Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times

Advertisements

I'm not going to get too long winded, I'll give the cliff notes version of my points. I live in SC, the starting pay for a teacher with a bachelors is around 27K. Depending on where I would go to school, I could pay as much as 27k a year for my education, or more (Furman), thus leaving me hundreds of thousand of dollars in debt, which will take me decades to repay because the field pays so poorly. But it's not just education, almost all fields pay much less then it took to earn a degree in said field. So how is it logical to pay so much money with such a poor return on my investment? College is illogical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
That is a very logical conclusion..

Old 05-17-2011, 10:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
There was a time when High School was sufficient for most moderately attentive students to learn enough to put together a far better indictment of the current system than your paragraph does.

The prospect of possibly achieving that ability might be reason enough to go.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:37 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
I'm not going to get too long winded, I'll give the cliff notes version of my points. I live in SC, the starting pay for a teacher with a bachelors is around 27K. Depending on where I would go to school, I could pay as much as 27k a year for my education, or more (Furman), thus leaving me hundreds of thousand of dollars in debt, which will take me decades to repay because the field pays so poorly. But it's not just education, almost all fields pay much less then it took to earn a degree in said field. So how is it logical to pay so much money with such a poor return on my investment? College is illogical.
Why would you pay 27K a YEAR for college? When you can go to a state school and pay < 10K a year?

Its only a bad ROR if you choose a poor major and go to an overpriced private school with low job placement.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:19 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Here's my reason...

The fact of the matter is our culture is too focused on the commoditization of every facet of our lives.

College... knowelge... is therefore only considered to be of value if it translates into monetary gain.

The funny thing about that is that money itself is a lie, perpetrated on the people and traping them into a system that requires ever-increasing levels of consumption to perpetuate itself. It's an unnatural and completely retarded system.

Going to college with that basic assumption virtually assures a failed college experience, becasuse each course taken ends up being just another seemingly endless burning hoop to jump through, suffering in the short term to get past finals and hurry on to the next hoop until the last one has been cleared.

A real experience is supposed to be an experience, not a means to an end, and like most experiences, the person having the experiences will determine how much they get out of it. If you finish college and feel like you only have a piece of paper to show for it, it's because you spent your college journey focused only on the endpoint and failed to pay attention to the journey.

Last edited by Chango; 05-17-2011 at 11:32 AM..

Old 05-17-2011, 11:25 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Why would you pay 27K a YEAR for college? When you can go to a state school and pay < 10K a year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Depending on where I would go to school, I could pay as much as 27k a year for my education,
As much as..or the max but not the only choice. As you mentioned state is a choice too.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:44 AM

3,085 posts, read 7,250,798 times
Ok here is my question for the OP. Was all this information hidden from you? If not, how is it a scam?

A philosophy degree has virtually zero return but i'm sure this major still fills up. Why? *shrugs*

Old 05-17-2011, 11:46 AM

27,347 posts, read 27,400,159 times
Cant really say its a scam but I personally know several people who have degrees, certs, diplomas, and all, many who still cant find a job, not in this economy, no one wants to pay top dollar right now. Some were online courses, some they physically went to a college. Not saying no one is hire-able, just stating what Im seeing from my end.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:48 AM

624 posts, read 1,247,664 times
Learn a skill. I am retiring as a high school teacher in one month, I would not advise getting into the teaching field. As a young teacher, you will probably get the worst school, the worst classroom and the lowest performing kids who have to pass state tests or you will be deemed a poor instructor. There is a bill in the PA House to not only publish the NCLB state PSSA test scores as they do now, but to publish them by class, and with the teacher's name.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:16 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post

Its only a bad ROR if you choose a poor major and go to an overpriced private school with low job placement.

All fair points. Ok, lets say that I do go to a state school and only pay 10k a year, and come out getting a job that starts at 27 k. I am already 13k in debt before I even begin my career. Then if I want a "move up" I need to go to grad school, incurring more debt, yet still earning the same paltry salary. How is that logical?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities