Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,712,921 times

Advertisements

Ph.D. s are very poorly paid. Graduate Schools are full of Foreign students or those american students who have benefit of minority fellowships. students are hired for Ph.D.s not on merit but on the opportunity of not paying them money. Many Indian/chinese/korean are working on partial salaries on the mercy of american professors. lot of politics and frustration in graduate school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 09:05 PM

615 posts, read 1,379,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
If you have three master's degrees and still can't get a decent job, I wonder about your choice of subjects and ability to network/be political/kiss butt when necessary. To succeed as a PhD you really need those skills more than a good GPA.

It's all about research. If you can't do good enough research to choose the right PhD program, then you probably won't succeed as a PhD student anyway.
I have an M.A. in Geography, an M.S. in Civil Engineering, and an MBA. My undergraduate degree was in Computer Science. My potential area of research will be in geographic information systems (G.I.S.), applied to water resources or energy development.

I have been seeking a career in G.I.S. for many years, but I have been unable to secure such a job due to lack of experience in the field. I am determined to get that experience.

I have been networking, networking, networking. It is my goal to earn a Ph.D. to culminate my academic career doing research in a field I truly enjoy.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM

615 posts, read 1,379,501 times
Default I am not foreign. I am an American citizen living in the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Iassume you have current school debt, I would be working a graveyard shift to get that paid off.

Have you considered the military? They have an uncanny way of getting folks on track, (and paying off SOME school debt, potentially ALL)
I am too old for the military. I am trying to find as much work as possible, and I would consider working a graveyard shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loloroj View Post
Why the USA? You better rethink this one VERY carefully. If you're coming here because somehow you think it's some kind of haven for the gleaming Ivory Tower, you better get sober real quick. You might be picked up primarily due to the fact that foreign GS are willing to work for very little. I've heard WAY too many sob stories from foreign students who get here and find that all their illusions were shattered when they ran into situations where they couldn't afford to live on what they were getting paid.

Moreover you better do a whole lot more research into what is happening with NSF/NIH grants, and what is taking place with research money. Too many tenured profs, which is suppose to indicate some kind of expertise in the field, can't find research money, and the ones that do find some are getting less than in years past. Point is that if research money is being cut, then the need for PH.d's is far less than ever before. And if so, then the need for PH.d candidates is as well. If you're thinking that the US is the place for you to get big money for science, then I would suggest you are poorly informed regarding what's going on here.

I don't know you, but from perceived sentiment of the OP, you may be laboring under some bad thinking. As one other poster wrote, figure out what's going on in the real world regarding whatever field it is you want to study before you make the jump to come over here. We really don't need any more foreign students getting our tax money simply because TPTB don't want to pay US grad students a higher salary...
I am not foreign. I am an American citizen living in the USA.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:53 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,531,214 times
Ridiculous question.. how do all the Chinese and Indian students do it considering they're not eligible for loans?

Find some of these people, ask around, and copy their model.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Ridiculous question.. how do all the Chinese and Indian students do it considering they're not eligible for loans?

Find some of these people, ask around, and copy their model.
They do science/engineering, where the students get paid.

As for science PhDs, it's not as doom and gloom and some here are portraying. Bio and chemistry seem to churn out huge numbers of PhDs and there simply aren't enough jobs for all of them. The same problem hit physics decades ago when everyone wanted to do high energy and there just wasn't enough need for all those PhDs.

OTOH, if one goes into some sort of applied science, industry is always an option, and pays much much better than academia or government. The jobs are also easier to get as there are many more of them.

The science PhDs I know who aren't making good money are those who are either committed to a particular research track (e.g. thin film photovoltaics as opposed to anything in semiconductor physics), or those who are unwilling to relocate for a good job.

Last edited by i7pXFLbhE3gq; 02-12-2012 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities