Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM

1,090 posts, read 3,173,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyslp View Post
I strongly suggest you follow your interests. While you are temping, it is an opportunity to explore different fields and you can zero in on whatever you like. A degree in math and science is fine if that is easiest for you to get. You can and should get more than 45k. Yes, there are people with degrees who are making very little, but if you are working in a fniancial company where the bulk of your work consists of phones, travel, and expenses - 45k is way under budget.

HR is a field that has taken quite a hit, but it is interesting work. An HR assistant role can be very diverse - from mundane work to getting involved in recruiting. If you like HR, the certification will help a bit. I don't think you want to get a college degree to file and smile all day . If you're going back to school to try to get a job, you want something substantive and that will pay you more than 45k. My admin job paid 45k in 2001 and I had no degree. How much work experience do you have?

So what degree do you suggest? I'm just going with that degree because these admin jobs just want you to have ANY degree and that's the quickest one for me. I can finish by winter. All others will take me at least an extra 1/2-1 year..and you know the saying time is money .

I technically have 7 years of experience (I'm going on 26) with professional positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 12:58 PM

285 posts, read 870,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
So what degree do you suggest? I'm just going with that degree because these admin jobs just want you to have ANY degree and that's the quickest one for me. I can finish by winter. All others will take me at least an extra 1/2-1 year..and you know the saying time is money .

I technically have 7 years of experience (I'm going on 26) with professional positions.

You will not regret going back to school, no matter where you end up.
Some options you might consider are:
  • CUNY's online degree in Communication & Culture (it is a multidisciplinary degree that could apply to business, hr, admin work, grad work for teaching, communications/writing, administration, etc.)
  • CUNY's online degree in Business - could be used in a variety of environments
  • NYC is home to some large, esteemed hospitals and university medical centers like Columbia, NYU, MSK, Cornell-Weill, etc. Since you have an educational background in nursing and interest in admin, you could look into admin jobs in those types of institutions - there is usually a tuition reimbursement benefit and there are jobs that require a bachelor's degree or an apporpriate combination of education and experience (write a good cover letter that explains how interested you are in medicine, which is why you pursued a nursing degree, but then discovered that you love administration and would like to apply your experience to this type of role, blah blah blah)
  • SUNY Empire State College lets you get a BA or BS in a concentration area, classes are all online or a combination of online/in-person - it is cheap and it is SUNY plus classes are 4 credits each
  • for HR, any of the degree programs I mentioned would work fine - the certification, I think, would help
  • Organizational management is offered in a lot of schools and it also works well in a variety of environments
I didn't realize you had so much work experience. While you are mulling over degree programs, don't immediately pass over jobs that say they require an undergraduate degree; sometimes people just write that in a job description automatically. Of course, there are some that absolutely require a degree but not all. You can try to build on your associate's degree and previous experience, and tailor each cover letter to the job you are looking for to highlight that combination of exerience and education.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
You will not regret going back to school, no matter where you end up.

Some options you might consider are:
  • CUNY's online degree in Communication & Culture (it is a multidisciplinary degree that could apply to business, hr, admin work, grad work for teaching, communications/writing, administration, etc.)
  • CUNY's online degree in Business - could be used in a variety of environments
  • NYC is home to some large, esteemed hospitals and university medical centers like Columbia, NYU, MSK, Cornell-Weill, etc. Since you have an educational background in nursing and interest in admin, you could look into admin jobs in those types of institutions - there is usually a tuition reimbursement benefit and there are jobs that require a bachelor's degree or an apporpriate combination of education and experience (write a good cover letter that explains how interested you are in medicine, which is why you pursued a nursing degree, but then discovered that you love administration and would like to apply your experience to this type of role, blah blah blah)
  • SUNY Empire State College lets you get a BA or BS in a concentration area, classes are all online or a combination of online/in-person - it is cheap and it is SUNY plus classes are 4 credits each
  • for HR, any of the degree programs I mentioned would work fine - the certification, I think, would help
  • Organizational management is offered in a lot of schools and it also works well in a variety of environments
I didn't realize you had so much work experience. While you are mulling over degree programs, don't immediately pass over jobs that say they require an undergraduate degree; sometimes people just write that in a job description automatically. Of course, there are some that absolutely require a degree but not all. You can try to build on your associate's degree and previous experience, and tailor each cover letter to the job you are looking for to highlight that combination of exerience and education.

All awesome options which I have explored. The only drawback is that, of my 80.5 previous credits, I don't believe CUNY would accept all of mine. Some are nursing credits, etc.

I was just accepted to a bordering state college that accepted 75 of my 80.5 credits and they used my nursing credits as free electives, which helped me out. I doubt CUNY would accept that many transfer credits of mine. I guess I can ask. Also not sure if it's as quick and affordable as my current place. It's a state college in NE, but I'm completing online.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
All awesome options which I have explored. The only drawback is that, of my 80.5 previous credits, I don't believe CUNY would accept all of mine. Some are nursing credits, etc.

I was just accepted to a bordering state college that accepted 75 of my 80.5 credits and they used my nursing credits as free electives, which helped me out. I doubt CUNY would accept that many transfer credits of mine. I guess I can ask. Also not sure if it's as quick and affordable as my current place. It's a state college in NE, but I'm completing online.

Sounds good to me. Unless you are entering certain fields like the sciences (speech therapy/nursing/OT), architecture, and the like, there are a number of fields that would enable you get the credential that you need. If they are flexible and taking your credits, go with it. If you are intersted in HR, then get that credential as well.

Old 06-21-2011, 01:32 PM

Just contacted CUNY about that B.A. They said a minimum of 30 credits of mine would need to be completed through them. It would take much longer and about be 3k more expensive than the route I'm taking now. At least I checked it out though!

Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Just contacted CUNY about that B.A. They said a minimum of 30 credits of mine would need to be completed through them. It would take much longer and about be 3k more expensive than the route I'm taking now. At least I checked it out though!

Most schools have a minimum residency requirement of at least 25% of your degree. CUNY degrees are the standard 120 credits, so the last 30 must be completed through CUNY. Does your school not have something like this?

Old 06-21-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Most schools have a minimum residency requirement of at least 25% of your degree. CUNY degrees are the standard 120 credits, so the last 30 must be completed through CUNY. Does your school not have something like this?
No, they don't In exchange, I pay a pretty steep enrollment fee. That's where they catch ya. They gotta make their money somehow . The enrollment fee and me being able to test out of most of my classes or take them through cheaper venues is still more affordable and much quicker than completing at CUNY. That's why I'm sticking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities