Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 06:26 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
The fact of the matter is that most education in the future will be done online since its cheaper, easier and more convenient for the student. Classroom based education will be reserved for doing research or high level experiments.

Seems like the trend these days is put the degree online but don't lower the price, even though the cost to deliver an online education is significantly cheaper.

In the future to get a BA level college education will only cost 500-1000$. However, to get that done the major push is going to come from employers willing to accept those degrees.
Well it's all about entrance requirements. If a top 20 public can put in place an online program for lets say, elementary education, I doubt they'll be many problems with that person getting a job.

The issue with online is when requirements don't exist. Top schools that are pushing online education aren't going to be dropping standards.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:02 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,868,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Well it's all about entrance requirements. If a top 20 public can put in place an online program for lets say, elementary education, I doubt they'll be many problems with that person getting a job.

The issue with online is when requirements don't exist. Top schools that are pushing online education aren't going to be dropping standards.
That's assuming the employer finds out.

You don't need entrance requirements for an online school, just let everyone in who wants to learn. However, you have to make the courses and exams such that people who don't know the material don't pass the class. Of course there's going to be cheaters here and there but that will occur with any program. The solution to that issue is to have good due diligence on the employers part. Personally I would suggest employers using computer based exams to determine employment decisions. Many employers already have this but I am sure the usage will increase to cover all sorts of skills that will be required for the job.

The fact of the matter is that online education is going to be the future. There are going to be issues with it but those issues will be resolved and online education will be better than classroom based courses since its going to be cheaper, faster and eventually customized to the student's needs. Why take a 16 week biology course when you can learn the same material in 2-3 weeks?

Give it 5 years and online education will be main stream.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,522,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
That's assuming the employer finds out.

You don't need entrance requirements for an online school, just let everyone in who wants to learn. However, you have to make the courses and exams such that people who don't know the material don't pass the class. Of course there's going to be cheaters here and there but that will occur with any program. The solution to that issue is to have good due diligence on the employers part. Personally I would suggest employers using computer based exams to determine employment decisions. Many employers already have this but I am sure the usage will increase to cover all sorts of skills that will be required for the job.

The fact of the matter is that online education is going to be the future. There are going to be issues with it but those issues will be resolved and online education will be better than classroom based courses since its going to be cheaper, faster and eventually customized to the student's needs. Why take a 16 week biology course when you can learn the same material in 2-3 weeks?

Give it 5 years and online education will be main stream.
Top schools will not lower standards for their main programs. They won't have to either. The top 100 have plenty of demand and if you extend the reach of your program nationwide there are still a ton of qualified students to meet those high entrance requirements.

Who it will end up hurting is the tier 3 public schools and privates. For-profits with no entrance requirements really are targeting an entire different group of people.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:00 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,168,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I think online is the wave of the future. We live in a society where higher education must be more accessible, not reserved for those with the ideal circumstances. I earned my Master's in Computer Science online, and it was far more challenging and rewarding than I expected. Excellent experience that convinced me that accredited online programs are legit. I'm looking at a PhD program now.

I support online education.
I really don't see how you can get a legit online PhD. I mean a PhD is a research based degree. It is not very common that people do research in isolation. Even if collaboration takes place online most research requires labs, participants, expensive software, etc.

You sure as hell won't be getting stipends for online PhDs, which means you need to foot the bill. Everyone and their mother would tell you the monetary payoff of a PhD is not worth it if you have to foot the bill.

I just don't see it happening.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM

961 posts, read 2,026,736 times
You learn best through multiple sensory inputs and experiences. Listening to a professor can be the best summary of reading.

I hope the classroom/lecture component of college work remains.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:14 AM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
I think they should offer more online degrees and there are ways to do it. They could video conference entire classrooms. All you need is a webcam and internet connection. Time spent commuting from home or work, to classroom, could be spent studying. But I think teachers are reluctant because it reduces demand for teachers and cheating become easier.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:34 PM

450 posts, read 1,407,452 times
Many courses and majors are dependent on human interaction. How would students do a chemistry lab or engineering lab online? How would accounting students do an audit project to simulate the real world together online? How would public administration majors practice public speaking and oral presentations? How would foreign language majors practice speaking together?? Many classes are dependent on human interaction between classmates and with the professor. Online education DOES put up a wall, which is why many people in the workplace aren't anti-social, strange, or incompetent employees. They interview horrendously because they spent the last 2-4 years starring at a computer and not interacting with their material with real people.

Online education works in some ways, but 100% online education is not possible. Could you imagine Chemistry majors who had never done a lab???

Old 07-04-2011, 09:36 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Where did you get your masters? What area are you considering your PHD in? I've been going back and forth on getting my PHD.
I earned my MSCS here. (American Sentinel University). Employers didn't think twice about where I got it because I already had a great deal of experience in the field, and the area of law that I focused on (patent law) didn't care much where I earned that graduate degree. They just cared about what I knew. Once hired, I did the rest with my performance. The MSCS program was a tough one because of the work I put into it. The professors were excellent, challenging, and knowledgeable. I found myself communicating with them far more often than the professors at my undergraduate program from a B&M school. The program was simply very convenient for me considering my circumstances.

I have to admit though that because many people don't consider these schools legitimate, success after graduation depends on many factors: prior professional experience, area of expertise, your own knowledge and skills, area of the country, and so forth.

Considering a PhD in Applied Computer Science or similar to be done in conjunction with my own law practice.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:11 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
More people getting more degrees = more money.

The idea that everyone should have a degree is ridiculous, but profitable for schools.

When everyone has a degree, it won't be as valuable anymore.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 AM

68 posts, read 206,037 times
I have taken half of my classes online and half in person. This has been over the last 5 years at a public university in the US majoring in Accounting.

I can definitely see the benefits and downfalls of both options, but I think doing a mixture is really stimulating and challenging.

I wish college courses were still more hands on, rather than just reading a book and taking a quiz.

My favorite part of an online course is when we use actual accounting software or perform homework assignments that mimic a typical workplace. Learning how to perform actual work in your field within the college course needs to happen more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.