U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:32 AM

11,091 posts, read 19,995,792 times

Advertisements

You are facing nothing but an uphill battle getting a job teaching history. I know a history teacher that was just laid off from a pretty good school system and can't find work. I also know a science teacher who said Special Ed is the cert to get if you actually want to get a teaching job. His school is down over 35% in science teachers and they aren't being replaced. Most people with BAs in History don't have jobs that have anything to do with history. You might want to consider expanding your job search to retail management training positions, which typically require a degree of any type.

If you need to, get two jobs.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. I know a guy with a master's degree who is stocking shelves at a grocery store.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM

9 posts, read 13,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
A good axiom for life in general is to do what you are best at and finish what you start and so....

1. Finish the certification.
2. Work at whatever you need to do to be fiscally stable for the time being.
3. Do not lose sight of the end goal.
4. Prepare/plan now for what you intend to do at the instant of certification: Job trends and locations.
5. Maintain your morale. We all value our salad days although prefer the wine and roses part.

There is much more in your post than a ready answer will solve but I presume you came here for advice and there it is.

Best Wishes and I truly mean it.

NB: You have a good person in that roommate. Compliments to him/her.

NB2: A degree is never worthless. That is propaganda spun by folks prone to demagoguery. A person well read in History should know that.
Hey thanks i really appreciate it.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:40 PM

9 posts, read 13,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
You are facing nothing but an uphill battle getting a job teaching history. I know a history teacher that was just laid off from a pretty good school system and can't find work. I also know a science teacher who said Special Ed is the cert to get if you actually want to get a teaching job. His school is down over 35% in science teachers and they aren't being replaced. Most people with BAs in History don't have jobs that have anything to do with history. You might want to consider expanding your job search to retail management training positions, which typically require a degree of any type.

If you need to, get two jobs.

Don't beat yourself up too badly. I know a guy with a master's degree who is stocking shelves at a grocery store.
Yeah retail is definitely something i want to avoid now. Not only does the pay suck but people are rude. Im always constantly thinking i went to school for crappy jobs like this? I cant find a professional job and i even considered construction and i got no phone calls from that either after i put in countless apps. I just hope that ot gets better. I do like my major but i feel like it just didnt prepare me for the real world. Sometimes i wish i would have majored in business but i suck at math and yes i even heard they are having a hard time

Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 PM

8,279 posts, read 10,673,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Finish the certification. Teaching is a pretty secure job and you can probably find a job if you are willing to move out of your area. History might be a lousy choice, though. Look into what types of teachers are in demand and try to get certification in one of those areas. Usually you can add on a certification once you have basic licensure. In some cases, it's fairly easy. I took a handful of online courses and got certified to teach a high-needs area. Look at things like spec ed and esl. Forget getting a master's degree right now, unless you can do it cheaply and in an area that is definitely high-needs and will get you a job - it would probably be better to do that after you have a teaching job. You can't usually work as an administrator without teaching experience, anyway. Be willing to teach anything to any level - don't be afraid of elementary school, either. More jobs there usually.
It's going to take a bit more than that to change certifications, esp if he wants to become certified in a field like say, math. Math courses, unlike English or History, are usually sequential, and you can't progress from Calculus I to Calculus II until the following semester. Thus, it could take several years to become certified in a field other than one's original major. It's not as simple as taking a few on-line classes.

Maybe the OP could in fact do something like stock shelves at the local grocery store in the evening or night, and pursue further education during the day. He'll be looking at a very full schedule for a few years, but if it works out, these could be the "salad days" that he'll look back upon with a great degree of satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities