Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 09:49 PM

43 posts, read 78,860 times

Advertisements

What did those of you who applied to grad. programs use to factor your decision?

Finances, I'm hoping won't be an option.
Quality of the school is important, but so is the research areas of the faculty/department...
Location, location, location...

I'm going nuts! I'm between several clusters of schools... From Big Ten "Public Ivies" to little regional universities, even considering some in Canada.

I just need any kind of tips as I venture into the world of academia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 10:17 PM

286 posts, read 700,063 times
What is your field of study?

Old 06-30-2011, 10:29 PM

43 posts, read 78,860 times
Geography and urban planning. I'm applying to both programs with a strong urban geography link and M.U.P. programs which I could possibly apply to a Ph.D at a later date.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:44 AM

4,666 posts, read 5,099,670 times
You really might want to research this a little more...

I really think you need to check this blog out:
100 Reasons NOT to Go to Graduate School: Complete List to Date

Old 07-04-2011, 07:33 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,590,036 times
Your criteria should be something like this:
1 - cheapest (or will give you the most money)
balanced against:
2 - the graduates actually get jobs in the field
3 - there are professors who are respected in the field
4 - there are professors who are interested in helping you succeed (mentors)

If you plan to get a phd, then try to get the MA at the same place - you can save considerable money that way and there are other advantages as well. And before you do any of that, thoroughly research the job market and make sure urban planning phds are absolutely in demand.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 AM

5,342 posts, read 6,173,944 times
Here is the basic criteria I used. Helped me narrow it down to 9-10 programs.

1. Only applied to fully funded programs
2. Schools I had a realistic shot of getting into (looked at avg. GPAs, and test scores)
3. Research interests with faculty
4. Prestige of the program
5. Would I want to live their for the next 5-6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post

A lot of these really depend on the field.

For example...look at #3. in this list.

http://www.careerbuilder.com/Article...wing-Salaries/

That requires a PhD, or at the very least a masters. There are areas where getting a graduate degree pays off and some where it does not.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:19 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,918,416 times
In every field, there are subspecialities. Schools tend to specialize in one or another, usually based on their faculty's areas of expertise. And then there's culture. Every school is different. Some are steeped in traditional methods. Others are very cutting edge. Some are more lateral, others are very hierarchical. All of the funding in the world will not make up for a program that focuses on subjects you aren't interested in, or teaches in an environment that does not support your learning style or personality. You need to include these factors in your decision-making. Once you do it will probably be very easy to narrow down your options to a select few.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:29 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,941,773 times
Faculty fit. Student culture. Financial support. Job placement rate.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:29 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post

With a geo degree if he wants a "real" job and not just some contract position he really should go to grad school.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,753,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamplouno View Post
Geography and urban planning. I'm applying to both programs with a strong urban geography link and M.U.P. programs which I could possibly apply to a Ph.D at a later date.
Go to the best program you can get into for the least amount of money.

There are rankings out there especially for science grad programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities