Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 AM

66 posts, read 183,108 times

Advertisements

John23: I'm interested to know, if you had a 16yo son graduating next year what would you advise him to do? Assuming he's a 2.5, middle-of-the-pack type of student.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 09:06 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,902,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSavage View Post
John23: I'm interested to know, if you had a 16yo son graduating next year what would you advise him to do? Assuming he's a 2.5, middle-of-the-pack type of student.
That's a good question.

1st - Question everything you're told in school by teachers or administrators, counselors. The teachers I had in the 90's in highschool remembered a different era in the 60's and 70's.

2nd - Follow your interests, I'm a believer in that. Don't be dissuaded by peoples comments....i.e., community college is the 13th grade, don't go there.

3rd - If there's a lot of money involved, do some hard, hard research. Ivy leagues. Some of these law schools? Some of them are like rolling the dice at a craps table. In something like law, most of the money goes to the top 10-20% of students. And big law in NY or DC.

I'd say go to las vegas instead of one of these lower tier law schools No joke. Or start a business. You'd get some experience.

If he's 2.5, I'd try to get some tutoring, or something online to get his grades up. Like if US saxon math is pulling him down, show him singapore math? Something like that, that's a different approach. I dont know if I'd even have him in public school.

I think they've got blinders on in the 21st century. Where are some of these degrees going to get you in 30 years? I think a lot of the intellectual rewards are overrated in careers. I'd rather be certain financially for 10 or 20 years, than have this "intellectual reward"...this kind of idealism, helping the poor, serving the public, etc. Maybe just be a plumber.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:35 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,537,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Sorry, I'm not a fan of the NY Times. They're the equivilant of Ben Bernanke...i.e., there's "no inflation", economic growth will be maintained, we aim to have "price stability"....this detached elitism from what's happening on the ground.

1st - FACT. There have been no jobs created since 2000! Why do these articles always light over this fact or miss it? It's too painful and it blows a hole in this college myth. It also blows a hole in the myth that what's happened in the past will happen now. I.e., after recessions, hiring always picks up. Or, this always happens.

2nd - Costs have risen much faster than inflation for decades. Bringing up financial aid.....and saying, oh, it doesn't cost very much...that's like saying, this popcorn is $4.50. Here's a coupon for $2 off. So now you're paying $2.50. But your parents (baby boomers) paid 35 cents. And it costs 25 cents to make.

3rd - There's been massive dilution. Remedial classes, dumbing down of highschool, etc.

4th - The spigot has been opened worldwide in the last 20 years. More global competition.

5th - "The educated American masses helped create the American century". Not really. Maybe up until 1970. But after that, what's kept America afloat...the US Dollar standard, the kindness of strangers (foreigners lending money), credit, changes in cpi, employment, etc to keep the illusion of prosperity afloat, the rise of two income families, home equity lines of credit, etc.

6th- There was a much harder dividing line 30 or 40 years ago. You had highschool dropouts. Highschool grads. And "motivated" college students. The equivilant of the steps at the Olympic ceremonies...i.e., bronze is here, silver is a step up, gold is a step up. but now everyone is at the same level. If college is such a great payoff, then why do so many workers have to compete with so many people of varying income and education backgrounds?

7th- Ask anyone age 50-70 if they would get the same degree now, as they got 30 years ago. And ask them if they think the payoff prospects would be the same. This would be the real test. In many cases, the answer would be no.
It's simple now compared to 30 years ago. You have to make an educated choice when factoring in major and the cost. You can't simply go and get an art degree now and have 50k in loans.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:49 AM

1,245 posts, read 2,215,390 times
Laughable article. I guarantee you this author has never spent time unemployed with a need for any job and not being experienced enough for the relevant jobs and told he is overqualified and over-educated for jobs like a cashier. You'll be paid more? It is more along the lines of only getting such a stopgap job if you leave that degree off your application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities