Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:39 PM

815 posts, read 3,000,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtby View Post
I wouldn't give her the degree, but who am I other than an ISU professor?
Why wouldn't you?

Who cares how long it takes. She wouldn't be able to do it any other way with her family and such. Instead of one class per semester it would have been nothing. Its not like she was majoring in computer science which would have been a world different from the beginning to the end. Accounting hasn't changed that much in the last couple of decades.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 04:46 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
MES, Iowa -- In 1992, a gallon of gas cost $1.13, Bill Clinton won the presidential election and Kathy Vitzthum took her first class at Iowa State University.

Vitzthum has taken about one class each and every semester since. For 40 semesters. Since Miley Cyrus was born. Since Charles and Diana split up. Since Ross Perot pulled out his charts and pointer on TV. Since the World Wide Web was in its infancy (and text only).

Iowa State University senior will graduate after taking one class per semester for 19 years | www.news.iastate.edu

It took me from 1973 to 1990 to get my degree, but I went off and on. I changed majors four times and lost more than 60 credits transferring, but I finally did it. The first class I took in 1973 was $18 a credit hour. In 1983 it was $33 a credit hour. I'm glad I graduated when I did, I couldn't afford the prices these days.

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-05-2011, 06:16 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times
If age becomes a factor, I'll continue working out as well.
Seeing as many kids in college seem to fall into the path of booze and club-hopping along the way, they'll age well before I do.

Also, plenty of "math anxiety" threads in this sub-forum.
Like my earlier response here, this sort of story could give someone a little boost in the confidence department.

A little OT, but if one ends up having kids at a young age, one best step on it.
The way I still see it, a college education is a somewhat surefire way to ensure you remain in a career position to help your children grow properly.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,704 times
On one hand, good for her. That's way more commitment than I have - I'm halfway through a part-time MBA and getting annoyed and want to be done already and didn't spend nearly this amount of time.

On the other, I'm surprised her credits didn't expire. A lot of schools DO put caps on the amount of time you can spend on a bachelor's degree (8-10 years is usually the max) not only because of accreditation but because things change so quickly. Think of how many classes have dramatically changed in content in 19 years. Computer and science classes probably changed the most because of technology but business classes have changed a lot too. The article mentioned the first classes she took were in accounting but 19 years ago there weren't SOX regulations to deal with on top of GAAP.

I'm really surprised that nothing seems to have "expired" in terms of credits for her - my MBA program wouldn't accept any course older than five years old, even for pre-reqs such as a stats class to meet the stats pre-req and insisted that I take and pass an online module or retake stats somewhere.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,835,038 times
Is it true that degrees themselves expire after a certain number of years?

Old 05-06-2011, 01:48 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,148,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
The way I still see it, a college education is a somewhat surefire way to ensure you remain in a career position to help your children grow properly.
Dear God. Does *everything* in the friggin' universe have to do with a child for crissakes?

How about going to college forever because YOU WANT TO!

20yrsinBranson

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 PM

415 posts, read 449,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Is it true that degrees themselves expire after a certain number of years?
Yes, every degree has an expiration date printed on it. Right bottom corner, that's where you usually find it. College degrees usually expire after a couple of years after graduation.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:14 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,109,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Dear God. Does *everything* in the friggin' universe have to do with a child for crissakes?

How about going to college forever because YOU WANT TO!

20yrsinBranson
That's usually the excuse I get from people who said they went to school for a few years, then inexplicably stopped.
But I'm not going to carry this portion of the argument on any further.

Let's all repeat to ourselves that this thread is about the amazing feat of one woman taking her sweet time to finish a degree because she just doesn't care what anyone else thinks.

Not, "Oh, bentslimebag hates children!! He's worse than Hitler!!"

Old 05-08-2011, 11:30 AM

374 posts, read 759,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallbanger View Post
Yes, every degree has an expiration date printed on it. Right bottom corner, that's where you usually find it. College degrees usually expire after a couple of years after graduation.
Oh no!! That means I have to go back to school again?!?!?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities