U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 03:04 PM

9 posts, read 13,147 times

Advertisements

Ok heres my situation. I graduated with a BA in history in 2007. I taught and even subbed but i was laid off because im not certified. When i came back this year i decided i wanted to teach but this was before all the budget cuts and layoffs. Now i just feel lost. I started my certification and my roommate thinks i should keep going. I do have a knack for teaching and it is fun but since ive come back, i cant find a job that pays over 9 dollars. My roommate is constantly helping me out and it makes me feel bad that i cant even make it on my own with a degree.

At this point i feel like my choices are that i can suck it up, finish my certification and hope for the best if i dont get hired this year.i can try to go for my masters in education and be an assistant principal or i can actually grow up and try to get a degree in anpther field that will actually pay decent but theres no guarantee ill get a job and it will take me two years maybe three. So what do i do? Im in my 30s with no career and im drowning in financial misery
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2011, 03:07 PM

26,343 posts, read 88,094,241 times
Sounds like either way you're two or three years away from getting a higher paying job?

Old 07-05-2011, 03:29 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,601,532 times
The budget cuts won’t last forever. Kids have to go to school. Education seems like your best bet and is what makes you happy. I suggest getting certified and then concentrate on getting a better money job to hold you over until the economy improves (maybe something like bartending?).

Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Maybe but im so confused as to what i should do. My roommate says i should work whatever jobs i can get right now until i find a teaching position.im constantly thinking of the future and if something was to ever happen, i dont want teaching to be the only thing that i can do. I also am tired of working minimum wage jobs with a BA degree

Old 07-05-2011, 03:49 PM

912 posts, read 1,247,020 times
There's no guarantee of a job for anyone regardless of their degree field IMHO.Go ahead get the certification.I wanted to go into that as a history major but was told bluntly there would be no jobs.

Last edited by edwardianlady; 07-05-2011 at 04:27 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 04:59 PM

Yes.i went into history because i like to read and write and i had read in plenty of books and magazines that alot of companies did not care what a person majored in as long as they had a degree and experience. Well in the real world it doesnt work that way. Why hire a liberal art grad when there are plenty of business majors that are looking for work? In the college handbook it says u can do business with a history degree as well as teach and go to grad school. this only reinforced my thinking. As for bartending, thats interesting i might look into that. Im just afraid of being stuck to only do one thing for the rest of my life, but a nurse can only do healthcare and a computer science grad can work and find only jobs with computers so i guess its the same thing. On top of that the masters in education is 100% online so thats a plus

Old 07-08-2011, 01:46 AM

159 posts, read 223,204 times
i feel the same way you do, i had an interview at a school today but it was for spanish, ive never even had one for history. Since there are mostly blue collar jobs where i am, i can forget doing anything besides either teaching or retail. I think the interview went ok but I also was under the impression that you could do alot more with a liberal arts degree. I guess i was wrong. Im still debating after this if i should go back to business school or not.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,175,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlessba View Post
Ok heres my situation. I graduated with a BA in history in 2007. I taught and even subbed but i was laid off because im not certified. When i came back this year i decided i wanted to teach but this was before all the budget cuts and layoffs. Now i just feel lost. I started my certification and my roommate thinks i should keep going. I do have a knack for teaching and it is fun but since ive come back, i cant find a job that pays over 9 dollars. My roommate is constantly helping me out and it makes me feel bad that i cant even make it on my own with a degree.

At this point i feel like my choices are that i can suck it up, finish my certification and hope for the best if i dont get hired this year.i can try to go for my masters in education and be an assistant principal or i can actually grow up and try to get a degree in anpther field that will actually pay decent but theres no guarantee ill get a job and it will take me two years maybe three. So what do i do? Im in my 30s with no career and im drowning in financial misery
Finish the certification. Teaching is a pretty secure job and you can probably find a job if you are willing to move out of your area. History might be a lousy choice, though. Look into what types of teachers are in demand and try to get certification in one of those areas. Usually you can add on a certification once you have basic licensure. In some cases, it's fairly easy. I took a handful of online courses and got certified to teach a high-needs area. Look at things like spec ed and esl. Forget getting a master's degree right now, unless you can do it cheaply and in an area that is definitely high-needs and will get you a job - it would probably be better to do that after you have a teaching job. You can't usually work as an administrator without teaching experience, anyway. Be willing to teach anything to any level - don't be afraid of elementary school, either. More jobs there usually.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,175,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historygrad View Post
i feel the same way you do, i had an interview at a school today but it was for spanish, ive never even had one for history. Since there are mostly blue collar jobs where i am, i can forget doing anything besides either teaching or retail. I think the interview went ok but I also was under the impression that you could do alot more with a liberal arts degree. I guess i was wrong. Im still debating after this if i should go back to business school or not.
I can't imagine who gave you the impression that a liberal arts degree was anything but worthless. Likewise, business school is not a good investment right now, unless you actually have business experience and a specific plan to make that work for you. Spanish is a good bet, though - if you are certified to teach spanish you should be able to get a teaching job. In my area, they are very much in demand. Perhaps you should consider moving.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:26 AM

8,088 posts, read 8,739,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthlessba View Post

A good axiom for life in general is to do what you are best at and finish what you start and so....

1. Finish the certification.
2. Work at whatever you need to do to be fiscally stable for the time being.
3. Do not lose sight of the end goal.
4. Prepare/plan now for what you intend to do at the instant of certification: Job trends and locations.
5. Maintain your morale. We all value our salad days although prefer the wine and roses part.

There is much more in your post than a ready answer will solve but I presume you came here for advice and there it is.

Best Wishes and I truly mean it.

NB: You have a good person in that roommate. Compliments to him/her.

NB2: A degree is never worthless. That is propaganda spun by folks prone to demagoguery. A person well read in History should know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities