U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 08:28 AM

521 posts, read 412,196 times

Advertisements

I'm in the 2nd semester of school as a Computer Science major and my friend who's an Accounting/Finance major is having a hard time and feels that his major is much more difficult than my major, but for some reason I doubt it. Computer Science majors IMO have to take much more difficult classes. I have to take a ton of Calculus and some Physics and Chemistry classes in my curriculum

Has anyone here majored in both?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:36 AM

58,896 posts, read 46,107,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
I'm in the 2nd semester of school as a Computer Science major and my friend who's an Accounting/Finance major is having a hard time and feels that his major is much more difficult than my major, but for some reason I doubt it. Computer Science majors IMO have to take much more difficult classes. I have to take a ton of Calculus and some Physics and Chemistry classes in my curriculum

Has anyone here majored in both?
It's going to depend upon the person, the schools they are attending....even in the same college the differences in difficulty between majors can be striking.

Personally, I doubt their major is harder but it might be harder for THEM than CS is for you given your background education and personal gifts.

I could go back to school and stroll through some degrees given my knowledge but something like oh....Russian or Biology would be a lot harder for me.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:42 AM

37,407 posts, read 46,074,760 times
Kind of an apples and oranges thing, IMO.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:52 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,756,253 times
The school I am planning to go to for CS. Does not require me to take any physics or chemistry courses than what I already have. Is that a good thing? They do require a minor in mathematics with the CS degree. But they told me physics and chemistry classes were not required.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:15 AM

521 posts, read 412,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
The school I am planning to go to for CS. Does not require me to take any physics or chemistry courses than what I already have. Is that a good thing? They do require a minor in mathematics with the CS degree. But they told me physics and chemistry classes were not required.
At my school I have to take 12 credits of Natural Sciences and the choices are: Biology (Anatomy & Physiology I & II), Physics 209-210, or Chemistry I & II

I think they want us to be well rounded scientists

Old 05-23-2011, 10:22 AM

191 posts, read 876,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-boy-80 View Post
Unless you plan on going into any career that would NEED physics, like computer graphics, 3D modeling, etc. you won't need it.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:29 AM

6,862 posts, read 12,725,023 times
CS is more fun but harder than Accounting.. I've taken classes in both in my college and graduate education (BS in Engineering, MS in Finance.) If you have no genuine interest in either but just want to learn something to make some money, pick Accounting.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:24 PM

1,420 posts, read 2,246,060 times
When I thought I wanted to do accounting I took some classes and it bored me to tears. I wouldnt say its hard at all. I thought computer science isnt a good major to get into anymore. If you want a career in computers then IT is the way to go.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:44 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,001,159 times
Depends on the person. What are your current skills like? What are your interests? People think these questions are a yes or no, but works best is thinking about yourself and your own situation. Also, don't be afraid of a challenge, you might do better than you think!

Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,959,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
At my school I have to take 12 credits of Natural Sciences and the choices are: Biology (Anatomy & Physiology I & II), Physics 209-210, or Chemistry I & II

I think they want us to be well rounded scientists
You really don't get to be called a scientist until you get a PhD, and even then you could only be called a Junior Scientist. Currently all a BS does for you is give you a little bit more than a technician level.

There are exceptions but you have to be extra-ordinarily lucky, and you have to work your tail off, and you need to be in the right place at the right time.

My son was doing an internship at a prestigious European research facility, where he was mostly handing people tools and getting coffee, since all he had then was a BS, and they all were either working on their dissertations or many years past that. At a meeting, they were commenting on certain figures that they had gotten in a certain experiment. My son, in a lull said, "That's what I got too". They turned in unison and said, "That's what YOU got?????" And without missing a beat, he said. ".... well, I noticed that you guys(and gal) are all plugging all these numbers slowly into your sci calcs, so I wrote an excel program to do it all for me, and it came up with the same answer as you." After that, everyone used his excel program, and he was given a number of research projects just like the rest of the pre-docs and post docs in the facility. He left the facility representing the lab at European conferences, and with several papers published in Physical Review, even before he actually started his PhD program.

But this is very very lucky, and out of reach for most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities