Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:34 PM

11,240 posts, read 11,015,248 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, quick question for all....

What is the benefit of going for a second Bachelor's degree instead of continuing on with a Masters program in a field of study different from your undergraduate work?

Is there anybody out there with two Bachelors degrees that could tell me why they chose that route verses continuing on with graduate work.

Just curious. Thanks to all who reply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Biggest obstacle for a second bachelor's degree may be financial aid. There's a limit to how many credits you can earn with financial aid in undergrad. You may want to verify this on the FAFSA site.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeet09 View Post
Biggest obstacle for a second bachelor's degree may be financial aid. There's a limit to how many credits you can earn with financial aid in undergrad. You may want to verify this on the FAFSA site.
I was thinking that as well. My main point of interest, though, is what the benefit of two Bachelor's degrees is over having a Masters. To me it seems a little redundant. People do it though, which makes me wonder what the benefits are.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,116,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
I was thinking that as well. My main point of interest, though, is what the benefit of two Bachelor's degrees is over having a Masters. To me it seems a little redundant. People do it though, which makes me wonder what the benefits are.
One program that comes to mind when folks do a second bachelor's degree is nursing. I don't think there's many Masters in Nursing programs out there without having a bachelor's in nursing first so if someone wants to switch careers, they will do a second bachelor's degree in nursing. The program is much shorter though and looks something like this: AACN - Media - Accelerated Programs Fact Sheet

Old 05-03-2011, 03:08 PM

986 posts, read 1,665,632 times
If you are interested in changing fields, sometimes it's easier to research a master's program, find out what undergraduate coursework you're missing, and then complete the courses (at a community college/state school) without getting a second bachelor's degree to go on to master's level work. This will often keep your costs down.

As other posters have mentioned, you may run out of financial aid options obtaining a second bachelor's degree.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,772,612 times
I can't really see any benefit to getting a 2nd BA/BS as opposed to a Master's....graduate school credits are often cheaper (depending on the field), and there is financial aid available for many Master's programs as well, along with fierce competition of course. Agreed with a previous poster that fin aid for credits will run out around ~150.

Unless you're going into a specific professional field - I think someone mentioned Nursing as an example - not sure how a benefit would help you over a master's.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM

Thank's for all the responses so far everyone.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
I would get a Master's as opposed to another Bachelor's unless you are thinking about switching to something completely unrelated and need to. Like grneyedmustang said, you can still change fields with a Master's, and it shows dedication and that you can do more with one IMO.

Old 05-04-2011, 12:51 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,477 times
On the topic...does anyone know which schools in CA offer a second bachelors?
I know most of the UC's don't...but what about the Cal States?

Old 05-04-2011, 01:06 AM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
I would think the only worthwhile way to earn two bachelor degrees is to do them at the same time (double major). I ended up doing that, when I wanted the second major (I was close enough to finish the first one, so I did). I would just go for the masters if you can, a second degree doesn't make much difference outside of impressing random people that you had a double major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities