Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,274,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
If someone has no work experience, what should they expect?
In today's economy, having relevant experience while in college is a MUST. There are too many people competing for too few jobs and somebody who graduates without any relevant work experience will pretty much be left out in the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 02:13 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,483,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
In today's economy, having relevant experience while in college is a MUST. There are too many people competing for too few jobs and somebody who graduates without any relevant work experience will pretty much be left out in the cold.
I've tried to get relevant work experience.

And some people tell me any job looks good to employers, whether it's relevant or not. But some people say experience only matters if it's relevant.

Regardless, I have no work experience.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I've tried to get relevant work experience.

And some people tell me any job looks good to employers, whether it's relevant or not. But some people say experience only matters if it's relevant.

Regardless, I have no work experience.
What is your field? Some job field's are more experience-driven than others.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:13 PM

Quote:
What is your field? Some job field's are more experience-driven than others.
I'm a geography major. And like I said, I've tried to get relevant (and irrelevant) experience. But there are only so many relevant jobs for students. There's no way every student can get relevant work experience during college. If you're not one of the lucky students, what are you supposed to do?

Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
I'm a geography major. And like I said, I've tried to get relevant (and irrelevant) experience. But there are only so many relevant jobs for students. There's no way every student can get relevant work experience during college. If you're not one of the lucky students, what are you supposed to do?
One thing you could do is delay your graduation until the economy recovers or go to grad school. Many people who were to graduate in 2008 and 2009 ended up delaying their graduation or going on to grad school. There isn't much worse for one's career and future prospects than graduating into a recession. Research shows those who graduate into a recession (the lucky ones) who are able to maintain their chosen careers still end up making far less than their peers who graduate into economic growth.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
One thing you could do is delay your graduation until the economy recovers or go to grad school. Many people who were to graduate in 2008 and 2009 ended up delaying their graduation or going on to grad school. There isn't much worse for one's career and future prospects than graduating into a recession. Research shows those who graduate into a recession (the lucky ones) who are able to maintain their chosen careers still end up making far less than their peers who graduate into economic growth.
I'm set to graduate in Fall 2012. Hopefully the economy will be better by then. The economy is better now than it was in 09.

I'd like to graduate ASAP. My parents are supporting me so I would feel selfish if I purposely delayed my graduation. My scholarship runs out after 4 years and after that, my parents would need to pay out of state tuition (which is way more expensive). Grad school costs money too, and I don't want to go to grad school.

If I graduate into a recession and don't get a job, I'd likely move back in with my parents, so they would support me anyway. But at least they wouldn't need to pay tuition on top of supporting me.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:09 PM

15,878 posts, read 21,481,434 times
I expected to make $40,000+, ended up with $35,000. Double majored in international environmental policy and political science with minors in Latin American studies and environmental studies and live in Boston. I had 3 internships plus two part time office jobs (that lead to my current job in higher ed administration), extensive experience abroad, near-fluency in Spanish, and some technical skills (GIS, programming, advanced excel and database skills).

Living in New England with a serious disease (cancer) means I'm not making enough to pay the bills.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,554,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
I expect to make enough to...

1) Live in a 2,500 square foot middle-class home in the suburbs OR 1,200 square foot mid-luxury condo in the city
2) Buy a new middle-class SUV (e.g. BMW X5, GMC Suburban) as well as a nice muscle car for the weekends
3) Eat at middle-class restaurants 2 - 3 nights out of the week
4) Have a middle-class smartphone, cable / satellite, and internet package/s
5) Take middle-class vacations 4 weeks out of the year

...with my B.A. in Dance History (with a minor in Gender Studies).

I know someone who does #5.

Also, ITT(in this thread), people about to graduate regurgitate the high expectations and hopes people have fed them, and their professors and others laugh offline.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:39 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,554,621 times
Quote:
I'm set to graduate in Fall 2012. Hopefully the economy will be better by then. The economy is better now than it was in 09.

I'd like to graduate ASAP. My parents are supporting me so I would feel selfish if I purposely delayed my graduation. My scholarship runs out after 4 years and after that, my parents would need to pay out of state tuition (which is way more expensive). Grad school costs money too, and I don't want to go to grad school.

If I graduate into a recession and don't get a job, I'd likely move back in with my parents, so they would support me anyway. But at least they wouldn't need to pay tuition on top of supporting me.

lol, I'm going into the Navy as a non officer, yes I have a degree. Do you know why? They say it will take 4 more years for the job market and real estate markets to recover.

I'm not going officer because apparently near Ivy league credentials are needed.

But, give it your best shot anyways. I did for 4 years.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:57 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,997,888 times
Somewhere between 25k to 40k for IT (web design) at entry level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities