Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,640,851 times

Advertisements

Kaplan, or princeton review..what has anyone used and is it easier to study online or just read the book...for some reason the books seem more detailed, its more costly online...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 02:05 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,455,420 times
What have you scored on practice tests? Are we talking the 140's here? The LSAT is very easy to study for and you don't need to take a prep course. Just get a bunch of old LSAT's and the Powerscore Bibles.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:24 PM

26 posts, read 56,358 times
The best materials to use are the actual LSAT test. You can find them on amazon. In addition, the Powerscore Bibles are the best as well. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2011, 04:51 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,598,257 times
You have to get the lsat practice tests separately, but this dvd is good for explaining the logic games:

Amazon.com: LSAT(r) Games Explained: Alex Marcus, William Sierra, Robert Nordvik: Movies & TV

Old 06-18-2011, 01:47 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,435,984 times
I second the Powerscore bibles. Also, go to the bookstore and get the booklet of LSAT tests. These are real tests from prior years. No need to take a class.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:35 AM

548 posts, read 1,220,741 times
I would take a pratice test under "real life" conditions. I think Kaplan and/or Princeton Review provide them occassionally free of charge. Then, once you get your score, consider how far it is from where you want to be. If you only need to improve your score by a few points to get your target score, then I would suggest buying a book with old practice tests and completing a full practice test once a week (timed) and carefully go over each of your answers (right or wrong) to make sure you understand why you got an answer right or wrong. You should end up doing fine.

If your practice score is far below what you were hoping for, then you might consider taking a class (I don't know if there is really a significant difference between the two companies -- both do a decent job). They can help you learn/develop good test-taking skills, etc. Hope this helps!

Old 06-20-2011, 12:34 AM

108 posts, read 182,244 times
A few notes, as I'm a gunner for law schools.

1. I suggest NOT taking courses. I don't think they're useful at all, and I think if you did some research you'd find that admission committees would agree. I believe Anna Ivey (the ex-Dean of Admissions at U of Chicago Law, 5th ranked law school) said something along those lines as well.
  2. Use the Powerscore Bibles (Logic Games and Logical Reasoning. Don't waste your time on Reading Comprehension. If you want something good for that, perhaps check out the Manhattan series, but in all honesty, just find a style that suits you and go with it.)
    • One not about Reading Comprehension. You should be aiming to finish reading the passages within 2-3 minute
  3. Only take ACTUAL tests (this means the following: '10 Actual, Official LSAT PrepTests', '10 More...', 'The Next 10...' as well as things like 'Official LSAT PrepTest 52'). That means things offered from LSAC. NEVER take fake tests provided by institutions like Kaplan. These are useless. They do not capture the intricacies or nuances of the actual tests and will not prepare you for the LSAT properly. Purchase ALL of these.
  4. The standard is roughly 3 months of prep. The first month is aimed at accuracy, the second month at speed, and third month is honing your skills with full-length prep tests. And, I would also suggest beginning with a diagnostic test. I believe LSAC has the June 2007 administration for free on their website that you can work with.
    • You're going to want to categorise the logic games into all the different types. For example, Linear reasoning, grouping games, etc, etc. Go to Top-Law-Schools and look at the different guides here, they will give you great guidance. I suggest starting with PithyPikes guide.
  5. Aim for a 180. I don't know what your GPA is, but you should always strive for the best score. Realistically, you should be looking at at least a 170 for top 14 schools (Yale through Georgetown/Texas).
If you don't know much about law schools, then you really ought to do a lot of research. I suggest only paying sticker at the t14. However, that gets a bit dicier once you get down to schools like Georgetown. Some will say you shouldn't even pay sticker outside of the top 6 schools (Yale, Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, NYU). Go to lawschoolnumber.com and play with the different graphs to get an idea of what LSAT/GPA combo you will need for the different schools. Remember that because of the USNWR rankings, this is largely a numbers game. Extracurriculars don't matter. Just get the numbers, write a solid personal statement and get solid letters of recommendations and you will be set (the only exceptions are Yale, Stanford, and to an extent Berkeley--they actually care about your soft factors, especially the first 2).

Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,422,813 times
The only part of the LSAT that stumped me was the logic puzzles. For that, Powerscore's Logic Games Bible was invaluable. For the rest, I just used official LSAT tests from the past for practice tests. That was enough to get the gist.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:11 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,640,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The only part of the LSAT that stumped me was the logic puzzles. For that, Powerscore's Logic Games Bible was invaluable. For the rest, I just used official LSAT tests from the past for practice tests. That was enough to get the gist.
Thanks...I had taken Princeton review Classes a few years ago-lol-900.00 to listen to a PhD talk about his college experience

The books are better imo...online i get too distracted...like on CD

Old 06-25-2011, 08:48 AM

604 posts, read 1,525,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Don't go. It is a scam. The test prep companies are a total rip off. Neither is better than the other.

I totally agree. You do not need a test prep course to do well on the LSAT. Just study your butt off and do the best you can do. Be careful in what school you select as well. Consider something low cost with a decent program.

I graduated Law School in 2007 and passed the bar. I am not going to name the school I attended for numerous reasons. I actually ended up doing pretty well. I make low six figures and have a cush gig working 4 days a week. However many law grads really struggle when they graduate.

My advice is not to go to law school. That is just my 2 cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities