its entirety, including age limitations and mortality, then I guess you can pretend to be an energizer bunny, if that makes you feel better. The thirst for feel good stuff is partially due to the misery & isolation that old age brings with it in good old USA, but it's not old age fault. In more "backward" societies older people are integral part of real "community", they don't need to play 20 y.o. before being locked up in nursing homes to die.
So where do those who think like you live in the US?

I would sincerely love to move in the area.

No "1 million times" rep button - but I can say it.
So there.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:53 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,314,952 times
Good for him! I see a lot of older people in med school too - I think the oldest person I saw had a head of white hair and is in their 50s or 60s (wonder how long they can practice?). In my starting class there was a woman in her early 40s, and several men in their late 30s. It's definitely never too late. People always complain that med school is trying to limit the number of people who get in but that is not true at all. You just have to work super hard and be qualified to begin with (i.e. not having spent the last 10-20 years of your life putzing around before you suddenly decided to apply).

Old 04-22-2011, 05:34 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,213,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I'll stand by my statement; I also have 30 years of experience in healthcare..

A medical school applicant approaching 40 had better consult with an admissions director before spending money, applying to schools, etc. He/she had also better be a truly outstanding candidate, because there are too many reasons to pass him over in favor of a younger candidate who can offer 15-20 more years of service to the practice of medicine.

Just to be clear: I'm talking only about medical school, not about nursing, physicians' assistants, etc.

Optomism is wonderful, but it serves no purpose to encourage older candidates to spend thousands of dollars and possibly several years of taking prerequisite science courses if they have only a marginal chance of getting in.
Medical school is not law school, or an MBA program, either of which can be done part-time and whose admissions standards can be much lower than medicals school. Simply put, you have to be OUTSTANDING to get into medical school, and not just in a scholastic way.
Obviously age discrimination can happen anywhere, but does that mean an older person should just throw in the towel?

Some jobs have hiring managers who discriminate by race and gender and only hire white males. Following your logic, you wouldn't even try to apply for that job if you weren't a white male.

Just because a degree of discrimination happens doesn't mean you roll over and give up.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:21 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,940,064 times
Good for your friend! I wish him the best.

It seems people are assuming people only go back to school to increase earnings. Not so. When I flew, I worked with quite a few middle age and up pilots who were new. They had switched out of lucrative careers that they were burned out on or stressed out by to pursue their passion. Despite taking huge paycuts they were happy they made the change. There is more to one's occupation than just making as much money as possible.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:24 PM

262 posts, read 651,850 times
Awesome. It's always admiring to hear news such as this. Very inspirational as well as motivational for those who feel that they have, what they feel, deficiencies which could interfere with their dreams.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:57 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,872,138 times
Ouch... 42 years old... that's 4 years of medical school so he will be 46 on graduation with about 160k in student loans unless he got money or a working spouse to offset that... then at least 3 years of residency assuming primary care and no subspecialization... he will be 49 years old... I hope he has money to pay off those debts... I would hate to be straddled with 200k of new debt at 50 years of age...

Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM

153 posts, read 637,721 times
Well, he'll be 50 anyway! Might as well be in a career you feel passionately about. You'll only really regret the things in life you did NOT do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities