Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 10:25 PM

155 posts, read 291,749 times

Advertisements

Stick with your program...nothing wrong with an online degree. An employer who doesn't recognize the changing tide (i.e. online degrees in higher education) and wants to disregard these graduates will be left high and dry with respect to qualified employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 05:35 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
As many have said you might as well finish. You will have a hard time up against people who went to schools that had an entrance requirement. It's pretty much what a AA grad has to deal with.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:03 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
Stick with your program...nothing wrong with an online degree. An employer who doesn't recognize the changing tide (i.e. online degrees in higher education) and wants to disregard these graduates will be left high and dry with respect to qualified employees.
There is no shortage of potential employees from REAL schools that are accredited, have entrance requirements and a track record of producing quality graduates...

There is no "changing tide", adequate numbers of candidates graduate from brick and mortar schools every year....

All else being equal, 2 candidates apply for the same position, one graduated from UVA/Vanderbilt/BC/(fill in the blank) the other "graduated" from DeVry/Strayer/UofP/(fill in the blank).....the candidate from the brick and mortar school is going to get the position 99 out of 100 times....

Old 06-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
There is no shortage of potential employees from REAL schools that are accredited, have entrance requirements and a track record of producing quality graduates...

There is no "changing tide", adequate numbers of candidates graduate from brick and mortar schools every year....

All else being equal, 2 candidates apply for the same position, one graduated from UVA/Vanderbilt/BC/(fill in the blank) the other "graduated" from DeVry/Strayer/UofP/(fill in the blank).....the candidate from the brick and mortar school is going to get the position 99 out of 100 times....
You have no idea what you are talking about...higher education is changing rapidly...brick n mortars are a thing of the past. Online education is the future. If you don't believe me, which I know you don't, check out a book by Anya Kamenetz on the future of Higher Education.

Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,227,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katet View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about...higher education is changing rapidly...brick n mortars are a thing of the past. Online education is the future. If you don't believe me, which I know you don't, check out a book by Anya Kamenetz on the future of Higher Education.
No...I'm absolutely positive YOU have no idea what you are talking about....

And if you really believe a Strayer/deVry/UofP "graduate" would stand even a snowball's chance in hell against a graduate from one of those "archaic" brick and mortar schools you are kidding yourself...

Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,719 times
Quote:

And if you really believe a Strayer/deVry/UofP "graduate" would stand even a snowball's chance in hell against a graduate from one of those "archaic" brick and mortar schools you are kidding yourself...
I don't understand this argument. The terms "online degree" and "brick and mortar schools" are not mutually exclusive (which means that there are brick and mortar schools that offer online degrees).

Old 06-25-2011, 08:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
Also, chances are your credits wouldn't transfer anyway. Like, none of them.
Why wouldn't they?

Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Why wouldn't they?
Many programs that are of any quality at real schools will only give you some credit. My sibling just this year had a couple people in her program that only had a couple classes out of many accepted that they took from UoP for a graduate program.

It's one thing to get your bachelors from one of these schools. If you have masters and PHD hopes at real schools you are going to have a hard time. If you get your PHD at one of these schools you'll have to work in the for-profit industry for anyone to take it seriously.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:20 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
The big thing to look for in online schools is whether they are accredited or not. A school which is not accredited is simply a diploma mill grinding out worthless degrees. In my part of the world (Colorado and surrounding states) you want to look for colleges which are accredited by North Central Association. Many legitimate colleges and universities do offer accredited online courses of study or will allow you to take some of your classes online before finishing up on an actual campus.

A legitimate school will have admission standards that prospective students must meet before being accepted into a degree program. At the undergraduate level, this usually means a high school grade point of at least 3.0 (B average) and satisfactory scores on the SAT's (Scholastic Aptitude Tests). Prospective graduate students are normally required to submit scores on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination), have a very good to excellent grade point in their major, and letters of reference from at least 3 people qualified to judge the applicant's academic ability.

A school which admits every applicant who has a warm body, advertizes all over TV and the Internet, calls you at home or work entreating you to enroll, and charges a whopping tuition regardless of whether you are an in state or out of state student is highly suspect. Places like the University of Phoenix make their money off the guaranteed student loans offered by the government.

They are not concerned with the quality of education they offer, nor are they very concerned if their graduates find work in their field of study. Remember that these schools get their money regardless because THEIR tuition payments are guaranteed by Uncle Sugar. Meanwhile, the recipients of the questionable degrees these outfits hand out must pay back the government for their "education" and end up saddled with debt they cannot repay.

People who think there is no difference between a degree from the University of Phoenix and one from an accredited University whether state or private are in for a rude awakening. The US still has some of the most excellent institutions of higher education in the world. Those who believe that "brick and mortar" schools are obsolete are sadly misinformed.

Anyone considering signing up for an online degree would be well advised to check out the school thoroughly. Find out if it's accredited. Ask professionals in your prospective field of study about the online school you are considering. Would they hire someone with a degree from that institution? Also, check with any professional associations or certification boards that may set the criteria for acceptance as a professional in good standing in your desired occupation. A little preliminary homework may save you a ton of grief and money down the road.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:

Do you work in higher education? If so, where? What gives you the credibility to criticize online degrees?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities