Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 04:18 PM

249 posts, read 882,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I've been going back and forth the last 5 years about going back to school. It would take me 2 years to get the certificate I want to get. Wish I'd just done it back then and I'd be done, but I didn't. Have to take a statistics class as a prerequiste for the program I want to finish. Since my last math class was 30 years ago (college algebra - I got an A in the class according to my transcript but I don't remember a thing about it), I thought I should retake college algebra to refresh my memory before taking statistics (college algebra is a prerequisite for statistics). About the second week in college algebra I realized I was in way over my head and I dropped the course. I was lost. And I was surprised that I was so stupid. Math was never my best subject, but I obviously was able 30 years ago to get through the class with an A. I got 100% on the first assignment and then the second was properties and radicals and even going over and over the online explanations of how to work out the problems I just didn't understand it.

Since I've already taken college algebra the school actually would let me enroll directly in statistics but I'm afraid I'd be in over my head, although I have heard people say you don't even use algebra in statistics and that statistics is much easier than algebra. I feel like I have no foundation at all in math anymore, though. I can add, subtract and divide.

I'm wondering if I should start at the very lowest math class and work my way, or start with elementary algebra, or intermediate algebra? Or if I should just take the statistics class and hope for the best? Or give up my idea of going back to school (I make decent money already, have my own business - for 19 years - but with techology advancing there is a chance the need for my business will be phased out in the not too distant future; have not been able to raise my prices all these years and now have even had to lower prices). I go back and forth with this, thinking if I just paid off all my debt (about $170,000 total, including house), then even if the industry/my business failed it would be okay because I wouldn't have to make a lot of money to get by. But then if it failed and I was had the certificate and was able to move into a different, but related, job, I would have the potential to make more money. But I'm 54 now and not getting any younger.
I just recentlt took a Stats clas and there was some algebra but not enough to freak you out and you could get a turoe if you need help. Just bite the bullet and take the class and you will be fine. There is just a lot of concepts to remember. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 08:04 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Best bet, go look at the syllabus of the course. Most colleges will have a basic course description and a more detailed course syllabus for you to look at. I suggest you go in person to ask.

Aside from that there will be summations, probabilities and a few other things you learned in college algebra which you will be expected to know how to do but if it is an introductory level stats class it should be pretty easy.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Take this test:

48÷2(9+3) = ???

If you say 288, consider going into statistics or engineering.

If you say 2, consider sales or music or art.

Old 07-30-2011, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 32,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I took and passed stats without having taken algebra.
Wait so college algebra isn't a required prereq to take statistics? I'm majoring in psychology undergrad and statistics is pretty much the only required math course, I hate math and if I can evade alg and just have to take the one statistics course and be done with it then that would be wonderful

Old 08-01-2011, 07:30 AM

632 posts, read 1,179,790 times
I'm taking a Business Statistics course right now (and its hard as hell!) and the pre-requisites were Finite Math, Business Calculus, and MIS. Having a good understanding of College Algebra is critical IMO, but it all comes down to who your professor is and how they teach the course.

A professor can make or break you, if they are good at teaching and can present concepts without confusing you, you should do fine.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:05 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
I took Biostatistics before people were using software programs for it. I absolutely could not do algebra in high school and couldn't do the equations stuff in chemistry (and this was "chemistry for nurses!"). It's the only time in my life I actually knocked myself out and still only got a D in chemistry. I was able to work my way through Biostats and got a B+, although I only remember something like "n< or some such.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 PM

1 posts, read 30,688 times
I'm not Good in Math AT ALL, ppl say Statistics is better for me because its not math and bedsides its all done on computer, and I'm good with computers, it's just learning excel program. So I'm asking, is Statistics better then intermediate Algebra?

Old 01-01-2013, 09:50 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,355 times
It was easier than calculus. I think I got a B....and if I can remember correctly we called it sadistics...

Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
Statistics for social sciences does not require a lot of algebra. Basically high school math is sufficient.
Statistics for science and engineering majors requires calculus and linear algebra.
Statistics for math and some computer science programs requires real analysis, such as measure theory, Hilbert space, functional analysis.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:59 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
https://www.khanacademy.org/

If you are rusty on ANY math I highly suggest the free Khan Academy. Check it out, do some classes and don't worry- GO BACK TO SCHOOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities